Discussion topic: bbc closing channels banner

This message was authored by bigringtommo1 This message was authored by: bigringtommo1

bbc closing channels banner

hello my mother has a skyplus hd box,every 20mins or so it comes up with a banner advising that bbc are closing their sd channels on jan 8th.its now jan 12th and the box is displaying bbc channels fine in hd, but the banner keeps coming up telling us to ring ( its a sky number but the system wont let me put it in this post) to upgrade to skyq. my mother is a frail 83 year old who would not understand sky q and wants to keep her present box but is getting stressed by the banner(and sky who continually pester her to take sky q)i use the same sky plus hd box at home and it has never shown this banner(we do subscribe to sky hd)but surely the bbc channels are not charged for by sky ?.we have put up with this banner for months now,and been fobbed of by sky who have promised to send us a new viewing card.mother has just told me that sky have rung her 3 times this week to try to get her to upgrade !! this is unacceptable,i suspect she needs the new viewing card !.she has no internet and the sky plus hd box is not connected to the phone line would connecting it(a bit of a pain from where phone is) to the phone line tempory get rid of banner ??please help us

nigel for his mother maureen

Best Answers
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

Re: bbc closing channels banner

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bigringtommo1  The message should only appear on the sd version if she can access the hd version those are the ones she needs to be watching live and recording from which won't include the banner 

there is no option to remove the message has it's embedded into the broadcast 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

@bigringtommo1  The message should only appear on the sd version if she can access the hd version those are the ones she needs to be watching live and recording from which won't include the banner 

there is no option to remove the message has it's embedded into the broadcast 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@bigringtommo1 Sky don't charge for watching BBC1 HD. The fact that your mother has been seeing the banner for months indicates that she's watching the SD variant not HD (it doesn't appear on HD broadcasts which is probably why you haven't seen it).

A replacement Viewing Card won't fix this,

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

hi @bigringtommo1 

I don;t have such a box  but, as well as SKY Q, I also have an independent Satellite reciever.

Checking all the SD channels that are still there they all seem to have stopped the normal TV channel completely with a message starting 'This service has now closed.......' (as expected)

I am thus a little puzzled by the periodic message you say your Mother is getting.which I am guessing is one of the HD channels if she is able to watch in between the messages 

That said I guess there is a vague chance that there is one regional feed that I have not fully checked that has for some reason not  ended - in which case can you advise which region

Also please may I ask for another bit of info - although  I can't advise how to do this  but others here might be able to advise - if it is possible to easily show the frequency of the channel she is getting the messages on 

I do  wonder if  there was some additional message sent to some boxes that seems to have got stuck.

Please may I suggest you get her to do a complete power down restart of her box (i.e. switch off at mains or unplug and wait >30s before re-applying power). 

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

There have been some reports in the past of Sky+HD users getting an on screen "For Your Information" message from Sky (not the message that was embedded in the now closed BBC SD service) advising them to upgrade to Sky Q, even though there is no need as their boxes are able to receive the BBC HD channels. As a message generated by the box, it can be dismissed by pressing back up. 

Edit: this is the Sky generated  message that has been reported by some Sky+HD users: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/94329i70B297511D440BB0/image-dimensions/2000?... 

bigringtommo1
Topic Author
This message was authored by bigringtommo1 This message was authored by: bigringtommo1

xenon 81 thanks for your help thelink you posted show the onscreen message that displays on her box,it happens on all channels not just bbc ones and ive done the switching of box and removing card etc with no success

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

It would be pointless connecting the phone line....  I it the box is not connected to the internet?

From what you've she doesn't subscribe to HD?

The Sky system my think the box is SD if it's never had a HD subscription applied to it?

Also check the software details on the box perhaps it needs a forced update?

Exiled in HH

@bigringtommo1 wrote:

xenon 81 thanks for your help thelink you posted show the onscreen message that displays on her box,it happens on all channels not just bbc ones and ive done the switching of box and removing card etc with no success

Hi @bigringtommo1 

To assist in tracking down this message we have been asked if you can obtain the model number of you Mother's box.

I believe you can find this out from :

Services - Settings - Details / System Details

Possibly also obtain  the current Software version.as well

TIA

bigringtommo1
Topic Author

hello  the details of the system are

model number r024.092.11.00p

version number 4f3134

(removed)

hope somrbody can help as its driving mother crazy

i couldnt find a way to update the software

cheers

Nigel

Moderator note: Removed personal/identifiable details

Many thanks for your post with  the info @bigringtommo1 

As it also contained the viewing card it has been moved to an area not visible to the public.

We will pass this info on

bigringtommo1
Topic Author

hello Fanni my mother has not got any means of accessing the internet at her house,if connecting the box to the internet would help matters i can  take the box to my house and plug it into my dish and router.

bigringtommo1
Topic Author

@Kelsingra  my mother has not got any internet i could take her box to my house and plug it into my router if that would help ?

This message was authored by Kelsingra This message was authored by: Kelsingra

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @bigringtommo1 

Thank you for your answer 🙂

Yes that might help, we have a couple of ideas what causing the issue, but we need the box to be connected to the internet for some troubleshooting. 

I will escalate your case to our Community Messaging Team, and when you managed to connect the box to the internet, you can start the conversation with them.

You're looking for the chat bubble in the bottom corner of the thread.
For more information on how the service works, click here https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

Thanks,

Fanni
Community Moderator
This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent an invite to @bigringtommo1 to chat.

bigringtommo1
Topic Author

hyello it will be sunday before i can  connect the box to the internet

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion