Discussion topic: Hi how can i get WIFI? waiting an unbelievable 1

This message was authored by Mccaba0 This message was authored by: Mccaba0

Hi how can i get WIFI? waiting an unbelievable 1

Does anyone have a clue how to get WIFI other than using all my piggy bank roll over? Sky have us waiting over 2 weeks for an engineer to install fibre for stream! I would have thought Sky would look after their customers during this unbelievable wait time and at least offer some sort if WIFI box until engineer shows? I'm now having to use my data in my piggy bank!

Best Answers
This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS Answer

Re: Hi how can i get WIFI? waiting an unbelievable 1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mccaba0 Sky are not making you wait 2 weeks for the broadband install, that is down to OfCom rules and there is no way around them.

There is no WiFi box that Sky provide and even if they did that would require mobile data which I'm certain Sky wouldn't supply free of charge.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS Answer

@Mccaba0 Sky are not making you wait 2 weeks for the broadband install, that is down to OfCom rules and there is no way around them.

There is no WiFi box that Sky provide and even if they did that would require mobile data which I'm certain Sky wouldn't supply free of charge.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
Mccaba0
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply! It's just awful in this day & age making someone wait this long for an installation when so many people work from home & need WiFi!

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Mccaba0 

The standard minimum lead in time is 10 working days so 2 weeks is normal. Working from home has no relevance I'm afraid as Sky Broadband is a domestic service. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Mccaba0
Topic Author

Thanks Daniel just ridiculous a massive company like Sky can't organise free WiFi for their customers rather than use our own data collated over months or even years!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mccaba0

I'm not aware of any ISP which offers a cellular router or data allowance between order and scheduled activation date: frankly their business model and thin profit margin on any individual subscription just doesn't permit that.

Given that prospective broadband customers can cancel at any point prior to activation and for a period of time afterwards, I suspect the ISPs would also be concerned that any such provision would be misused.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Mccaba0
Topic Author

Thanks for the info Timmy! Appreciated. 

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

The main reason no one offers a back up is the lack of a decent 4pr 5 g service in the majority of the country, as soon as you go inside the connection speeds are crippled 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Mccaba0 wrote:

Thanks for the reply! It's just awful in this day & age making someone wait this long for an installation when so many people work from home & need WiFi!

Once you have broadband at an address its very difficult to get yourself into a position where you don't have a service because if your switching provider this is done as a seemless switch where you only tend to lose connection for an hour or so.

If this is a new install then Sky are not responsible for your poor planning as it is stated that a 10 day lead time is required. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion