Discussion topic: Do I have to have a call package to have a landline number?

This message was authored by planetwilson This message was authored by: planetwilson

Do I have to have a call package to have a landline number?

If i sign up to Sky and want to keep my landline number but have it as a VOIP number instead, do I have to take a call package or can I have no call package and just have it to accept incoming calls?

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: Do I have to have a call package to have a landline number?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@planetwilson  You don't need any calls package if you don't intend making any outbound calls, if you do they will be charged as Pay As you Go.

You'll still receive incoming calls.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@planetwilson  You don't need any calls package if you don't intend making any outbound calls, if you do they will be charged as Pay As you Go.

You'll still receive incoming calls.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@planetwilson wrote:

If i sign up to Sky and want to keep my landline number but have it as a VOIP number instead...

If you want to switch to Sky and keep your number, that may be possible, and if so, it will remain associated with your landline. I'm not clear what you mean by having it as a VOIP number instead..

planetwilson
Topic Author
This message was authored by planetwilson This message was authored by: planetwilson

Thanks, GD1 answered above.

The VOIP means that traditional copper wire service is getting removed all over the UK. You can continue to have a landline that works via the router aka Voice Over IP or VOIP. You plug the landline handset into the router instead. Means though that the phone won't work in a powr cut.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@planetwilson wrote:

The VOIP means that traditional copper wire service is getting removed all over the UK. You can continue to have a landline that works via the router aka Voice Over IP or VOIP. You plug the landline handset into the router instead. Means though that the phone won't work in a powr cut.

Yes, that has been standard when signing up with or switching to Sky for some time. If you're able to keep your number it will indeed be linked to your landline, delivered via your Sky Broadband Hub. It won't work in the event of a broadband outage either, of course. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion