Discussion topic: How can I Get rid of sign language

This message was authored by redginger This message was authored by: redginger

How can I Get rid of sign language

google has now got this annoying person doing sign languagecon the screen. I need to get rid of it asap

Best Answers
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Re: How can I Get rid of sign language

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@redginger wrote:

I was watching google box on 135sky it has never had signing before. But there is SL on the info bit.  -very very annoying we should have a choice to turn it off ASAP 

You cannot turn it off as it does not work like subtitles, as I said above it is part of the broadcast, Sign Language is usually added to a repeat broadcast yu will need to find the original broadcast that does not have the signer in the corner

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Sign Language is normally part of the recording and cannot be removed, you need to find the non-sign language version

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Yes, if a programme or film has S/L in its description, then the sign language is part of the broadcast.

What are you watching and what station with the sign language?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
redginger
Topic Author
This message was authored by redginger This message was authored by: redginger

I was watching google box on 135sky it has never had signing before. But there is SL on the info bit.  -very very annoying we should have a choice to turn it off ASAP 

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@redginger wrote:

You've chosen the wrong version to download/record/watch 

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

@redginger wrote:

You cannot turn it off as it does not work like subtitles, as I said above it is part of the broadcast, Sign Language is usually added to a repeat broadcast yu will need to find the original broadcast that does not have the signer in the corner

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

E4 are broadcasting old episodes of gogglebox late at night with signed language for people for those with hearing difficulties

As public broadcasters, Both channel 4 and bbc use late night times to broadcast programmes with sign language. So those with such an impairment, can record these programmes.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@redginger wrote:

I was watching [Gogglebox] on 135sky it has never had signing before. But there is SL on the info bit.  -very very annoying we should have a choice to turn it off ASAP 

God forbid, watching a show designed for accessibility has inconvenienced you so much. Not everyone is seeing or hearing. (Sarcasm) Also, as previously stated, it's built into the programme.

In all honestly, subtitles and sign language should be on on all programmes (where available) by default. 

This message was authored by GuybrushThreepw This message was authored by: GuybrushThreepw

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, as previously stated, it's built into the programme.

No real point in mentioning it again then!

@Anonymous wrote:

In all honestly, subtitles and sign language should be on on all programmes (where available) by default. 

Not forgetting audio description...and then the option to turn them all/any off for those that do not require them.

This message was authored by SteveieL This message was authored by: SteveieL

That's what hand programme changers are for. Companies shouldn't put them on things permanently because if you are hard of hearing great! I Have dyspraxia and dyslexia and it can be extremely annoying and distracting watching a programme. AND, there are many more people with my condition who watch programs with signing than there are hard-of-hearing ones! So lets leave it up to the changers to let the viewer decide!

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Signing is usually put on the repeat of a programme in the early hours, the viewer has the choice of watching or recording the first broadcast of the programme that will not have a signer in the corner

Signing is not the same as subtitles there would be too much data involved to allow the turning on and off of the signing

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

Programming with sign language should have (SL) in the program synopsis 

so the key is to download/record a version that does/doesn't include the indicator depending on individual preference 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@SKY1992bf wrote:

Programming with sign language should have (SL) in the program synopsis 

so the key is to download/record a version that does/doesn't include the indicator depending on individual preference 

Not always the case..

Take the recently aired Celebrity Masterchef which I deleted the last episodes without watching by mistake. Going to catch up/on demand series 18 ep 15-18 had sign language but no SL symbol in the synopsis (with no option to change in formats)

The non SL version however could be found on iPlayer.

Ps. In reply to @Anonymous statement "In all honestly, subtitles and sign language should be on on all programmes (where available) by default." I think that's rubbish, it should be an option to have SL on all programmes but not make us all watch everything with sign language !

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by Eileendorus1914 This message was authored by: Eileendorus1914

How to get rid of sign language whilst watching an episode of poirot.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Eileendorus1914 wrote:

How to get rid of sign language whilst watching an episode of poirot.

Please read the answers already given, unless you think your question isn't the same in which case tell us why.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion