Discussion topic: Contacting Sky

This message was authored by ferry1949 This message was authored by: ferry1949

Contacting Sky

I left Sky because they failed to offer fibre broadband but wanted to charge the same fee when they would only allow up to 3mb. Then they wanted more money for the same TV programmes I get on Freesat or Freeview. Now after telling me I have 90 days to send their equipment back in their prepaid packages, 1) I haven't received the packaging because as I told them multiple times I'm not at home until February, 2) they have reduced the time to far less than 90 days and 3) I object to being harassed just because they think I should accept their vastly inferior broadband just because they couldn't be bothered to even try to set it up.

Unless Sky change their attitude towards people who were long standing customers and give them the same or better deals than new customers, no way will Sky keep loyalty. 14 years and this is how we're treated. They'll get their equipment back when I receive packaging when I get back and if they try and charge, I'll reclaim it with compensation.

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Contacting Sky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ferry1949 wrote:

They'll get their equipment back when I receive packaging when I get back and if they try and charge, I'll reclaim it with compensation.

@ferry1949 

In the meantime you are very likely to be charged non return fees. Once you've returned the loaned equipment and it has been processed you will be reimbursed the charges. Get proof of posting and keep it indefinitely. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@ferry1949  Sky won't give compensation for you failing to return their  oequipment when asked, they don't account for people being out of the country, is none able to return the items for you?

You may be able to get the charges reversed once items have been returned, until then they are within their right to chase you as per the T&C's you agreed to when you took Sky's services.

Sky are a business they won't give existing customer the same deals as new customer no other company does why are you expecting Sky to?

It's up to you to negotiate the best deal with them.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@ferry1949 wrote:

They'll get their equipment back when I receive packaging when I get back and if they try and charge, I'll reclaim it with compensation.

Unfortunately, the contract you ageed doesn't support your strategy.

It says:

'You must return or allow us to collect loaned equipment when reasonably requested to do so.'

and goes on:

'If you fail to return the loaned equipment you will have to pay a non-return charge.'

'Payment of the non-return charge does not transfer ownership of loaned equipment to you and you are still required to return the loaned equipment to us following our reasonable request.'

and finally:

'If we have requested that you return loaned equipment to us and you have failed to do so we may take legal action to recover it from you.'

So best to return them...  Details here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/return-or-recycle-sky-equipment

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
ferry1949
Topic Author

Sky contract clearly states 90 days. You work it out from 10th December and 90 days is in March. They are demanding the items back by 26th February, it is all in writing so if they argue I am afraid they are the ones who have broken the contract not me in which case if they charge I reclaim, simple.

As for companies not giving existing customers as good if not better rates than new customers, that is now against the law and has been for a while so there is no reason why Sky cannot offer at least the same as for new customers. Then for the fibre broadband which I asked to be upgraded to, Sky claimed they did not have the capacity so I would have to pay the fibre broadband rate for a very inferior service. Unfortunately, when an Open Reach engineer came to connect up for fibre broadband he said there was absolutely no reason whatsoever why Sky should claim they didn't have capacity. There were no other pairings in the box serving my property used by Sky, he even showed us so after that and the attitude I have had from Sky, I'm glad I cancelled. Up until this for 14+ years Sky have been fantastic but not now. It appears even when information relating to contact me was given more than once, Sky couldn't be bothered to update my account.

@ferry1949 wrote:

Sky contract clearly states 90 days. You work it out from 10th December and 90 days is in March. They are demanding the items back by 26th February, it is all in writing so if they argue I am afraid they are the ones who have broken the contract not me in which case if they charge I reclaim, simple.

I think you're looking at an old contract.

As for companies not giving existing customers as good if not better rates than new customers, that is now against the law

No it's not.  You are referring to insurance.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@ferry1949 wrote:

As for companies not giving existing customers as good if not better rates than new customers, that is now against the law and has been for a while so there is no reason why Sky cannot offer at least the same as for new customers. 

@ferry1949 

That relates to insurance companies … nothing to do with TV, Broadband, or mobile subscriptions. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
ferry1949
Topic Author

I am looking at the contract and the emails from the date of cancellation 10th December 2023

The law applies to any and all businesses offering incentives not just insurance companies.

Sky were specifically asked about returning their property and I have a recorded telephone conversation which is very clear saying as from 10th December 2023 I needed to return the items within 90 days which is NOT 26th February

@ferry1949 wrote:

I am looking at the contract and the emails from the date of cancellation 10th December 2023

Well, if you have an 'older' contract then stipulates 90 days then of course it's 90 days.

The law applies to any and all businesses offering incentives not just insurance companies.

But you're very wrong on this.  But it hasn't done the insurance industry much good as they simply put the prices up for everyone.  I suspect comms firms will do the same if OfCom introduce similiar.  And oddly it's only a renewal premium mustn't be more than a new customer would get - doesn't mean a different provider can quote a 'new customer' price.

ferry1949
Topic Author

I repeat, offering incentives to generate new business which is more favourable than offers made to existing customers is not allowed and it doesn't matter what business it is. It does actually include broadband but when you are told you cannot have broadband because Sky don't have capacity but Open Reach confirm there is no valid reason, no one is likely to pay the fibre broadband rate for an extremely inferior service just because Sky don't want to arrange for an engineer to connect up

@ferry1949 wrote:

I repeat,

Repeating it doesn't make it true.

ferry1949
Topic Author

May I suggest you look up the more recent Ofcom Regs. None of this excuses the attitude of Sky regarding fibre broadband which should have been a very simple operation for which I was willing to pay extra but I was not willing to pay over £40 for s broadband speed of 3mb which is what Sky were going to charge. As for the return of their equipment, my contract says 90 days, it will be returned well within the 90 days but Sky have put in writing a date which is well short of 90 days therefore they have changed the contract without my agreement so as such they have broken the contract. If they do decide to penalise me in any way then I am afraid Sky will lose.

I had always been very happy with Sky but this incident really put me off. I just wanted to know if there is any way of contacting them to confirm in writing what my contract says, what was confirmed in emails and over the phone and why they are being so difficult now when all this has been discussed with them, I have the voice recordings.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@ferry1949 wrote:

May I suggest you look up the more recent Ofcom Regs. None of this excuses the attitude of Sky regarding fibre broadband which should have been a very simple operation for which I was willing to pay extra but I was not willing to pay over £40 for s broadband speed of 3mb which is what Sky were going to charge. As for the return of their equipment, my contract says 90 days, it will be returned well within the 90 days but Sky have put in writing a date which is well short of 90 days therefore they have changed the contract without my agreement so as such they have broken the contract. If they do decide to penalise me in any way then I am afraid Sky will lose.

I had always been very happy with Sky but this incident really put me off. I just wanted to know if there is any way of contacting them to confirm in writing what my contract says, what was confirmed in emails and over the phone and why they are being so difficult now when all this has been discussed with them, I have the voice recordings.

@ferry1949 so you have cancelled your broadband subscription and your TV subscription is that correct ?

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
ferry1949
Topic Author

yes, on 10th December and given 90 days to return goods but then email was received demanding goods returned by 26th February which is NOT 90 days so not according to the Sky contract.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@ferry1949 wrote:

Sky were specifically asked about returning their property and I have a recorded telephone conversation which is very clear saying as from 10th December 2023 I needed to return the items within 90 days which is NOT 26th February

So you were told 90 days and it's not in th contract, these are 2 different things.   If Sky are telling you by letter they want items back by a certain date that is the date you need to go by not what a CS Agent has misinformed you of.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 90 minutes

New Discussion