Discussion topic: Sky box doesn’t connect to internet

This message was authored by Millie5 This message was authored by: Millie5

Sky box doesn’t connect to internet

I tried to reset connection but it did work - it heat searching what should I do

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Sky box doesn’t connect to internet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Millie5 wrote:

Hi thanks for your reply.  It asks me to press and hold the WPS on broadband router which I assume is the one which corresponds to the remote? I don't find any WPS on Wi-Fi router.  So I tried to press the one on the sky box directly connected to TV but it's not working

Hi @Millie5 

Using the one on the Q box will not connect it to the router.  You can only use WPS on the Sky Q broadband router

Location on Sky Broadband router is shown below

oldfella_0-1691402294249.png

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@Millie5 wrote:

I tried to reset connection but it did work - it heat searching what should I do

Hi @Millie5 

Assume this. Is your main Q box.
Did you carry out a Network reset on the Q box.

Network Reset found in main Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Follow instructions to connect by WiFi to your router.
If you are on Sky broadband you will be asked to press the WPS button on the Sky router. (Not on the Q box as the Network reset will start the main Q box WPS automatically). Make sure you press the WPS button on the Sky router and not the reset button.
if you are on 3rd party (non Sky ) broadband then you need to enter the SSID and password for the router 2.4 Ghz WiFi band.

Millie5
Topic Author

Hi thanks for your reply.  It asks me to press and hold the WPS on broadband router which I assume is the one which corresponds to the remote? I don't find any WPS on Wi-Fi router.  So I tried to press the one on the sky box directly connected to TV but it's not working

Millie5
Topic Author

i tried to connect through the second option which is to connect through Wi-Fi not supplied by Sky where I need to input password as my Wi-Fi router doesn't have a WPS button but it was unsuccessful as well

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@Millie5 wrote:

Hi @Millie5 

Using the one on the Q box will not connect it to the router.  You can only use WPS on the Sky Q broadband router

Location on Sky Broadband router is shown below

oldfella_0-1691402294249.png

Millie5
Topic Author

Hi thank you very much it was a hard work to find that button! It's solved now.

This message was authored by JulzB This message was authored by: JulzB

I'm having the same issue - no internet connection according to Sky Q but all other devices are connected. I've followed the reset instructions and entered my password carefully several times, checking that it's correct. Repeatedly told that connection is unsuccessful & to check password. I don't know what else to do. My connection is via a dual band gaming router (I don't know what this is I had to look it up). I'd welcome some help. 

This message was authored by Gemmahutch This message was authored by: Gemmahutch

I've done all this but still not connecting, please help I'm going to cry. What do I try next 

I eventually unplugged everything from the wall, went for a bath to relax & when I plugged it all back in again, although I got the same "not connected " message, when I put the password in it connected and has stayed that way. For now. 🤞

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@Gemmahutch wrote:

I've done all this but still not connecting, please help I'm going to cry. What do I try next 

Which ISP?

Virgin Media but maybe the disconnect for longer will "reboot" the system. I'm afraid I'm not technical at all & thought I'd have to wait for my brother to come back from holiday. This was merely an act of desperation & hope. 😂

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

@JulzB wrote:

Virgin Media but maybe the disconnect for longer will "reboot" the system. I'm afraid I'm not technical at all & thought I'd have to wait for my brother to come back from holiday. This was merely an act of desperation & hope. 😂

Glad yours is working now, but my question was to Gemma 🙂

Sorry. It came up in my inbox!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion