Discussion topic: Compact UPS for Sky Router

This message was authored by Kit_Taylor This message was authored by: Kit_Taylor

Compact UPS for Sky Router

We have rooftop solar pv + Tesla Powerwall storage. The Tesla Gateway has an action/reaction delay when detecting a power cut that is just long enough for our Sky router to drop out and lose broadband connection.  Has anyone successfully found a compact UPS with all the correct cables that provides sufficient power to keep the Sky router connected for the one second delay in switching from power cut to Powerwall. We don't need a large fan-cooled UPS that is capable of running multiple systems, as our 2 Powerwalls can keep the whole house running for 2 days. I have read reports of many small "Power Brick" based models from the PRC being marketed but failing to provide connections or sufficient power at the moment it is needed. Has anyone found a successful solution?

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: Compact UPS for Sky Router

@Kit_Taylor Which specific router do you have from sky, that will help with regards for power source.

We will not specifically recomend one or other, but can guide then you can do your research. Post back your router model.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Kit_Taylor 

A small APC unit with UK plugs should do the trick. It does not have any active cooling as far as I am aware.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-BACK-UPS-BE850G2-UK-Uninterruptible-Protected/dp/B0828G42KN/ref=sr_1_3?...

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Kit_Taylor
Topic Author
This message was authored by Kit_Taylor This message was authored by: Kit_Taylor

Thank you Jim, I have a Hub 3.0

Kit_Taylor
Topic Author

James, it is precisely a UPS like APC that I am at pains to avoid using as I said in my original post.  I have no need of the storage capacity of even the smallest APC as I think I already said that I already have 28kWh of battery storage in my two Tesla Powerwall 2s.  I am looking for a small, discrete power source to provide uninterrupted power to my Sky Router for the circa 1 second that it takes for my Tesla Gateway to switch from grid to Powerwall which is just long enough for the Sky Router to switch off.  Losing a router for the time it takes to re-establish a connection is a bit of a First World problem I know, but if I can find a way to avoid it I would be willing to explore it.

@Kit_Taylor Take a look at the following, may be suitable for you. Eaton 3S mini ups with 12V 3A output.

About £35 or there abouts.

Kit_Taylor
Topic Author

@JimM1  that looks the ticket. Good call. Many thanks. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JimM1 wrote:

@Kit_Taylor Take a look at the following, may be suitable for you. Eaton 3S mini ups with 12V 3A output.

About £35 or there abouts.

Is that connector going to fit the Sky hub?

Also looking at the reviews it says the battery fails after 12 months and many reviews saying it failed to power an Openreach ONT or BT Hub. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@jamesn123 Yes did see the reviews, but had an OP that was using it and swears by it, said he had it for years, with zero issues, and i did try to get hime to do a runtime test, but not sure if he was getting it.

And was on the same router also, but as you say, thats why i try to keep away from recommending unless got experience of using. He may have had to also get the barrel to suit, who knows.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion