Discussion topic: Sky router 5g

This message was authored by lost-boys This message was authored by: lost-boys

Sky router 5g

Hi

How do I setup 5ghz , I've gone into the wireless section of the router and changed it to 54g , then 54g performance,  but when I connect a item wireless it says 2.4ghz.

Am I missing something?

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Sky router 5g

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@lost-boys 

Ah you have the old Sky hub which does not have 5ghz available. You'll need to get a new hub from Sky. 

If you are on Fibre you should be able to get a hub upgrade for free. If you are still on ADSL then you'll likely need to upgrade for a new hub. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@lost-boys 

5Ghz WiFi is enabled by default on Sky hubs, you do not need to do anything.

If you are trying to force your devices to connect to 5Ghz then you'll need to rename the SSID of your 5ghz band to something different and then reconnect devices to that SSID. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
lost-boys
Topic Author

Hi 

thanks for the swift reply, where is the 5g band that I need to rename and should I leave the router on auto?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@lost-boys 

Its in the router settings under 'Wireless' then '5ghz' 

I would leave it on Auto unless you have a specific use case for splitting the WiFi bands. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
lost-boys
Topic Author

I need to setup 5ghz for my vr headset, as it will not function correctly on 2.4ghz.

lost-boys
Topic Author

I can't see a 5ghz section, here is the wireless section of my sky router.0425226C-E591-44D2-A0DC-492D6EE283B2.jpeg

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@lost-boys 

Ah you have the old Sky hub which does not have 5ghz available. You'll need to get a new hub from Sky. 

If you are on Fibre you should be able to get a hub upgrade for free. If you are still on ADSL then you'll likely need to upgrade for a new hub. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
lost-boys
Topic Author

Thank you I will contact sky.

This message was authored by thenewark This message was authored by: thenewark

I tried renaming the 5GHz SSID and it changed both 5 and 2.4GHz - how do I change only one of them?  I want to get laptop etc on 5GHz for performance and leave background devices on 2.4GHz for connectivity...

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@thenewark 

The instructions specify unsynchronizing the bands first, then renaming.  If they are still synchronized, changes in name apply to both.

As posted by @jamesn123

So to split the two channels you need to go to your router config page which can be found by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. To access the page, you'll need;

username: admin

password: sky OR your WiFi password

- Select wireless from the navigation bar and scroll down a little and untick the 'Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings'

- Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit apply.

- Once the page reloads you need to go to the 5GHz wireless settings page on the sub navigation bar below where you click wireless before

- In the 5GHz section you want to go to the box called 'Name (SSID)' and add something like 5g to the end of the current name

- Scroll down and hit apply

- Then on any wireless device you should now see two networks. One network will be the same name as usual and will be 2.4GHz band and the other will be the usual name with 5G on the end (Or whatever you typed). Connect any 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz network and see if it works correctly. The WiFi password should be the same if you havent changed it.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Funkybudha This message was authored by: Funkybudha

When I click apply the page goes black and said I have lost network connection to safari and there is not a new ssid showing up what is happening and how can I resolve 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Funkybudha 

Try using a chrome browser and via ethernet

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Funkybudha This message was authored by: Funkybudha

This is what it keeps saying when I press apply 

'This site can't be reached

192.168.0.1 unexpectedly closed the connection.'

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Funkybudha 

As @cookiemonsteruk advises, Safari over WiFi is known to have problems with Sky Hub administration.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

I used chrome

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion