Discussion topic: Sky+hd box slow to access catch up and box sets

This message was authored by lesley2957 This message was authored by: lesley2957

Sky+hd box slow to access catch up and box sets

Over the past few days my sky +hd box has been intermittently slow when I have tried to access the catch up services and sky box sets. When clicking on the relevant tile there is considerable delay in it opening up and displaying the drop down menu and then another delay when you try and click on the service requires. Sometimes it is so slow that there is an error message saying that the box isnt connected to online services (but the internet connection is OK and  box reports (via services >setting>network) its connection to broadband router is OK and its connection to ondemand is OK)  and  This problem is intermittent and the box will work fine and there is never any problem accessing the planner, recording, changing channels. 

I have noticed there are several posts with similar but not identical difficulties. Is this a problem with a sky update , a problem with my remote or is the hard drive failing? 

Many thanks for any comments

Best Answers
This message was authored by KevNewMedia This message was authored by: KevNewMedia Answer

Re: Sky+hd box slow to access catch up and box sets

Posted by a Sky employee

Hello Everyone

Thank you so much for bringing this problem to our attention.

I've raised the issue with our support teams and will update everyone when we have more information.

I've marked the thread as answered, so that people don't need to read the entire thread to get an update.

EDIT 3/1/24: Can you please post who your ISP is?

Thanks
Kev
Community Manager

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The problem isn't related to a Sky update - there hasn't been any recent update for Sky+ boxes. If the red LED in the remote end flashes immediately when you press the buttons, there's no delay in transmitting a command. 

Try rebuilding your Planner as described here: https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-tv/sky-tv-plus/sky-plus-watching-sky-tv/sky-plus-recordings/articl...

This message was authored by LittleRob99 This message was authored by: LittleRob99

I've got the same problem. For the last few days catchup, and some of the other on-demand services are really slow.

This message was authored by Oddie2004 This message was authored by: Oddie2004

I have had this for over a week but only in the evening between 9pm and 1030pm.Tried planner rebuild and made no difference.Also says no broadband connection which is rubbish and also many programmes unavailable on catch up.Seem to remember a similar thing last year round about the same time.May be something to do with loading all the xmas programmes but unlikely.

This message was authored by Mackemholic This message was authored by: Mackemholic

I've over the last week been having the same problem, so obviously it a sky problem and not just individual boxes. 

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Mackemholic wrote:

I've over the last week been having the same problem, so obviously it a sky problem and not just individual boxes. 

It could also be a broadband issue, there are many parts to the equation that could cause this

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Mackemholic wrote:

Not noticed any issues here 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by Oddie2004 This message was authored by: Oddie2004

Still happening and no resolution in site.Messages on screen inc check your broadband connection,unable to access catch up and generally very slow in loading catch up.Only happens in the evening between 9-10.30pm.There are no broadband issues as my internet,etc are fine.Just another issue Sky are unable to resolve due their general complacency and incompetence.

@Oddie2004 wrote:

Still happening and no resolution in site.Messages on screen inc check your broadband connection,unable to access catch up and generally very slow in loading catch up.Only happens in the evening between 9-10.30pm.There are no broadband issues as my internet,etc are fine.Just another issue Sky are unable to resolve due their general complacency and incompetence.

That statement is not true as not all Internet traffic takes the same route, it is always possible to have just one service be broken between you and the service. It is very difficult to pin down the cause when only a few are having an issue and the many combinations of ISP and location

lesley2957
Topic Author
This message was authored by lesley2957 This message was authored by: lesley2957

Yes this is exactly the problem that I posted initially. Its the fact that it is only a problem with catch up  at around 9pm (and it is happening every evening) and there is no problem for the rest of the day that is suggestive that it is a problem at Skys end rather than a problem with our boxs or internet connection.  However I dont think this will be resolved by Sky now until the New Year.

Thank you for your comments

lesley2957
Topic Author

Annie I dont think what you are saying is correct that this is an internet issue It is only a problem at aroung 9pm every evening and when you look at the setting the box is reporting that the connection to the broadband router and on demand is OK. (and thats not changed). 

@lesley2957 wrote:

Yes this is exactly the problem that I posted initially. Its the fact that it is only a problem with catch up  at around 9pm (and it is happening every evening) and there is no problem for the rest of the day that is suggestive that it is a problem at Skys end rather than a problem with our boxs or internet connection.  However I dont think this will be resolved by Sky now until the New Year.

Nope, could be a misconfigured router at some ISP for example, there are many things that can cause routing issues, I have had services go down that were caused by issues that were totally unrelated to the service in question, the Internet is quite complicated and things are not as black and white as you are thinking

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Annie+UK wrote:

@lesley2957 wrote:

Nope, could be a misconfigured router at some ISP for example, there are many things that can cause routing issues, I have had services go down that were caused by issues that were totally unrelated to the service in question, the Internet is quite complicated and things are not as black and white as you are thinking

I agree with @Annie+UK . The fact that only a handful of Sky+ users are reporting the problem here is rather more suggestive that it's not a general Sky issue, but more an individual broadband issue.

lesley2957
Topic Author

How do I solve this problem? 

@lesley2957 wrote:

How do I solve this problem? 

Do all your on demand downloads in the morning it's not like they follow a schedule and need to be downloaded during your problem time

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion