Discussion topic: On demand download failure Sky+

This message was authored by emteepeeess This message was authored by: emteepeeess

Sky downloads still not working

Despite the thread being locked as fixed at the Sky end - the problem still exists.

I had a call from Sky a couple of days ago, but could only speak with them today.

"We've made some changes at our end and hope that yours is now working" [paraphrasing]

But, with him on the phone I found that I still have exactly the same problem. It hasn't been fixed.

He admitted that it hadn't fixed everyone, and they're still looking into it.

So why the thread has been locked as "fixed" I've no idea.

This message was authored by emteepeeess This message was authored by: emteepeeess

Re: On demand download failure Sky+

@Annie+UK wrote:

If there is one single issue then explain the multiple fixes people have used, would not the same fix work for all? 🙄

Your lack of logical reasoning astounds me 😞

Insulting people isn't really the way to go.

Surely you understand that a single issue can have many workarounds, and if the "same fix" is one of those workarounds (rather than an actualy fix), it may not work for everyone as @PocketDog suggests

This message was authored by MR66 This message was authored by: MR66

Paying for a service that is not being provided is so annoying.  Anyway as I've said before I'm off when my discounted contract is up. No help what so ever 😡

This message was authored by PocketDog This message was authored by: PocketDog

Currently on the phone to Sky (as email complaints were going nowhere) , they are aware of the changes that were made and there are ongoing issues.

I've given him all the details and he has gone off to talk to a colleague. 

Im now out of my discounted period so happy to cancel now.  At least they acknowledged it (small mercies). Will update when off the call. 

Ok so they have handed it back to their technical team and in the meantime they want me to go back to Plusnet to see if the router needs any config changes/updates (apparently ISPs made some updates due to some issue that may be blocking content) as they think that as it works using a neighbours router or tethered internet, it works. 

I explained thats there are several users all with the same issue all with different routers and different ISPs and were all affected at the same time, but they still want it checked.  

Apparently their tech team do look here and also give updates.  Shocking considering we keep bleating on that we still have issues.  I also explained about the other thread being closed and "answered" when the issue has not been resolved for a single person by Sky, they have all had to find a work around themselves (i.e new router, new ISP, tethering, Sky Q, or just cancelling).

I expect this to drop in to another black hole so in the mean time, I'm on my 31 days notice. 

Apologies for being a little off topic, but you gotta hand it to Sky, make it as difficult as possible to cancel......!

The easiest method would be to do it through My Sky, where you can make any other changes. But no, it's either use a chat bot that sits there forever waiting for an agent or wait on the line forever for an agent,  Because we all have hours to waste, sigh..............

Could try email but too much chance for it to go unacknowledged, and I had this reply for using the online form.....

Mail a Sky expert:

Sorry, after checking your account, we won't be able to manage your request via our online form.

In the end, I had someone answer on the phone line before the chat agent came through  😁

This message was authored by Steve0001 This message was authored by: Steve0001

@PocketDog wrote:

Ok so they have handed it back to their technical team and in the meantime they want me to go back to Plusnet to see if the router needs any config changes/updates (apparently ISPs made some updates due to some issue that may be blocking content) as they think that as it works using a neighbours router or tethered internet, it works. 

I explained thats there are several users all with the same issue all with different routers and different ISPs and were all affected at the same time, but they still want it checked.  

Apparently their tech team do look here and also give updates.  Shocking considering we keep bleating on that we still have issues.  I also explained about the other thread being closed and "answered" when the issue has not been resolved for a single person by Sky, they have all had to find a work around themselves (i.e new router, new ISP, tethering, Sky Q, or just cancelling).

I expect this to drop in to another black hole so in the mean time, I'm on my 31 days notice. 

Thanks @PocketDog 

I too am on Plusnet and so I would be interested to hear if they did make changes around the end of January that might have caused this issue. I'm on a Netgear D6000 router and have no other issues with any other internet access apart from Sky downloads.

For the benefit of others,  I have indicated before (on the first thread) that my workaround is the tethering (wired ethernet to usb-c adaptor) off the mobile phone/EE network for the first 1% of the download. I then stop the download on the phone and 'resume download' by plugging the ethernet cable back into the router/Plusnet for the last 99%. It works and, as I have said before, it seems to be a permission issue for the download to start (permission granted on mobile 4G/EE). Once started (i.e. 1% downloaded onto the Sky box hard drive) , the download permission check seemingly isn't carried out again by the Sky box, it just goes ahead and uses the router/Plusnet to complete the download, as it used to do (and should do) from scratch.

The above is just an FYI and I know that it is not not something most would bother with and nor should you have to! I am no tech expert but this doesn't seem to be a speed issue.

@Steve0001 wrote:

The above is just an FYI and I know that it is not not something most would bother with and nor should you have to! I am no tech expert but this doesn't seem to be a speed issue.

Yep it's definitely not a speed issue and seems like a permission issue.

This message was authored by AliDun This message was authored by: AliDun

@PocketDog The fact that we can all download BBC programmes definitely makes it seem like a permission issue. 

And the fact our ISPs allow us to download Sky On Demand content on the same internet connection to the Sky Go app, show's its not inherently an ISP issue.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that changing the MTU size from 1500 to either 1491 or 1480 in your router settings might help (though you can't do that with a Sky router).

I can't vouch for it personally as I don't have the download issue, so am just passing it on as a suggestion....

This message was authored by AliDun This message was authored by: AliDun

Thanks for trying to help @Mark39

Didnt work for me I'm afraid - mine was already set to 1480 and I tried 1491 just to see but no joy.

@AliDun wrote:

@PocketDog The fact that we can all download BBC programmes definitely makes it seem like a permission issue. 

Possibly - but if BBC (and ITV, which also works for me) uses a different Content Delivery Network to the others then it may be something else.

I had a call from Sky a couple of days ago saying that they're sending out an engineer on 31st.

I'm not entirely sure what the engineer can do, unless he's particularly up on network issues. But we'll see.

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

@emteepeeess wrote:

@AliDun wrote:

Possibly - but if BBC (and ITV, which also works for me) uses a different Content Delivery Network to the others then it may be something else.

All Sky's on demand content, including BBC and ITV, is served from cdn.sky.com 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion