Discussion topic: Poor Broadband Speed

This message was authored by kalum70503 This message was authored by: kalum70503

Poor Broadband Speed

Hi there,

I recently subscribed to Sky's broadband service with the promise of a minimum guaranteed speed of 68.3Mb/s. However, I'm extremely disappointed to report that despite this guarantee, I'm only getting a download speed of around 25Mb/s.

I understand that your guidelines mention it may take up to 14 days to reach the promised speed, but this doesn't alleviate my frustration. I'm essentially paying for a service that I'm not fully receiving. While I appreciate that there might be a settling-in period, it's unreasonable to expect customers to pay the full rental fee without experiencing the guaranteed speed.

If the service isn't up to the agreed standards, I believe there should be some form of compensation or discount on the bill until the promised speed is achieved. It's only fair that customers receive what they're paying for.

Could you please look into this matter urgently and provide a satisfactory resolution? I look forward to your prompt response.

Thank you.

All Replies

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Re: Poor Broadband Speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@kalum70503 The only time you will ge compensation for slower than guaranteed speed is if the connection speed(not your download speed) is below the minimum for at least 3 consecutive days and this doesn't apply during the first 14 days of service.

Its aslo worth reading which speed Sky guarantee, the speed guarantee applies to the connection speed from the cabinet/exchange to your router, this is not the speed that is reported via online speedtests as they only show the throughput to your device and that will always be lower.

If you can post your router statistics we can advise if you are getting the guaranteed speed and if not we may be able to offer advice as to why.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@kalum70503 

Where are you seeing these low speeds? Can you post a screenshot.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@kalum70503 wrote:

I'm essentially paying for a service that I'm not fully receiving. While I appreciate that there might be a settling-in period, it's unreasonable to expect customers to pay the full rental fee without experiencing the guaranteed speed.

If the service isn't up to the agreed standards, I believe there should be some form of compensation or discount on the bill until the promised speed is achieved. It's only fair that customers receive what they're paying for.

It would require Ofcom to regulate for that: they don't do so, and now never will as FTTC is being replaced by FTTP anyway.  The 'training period' of a VDSL circuit (and, realistically, the knowledge that some lines will never support the 'estimated' speed) is inherent to the technology and historically accepted throughout the ISP industry.

It's important to note that speed isn't actually 'promised': the 'Guarantee' is for one month refund of subscription and the option of a penalty-free early exit if the estimated minimum speed to the router isn't achievable in practice.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion