Discussion topic: Why upgrade from Sky HD+ to Sky Q?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Why upgrade from Sky HD+ to Sky Q?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I'm afraid not.

This message was authored by Oliver+Burnouf This message was authored by: Oliver+Burnouf

Then Sky Q is not for me. I won't switch as long as my SKY+ box works.

Thank you very much!!!

Have a great Easter weekend

@Oliver+Burnouf wrote:

Thank you very much!!!

My previous posts wasn't very clear. You can't copy in HD. but an HDMI to scart converter might work (some don't) by converting the HDMI output to composite SD which your DVR should be able to record. 

This message was authored by StevieD54 This message was authored by: StevieD54

Today I've had yet another email from Sky offering a free upgrade to a SkyQ box. Now I've no idea whether it's better/worse/no different to our Sky+ box, but, and this is a big but……we use a magic eye enabled by cable running from our lounge through to the kitchen tv, and I've read that the SkyQ box does not have an RF for this cable, so we would lose our kitchen connection. This is non negotiable.  I'm hoping our Sky+ box will continue to work ok for many years, can I expect it to?

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@StevieD54 wrote:

Today I've had yet another email from Sky offering a free upgrade to a SkyQ box. Now I've no idea whether it's better/worse/no different to our Sky+ box, but, and this is a big but……we use a magic eye enabled by cable running from our lounge through to the kitchen tv, and I've read that the SkyQ box does not have an RF for this cable, so we would lose our kitchen connection. This is non negotiable.  I'm hoping our Sky+ box will continue to work ok for many years, can I expect it to?

@StevieD54 probably yes but only as long as the satellites are working , they are currently expected to be obsolete by the end of the decade 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

@StevieD54 wrote:

I'm hoping our Sky+ box will continue to work ok for many years, can I expect it to?

It might. But bear in mind the most recent Sky+HD boxes are 8/9 years old, and hard drives don't last forever. 

You're right, Sky Q boxes have no RF output that you can use with a magic eye setup  Sky's solution would be a Mini box for your kitchen. An alternative, albeit not very cheap solution that would enable you to continue to use your existing coax setup would be an HDMI/RF modulator.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Mark39 wrote:

@Oliver+Burnouf wrote:

Thank you very much!!!

My previous posts wasn't very clear. You can't copy in HD. but an HDMI to scart converter might work (some don't) by converting the HDMI output to composite SD which your DVR should be able to record. 

@Oliver+Burnouf whilst the above maybe technically possible it's against sky's terms and conditions to do so 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by StevieD54 This message was authored by: StevieD54

Mark39……you said

"An alternative, albeit not very cheap solution that would enable you to continue to use your existing coax setup would be an HDMI/RF modulator". Not very cheap meaning? £20/£50/£100?  And what is this gizmo anyway?

All I need is a way of sending the Sky picture from the box in the lounge to our kitchen tv.

This message was authored by Oliver+Burnouf This message was authored by: Oliver+Burnouf

Thanks!

I didn't know.

This message was authored by moyze This message was authored by: moyze

They have told me that they are going to stop upgrading my sky+ box. I am thinking of Sky-q, but my husband is suffering with dementia and at times he gets muddled and we are not watching what he wants.  This is now with the sky we have had for years so goodness knows what will happen if i get Q, and the sport on the telly is his solace.  His condition will only get worse, so is there a simple remote for people with this condition? 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@moyze 

There hasn't been any major updates on Sky+ for a good while now so if you are happy with what you have got then you do not need to upgrade.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@moyze wrote:

They have told me that they are going to stop upgrading my sky+ box. 

There are no relevant 'upgrades': Sky+  HD will never output UHD or host apps.

The communication from Sky is frankly something of a red herring, and it's quite possible that both the legacy platform and Sky Q (which is itself now eight years old) will continue up to the end of satellite television broadcasting, which may now arrive before the end of this decade.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion