Discussion topic: SyFi being rebranded as Sky Sci-Fi

This message was authored by digglerthelegend This message was authored by: digglerthelegend

SyFi being rebranded as Sky Sci-Fi

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/syfy-channel-becomes-sky-sci-fi/ 

The SyFy channel, which is available in the UK on Sky, NOW and Virgin Media, is getting a revamp next month with new shows and a new name: Sky Sci-Fi.

During its re-launch month, starting from July 26, viewers will get to see the long-awaited UK premiere of Canadian paranormal series SurrealEstate, featuring cast members Tim Rozon and Sarah Levy.

Also announced as brand new to the channel and airing in launch month, is zombie series Day of The Dead, inspired by George. A Romero’s horror movie, starring Keenan Tracey and Natalie Malaika.

As before, the channel will also remain home to older sci-fi classics, such as Star Trek, Stargate SG-1 and Quantum Leap. 

The channel will continue to have a linear version on the traditional pay-TV platforms, but all of its content will be available to stream on-demand on Sky’s streaming service NOW, as well as on Sky Glass (No word yet on whether the new channel’s catch-up content will be available on Virgin Media’s new Stream box).

The SyFy channel started its life as the Sci Fi Channel, a localised version of an American channel with the same name, owned by NBCUniversal. In 2010, both channels changed their names to the SyFy Channel.

Sky became co-owner of the UK channel when Comcast bought Sky (they also own NBCUniversal), and now, the circle is complete, with SyFy turning back into Sci-Fi. Sky Sci-Fi.

Zai Bennett, Managing Director, Content Sky UK and Ireland, said:

“From space adventures to futuristic fantasy, Sky Sci-Fi will be joining the host of genre-led brands launched in the past year and will offer a new universe for viewers to explore.

“The re-brand will make it easier for people to find exactly what they want, with fan favourites, a multitude of on-demand content, as well as a burst of exciting new shows for sci-fi fanatics”.

At launch, Sky Sci-Fi will offer a selection of genre films such as Bullet Train Down, Thor: God of Thunder and Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

The channel has also acquired Stephen King’s sought-after mini-series: IT and Salem’s Lot.

The changes will come into effect from 11:00am on Tuesday, July 26. The channel will be available on:

Sky Q (and older) – Channel 151

Sky Glass – Channel 116 (117 in Wales)

Virgin Media TV – Channel 138 (HD) and 139 (SD)

All Replies

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Re: SyFi being rebranded as Sky Sci-Fi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

That is good news.
Nice to see a refresh as it has become a little stale for content of late.
Still, its a channel I always watch  a fair bit on and probably even more soon.

🙂

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by redsky88 This message was authored by: redsky88

Hopefully they can improve the offering a bit as it had got quite poor recently. Salem's lot mini series is a winner all day long. Absolute classic. 

This message was authored by Metalsoul99 This message was authored by: Metalsoul99

Its not getting a revamp just becoming another excuse for Sky to show even more repeats.

Just because it has 'Sky' in front of the channel does not mean better programmes never has ,never will.

What next 'Sky Shopping, Sky Adult Channel ?'.

When my current contract ends its bye bye to Sky and to the chosen ones I really dont care what you think, you believe you are better than everyone when in fact the opposite is the case.

This message was authored by GuybrushThreepw This message was authored by: GuybrushThreepw

@Metalsoul99 wrote:

bye bye to Sky and to the chosen ones I really dont care what you think, you believe you are better than everyone when in fact the opposite is the case.

If that refers to the Oracles on here, that is exactly how it works; they are chosen by the community managers who oversee the forum.

I've seen plenty of Oracle posts on here; a few of the newer ones using stock templates to respond and at times aren't that helpful (to the questions asked). I have never seen an Oracle claim or elude to that they are indeed 'better' than anyone else on here (or in life)

Do they spend loads of their free time here, trying to help users, sure - that's how the site works and their overall success in helping gets them chosen.

From your own statement, you're saying that you believe that you are better than the chosen.

This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

@Metalsoul99 wrote:

Its not getting a revamp just becoming another excuse for Sky to show even more repeats.

Just because it has 'Sky' in front of the channel does not mean better programmes never has ,never will.

What next 'Sky Shopping, Sky Adult Channel ?'.

When my current contract ends its bye bye to Sky and to the chosen ones I really dont care what you think, you believe you are better than everyone when in fact the opposite is the case.

Sky Sci-Fi is getting a revamp. There are new shows and old shows coming. Thing is, not everyone has seen the older shows and nobody has seen the new shows. So give it a chance and maybe you'll find it's a good thing.

This message was authored by Metalsoul99 This message was authored by: Metalsoul99

I do not follow and obey everything Sky says and never will.

The so called rebranding is a joke it smacks of desperation.

For this to be a honest and truthful community those who subscribe should have a say on whats going on, not those who are chosen.

I have had replies from the chosen ones stating if I dont like what happenning with Sky find another provider and when I replied asking who put them in charge they never replied. 

I have never said I am better than anyone else and never will I just know it !

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

I have to query some of the content on this so-called " new " channel. For a start, why is True Blood on, it's a horror series, not science fiction. The same goes for Stephen King's It & Salem's Lot. Don't even get me started on Day Of The Dead, is this based on the classic George A. Romero science fiction film? I think not. Here's another one, Merlin, the medieval fantasy adventure series. So not Sci-fi then. Then there's Most Haunted.... why? Also, is this channel so starved for content already that it has to devote 3 hours every morning to teleshopping? Not a great start really.

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

@merv60 wrote:

I have to query some of the content on this so-called " new " channel. For a start, why is True Blood on, it's a horror series, not science fiction. The same goes for Stephen King's It & Salem's Lot. Don't even get me started on Day Of The Dead, is this based on the classic George A. Romero science fiction film? I think not. Here's another one, Merlin, the medieval fantasy adventure series. So not Sci-fi then. Then there's Most Haunted.... why? Also, is this channel so starved for content already that it has to devote 3 hours every morning to teleshopping? Not a great start really.

And why is Futurama on this channel when it is already on Sky Comedy? Like I said, starved for content.

This message was authored by GuybrushThreepw This message was authored by: GuybrushThreepw

@Metalsoul99 wrote:

When my current contract ends its bye bye to Sky

I'm sure you'll be missed...you won't miss the "chosen ones" though..😏

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

We're all allowed an opinion and the forum welcomes a discussion but please, let's keep in mind the Community Rules.

Particularly number 1 🙂

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@merv60 wrote:

@merv60 I agree with you in regards to the content type although the Horror channel never just showed horror they had as much if not more sci fi even now after the changes, horror xtra shows just as much sci fi as horror I get the feeling that these channels tend to think that horror and sci fi go hand in hand/are interchangable oh and also add in some fantasy as well 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@merv60 wrote

• And why is Futurama on this channel when it is already on Sky Comedy? Like I said, starved for content.

Because 

1. It is brilliant

2. It is both sci fi and a comedy series

3. It is brilliant 

For the other points raised, defining sci fi is a very difficult task but one of the reasons horror is part of sci fi is that speculative fiction is the broader term for what futuristic sci fi and horror are both part of.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by StargazerUK1984 This message was authored by: StargazerUK1984

I am so glad SyFi has been given to sky and rebranded, The best bit I noticed was the on demand content and ota broadcast finally getting 5.1 audio which was way way long over due.

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

Syfy was folded into Sky operations back in April 2019 after Comcast bought Sky

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019/04/08/comcast-reorganises-sky-and-nbcu-channel-and-content-asse...

Westworld S1 and S2 were shown on in 2020 aswell the complete series of The Leftovers, some Sky Original dramas have been shown on it this year.

There is probably a reason why it wasn't rebranded earlier.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion