Discussion topic: No phone line to house

This message was authored by Jamie-H This message was authored by: Jamie-H

No phone line to house

We've renovated our house and no longer have a phone line wired in.

We've just switched back to Sky broadband and I called today to ask how it works without a phone line and was told we need a VoIP phone to connect and hardwiring to the phone line wasn't necessary anymore.

Is this correct?

we don't want to make any landline calls, just connect to the broadband.

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: No phone line to house

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jamie-H 

From last september all new copper connections will use internet calls and fttp connections always required that.  However you do need a data carrier for broadband but not a voip phone as such any phone with the standard bt telephone jack should do. So in your case select the pay as you talk tariff ie no phone no money.

In order to see what is available will help decide whether you need to request a new line could you enter you full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Jamie-H 

From last september all new copper connections will use internet calls and fttp connections always required that.  However you do need a data carrier for broadband but not a voip phone as such any phone with the standard bt telephone jack should do. So in your case select the pay as you talk tariff ie no phone no money.

In order to see what is available will help decide whether you need to request a new line could you enter you full postal address below and post the table after removing your address from the image

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Jamie-H
Topic Author

870C0B89-ABDE-44A5-A2B5-9B247C070BF8.png

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Jamie-H Openreach will have to re-instate your copper phone line if you order broadband from Sky to carry the broadband signal. This will probably cause a delay as according to the checker the system expects a working line is there. Quite a common issue where a property has not had a broadband service using the Openreach network and normally there is no charge.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Jamie-H
Topic Author

Thank you. 

That's what I thought despite Sky telling me twice now It's good to go 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Jamie-H they are saying that because that is what the Openreach database entry is saying. In pracrice place the order when the activation date comes round it wont work. Openreach will send round an engineer to check why. Surprise surprise the line isnt there, but hopefully it is still run to the external connection box if it is its a simple job of installing a new internal master socket. 

You would go through the same pantomine if you bought from any other isp using Openreach.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion