Discussion topic: Replacing SR102 router (7 years old model)

This message was authored by Ceebeeberry This message was authored by: Ceebeeberry

Replacing SR102 router (7 years old model)

Hi - i have an old SR102 router, at least 7 years old now. It just says "limited connection" all the time when looking at my android and the box feels physically hot to the touch (which does not strike me as particularly safe). I have security cameras to maintain and is a worry if it is cutting out.

I was sent a replacement a few years ago of a much better hub but it didn't allow for more than one device attached and i got nowhere getting that fixed.  There was a software glitch on this model apparently. Now it is actively interfering with my livelihood and working from home. It is so unbelievably difficult to get anywhere anymore with Sky. I just need some help.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Replacing SR102 router (7 years old model)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ceebeeberry wrote:

Now i am looking for an upgrade to my SR102, thanks.

As I said, in Sky hardware that would be a Q Hub at no extra cost (but probably a new minimum term) or a Sky Broadband Hub or Max Hub for an extra monthly cost.  Max is not currently available to Q television households.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Ceebeeberry wrote:

I was sent a replacement a few years ago of a much better hub but it didn't allow for more than one device attached and i got nowhere getting that fixed.  

The Q Hub has two ethernet ports: adding more is achieved through buying a cheap unmanaged gigabit ethernet switch.  The Broadband Hub and Max Hub have four ports, but Sky will charge a subscription supplement for those unless the broadband provision is over SoGEA (no PSTN)

Ceebeeberry
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ceebeeberry This message was authored by: Ceebeeberry

It was attach via wifi. It only allowed one device at a time remotely. There were no cables or ports involved.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Ceebeeberry wrote:

It was attach via wifi. It only allowed one device at a time remotely. 

Any such issue, if inherent to the hardware, would be addressed rather rapidly otherwise several million Q Hub users would be posting here...

@Ceebeeberry 

Ah, do you mean only one remote view of a camera?  I suspect that's a wider network configuration issue rather than inherent to the router.

Ceebeeberry
Topic Author

That was a long time ago now. I only mentioned it as an aside. Everytime i tried to connect more than one device (a tablet, two security cameras etc etc etc), it didn't work. The call centre had no answer so it was returned.  Job closed.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Ceebeeberry wrote:

As I said, in Sky hardware that would be a Q Hub at no extra cost (but probably a new minimum term) or a Sky Broadband Hub or Max Hub for an extra monthly cost.  Max is not currently available to Q television households.

This message was authored by emmylou22277 This message was authored by: emmylou22277

Hi

I am writing on behalf of my mum just renewed her contract with sky last year.  She laso has this hub but doesnt have Sky Q, still the old sky + box.  She has puck thing that allows her to connect her box to the Wifi, her TV isnt a smart one.  I noticed when I was trying to set up her Firestick that the broadband signal in terrible and its barely 3 metres from the TV.  I wouldve thought when she renewed her contract she shouldve got a new hub?  Anyhoo I have my old Now one and I wondered if I would be able to swap it as they are technically the same company? TIA

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@emmylou22277 

Getting a new hub when renewing solely depends on what package/connection type your mum has.

If you tell us what package & hub model she currently has we can ascertain whether its correct.

As for your old NOW hub its possible that would work as your right they are basically the same company and often share authentication methods.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion