Discussion topic: SyFi being rebranded as Sky Sci-Fi

This message was authored by NTrev This message was authored by: NTrev

Re: SyFi being rebranded as Sky Sci-Fi

Can't see the point of this so-called update. Much of what is described as new content doesn't really fit with sci-fi and the +1 channel has been removed. Why is Sky constantly dumbing down and removing content? Don't see any price decreases to compensate.

This message was authored by redsky88 This message was authored by: redsky88

To me Sky seem to be cleaning up their channels with clear Sky branding and a clear message of what to expect. As more channels disappear over time they will need a clear portfolio of channel brands to show they cater for as broad an audience as possible to keep the service going as long as possible.

Sci-fi and horror have always been lumped together as fantastical drama so not surprised to see both appearing. 

They are launching some pretty big shows on the channel now and in the near future so I can't see what there is to complain about, the old Syfy had become very stale and now there's OD content as well. 

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

I see this channel has yet another classic sci-fi film on next week, The Evil Dead. 🙄 Here's an idea or two. Sky introduces a dedicated horror channel or rename this one & call it what it is - Sky Sci-fi/Horror.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@merv60 wrote:

I see this channel has yet another classic sci-fi film on next week, The Evil Dead. 🙄 Here's an idea or two. Sky introduces a dedicated horror channel or rename this one & call it what it is - Sky Sci-fi/Horror.

@merv60  Not possible when the channel already exists (311)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

@merv60  Not possible when the channel already exists (311)

Okay then, call it Sky Horror/Sci-fi, that won't cause any confusion. 😀 

This message was authored by Adethecake This message was authored by: Adethecake

Missed opportunity, they should've gone with Sky-Fi....

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Adethecake wrote:

Missed opportunity, they should've gone with Sky-Fi....

...cue Sky Broadband users renaming their SSID 😉

Or those named Brian to Bri-Fi

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by PATV+Scunthorpe This message was authored by: PATV+Scunthorpe

The recent launch of, and rebranding to, genre based Sky channels is Sky preparing for the future.

The linear channels will only last so long, but the branding can survive in an on-demand future, as seen when you navigate to On Demand > Sky channels then scroll down to see the thumbnails with all the Sky brands, at the moment it obviously groups together all the programming that Sky has made or acquired to show on the specific channel...

But in the future, the brands could have the option to become more upfront and (for example) the 'Sky Nature' category could contain all nature programming available on the platform, from Sky's collection to programmes from the BBC and Netflix.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion