Discussion topic: Sky + series link increasingly unreliable, and just WRONG

This message was authored by Irish-Steve This message was authored by: Irish-Steve

Sky + series link increasingly unreliable, and just WRONG

It seems that there are increasingly regular problems across a wide range of channels with series link being either wrong, or missing, and it's getting worse over time.

Is series link effectlvely a dead concept that's just being allowed to die as a result of neglect? I find myself wondering if the channel providers want to see time shift recording killed off, as they don't like viewers being able to skip all the advertising, particularly on the channels carrying mostly American content, it's one of the main reasons why we use time shift recording, we value our time, and can watch far more real content when we skip over endless repetitive advertising.

Today is just the latest example, the Legend channel shows Star Trek Next generation as a repeat of the shows that have been broadcast during the week, starting at 10am, and showing 5 shows sequentially.

Today, there were 2 problems, the first was that the 1pm program did not correctly series link, and on closer investigation, it turns out that there was an episode omitted, and the series links were also missing.

There have been similar issues on a regular basis recently with RTE, and BBC, as well as Sky controlled channels, and another issue is where a second showing of the same programme is being incorrectly set up to record, and the scheduled show for a week later is then not put into the planner.

Is it really so hard to get these sorts of things right, given that most of the data being used is being taken from a database, and in quite a few cases, the database has existed for years, and should not be a problem, it's not as if the shows are new and never been seen before.

I'm becoming very irritated by these issues, we pay a significant premium to get what used to be a premium service, but it's increasingly evident that it's NOT a premium service any more, I wonder if it's time to look at alternatives.

As for what those alternatives are, it's not easy, it seems that Sky Q is no longer their preferred option, and Sky Glass won't work for us, the screen sizes don't suit the room, and the place the screen goes into, so we may be forced to move anyway, and if we do, then Sky won't be an option any more.

Shore, if twas easy we'd all be doin it!

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Sky + series link increasingly unreliable, and just WRONG

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Irish-Steve wrote:

As for what those alternatives are, it's not easy, it seems that Sky Q is no longer their preferred option...

That would be simply because Sky Glass is a newer product, but Sky Q is absolutely still an alternative option, still supported and being developed and will be for the foreseeable future.

Sky Stream might be an option, as it connects to your existing TV, but Glass/Stream and Sky Q are quite different products, most notably the former has no local recording service.  

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Irish-Steve All I can say is that I have hardly any issues with Series Links (and I record a lot). The accuracy of series links is down to the relevant channel. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by LouCar This message was authored by: LouCar

I've noticed it's not being offer (series link) for programs that definitely have multiple up coming episodes (Kin RTE1 S2 e1 for example) or Judge Judy (on Virgin and CBS real crime channel)- definitely multiple ones available there 😅 and have had series link options before!

I'm not sure where the issue is but individual recordings only is no real use 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@LouCar wrote:

I've noticed it's not being offer (series link) for programs that definitely have multiple up coming episodes (Kin RTE1 S2 e1 for example) or Judge Judy (on Virgin and CBS real crime channel)- definitely multiple ones available there 😅 and have had series link options before!

I'm not sure where the issue is but individual recordings only is no real use 

@LouCar These examples should be reported to Viewer Relations at viewerR@sky.uk , they will chase them up with the channels concerned. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by Serieslink1 This message was authored by: Serieslink1

1st Feb 24 and my series link on channel 148 legend disappeared, it was supposed to be recording deep space nine. I noticed while I was scrolling through the TV guide that sky sci fi channel 139 was showing a series 5 episode   (legend is on series 7), I suspect that sky sci-fi has just started showing deep space nine again after taking a break. Both channels are owned by sky, I reckon it's caused a Glitch in programming 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Serieslink1 wrote:

1st Feb 24 and my series link on channel 148 legend disappeared, it was supposed to be recording deep space nine. I noticed while I was scrolling through the TV guide that sky sci fi channel 139 was showing a series 5 episode   (legend is on series 7), I suspect that sky sci-fi has just started showing deep space nine again after taking a break. Both channels are owned by sky, I reckon it's caused a Glitch in programming 

You can report TV Guide issues (including series links) by emailing viewerR@sky.uk (Viewer Relations Team)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion