Discussion topic: No option for broadband without a phone line

This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

No option for broadband without a phone line

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

No option for broadband without a phone line

Is this statement still true?

As a Voipfone user I am looking for broadband only. If it is true, has anybody any idea why Sky are still going down this old fashioned route? I would imagine the same is true for Mobile only users.

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: No option for broadband without a phone line

@MightyQuinn wrote:

has anybody any idea why Sky are still going down this old fashioned route? 

Probably so that they are only purchasing one line of wholesale product rather than doubling up on every speed band for both a voice and non-voice option: this simplifies their own administration, and they would calculate that not enough customers know the difference.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@MightyQuinn 

If you choose the pay as you talk tariff and don't use a landline there will be no charges

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
MightyQuinn
Topic Author
This message was authored by MightyQuinn This message was authored by: MightyQuinn

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@MightyQuinn 

If you choose the pay as you talk tariff and don't use a landline there will be no charges

Hi @cookiemonsteruk   There is always a hidden charge to cover handling the telephone number and administration charges for billing, even if you don't use it. Other ISPs have a broadband only option which is cheaper than bundled pay as you go deals.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@MightyQuinn  Went on to pay-as-you-talk when I was with Sky and it was only the cost of the broadband I had to pay for. Made no calls at all so no charges.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@MightyQuinn wrote:

has anybody any idea why Sky are still going down this old fashioned route? 

Probably so that they are only purchasing one line of wholesale product rather than doubling up on every speed band for both a voice and non-voice option: this simplifies their own administration, and they would calculate that not enough customers know the difference.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
MightyQuinn
Topic Author

I think the main problem is I don't want to associated with another telephone number, even if it only exists on Sky systems. I've had my existing number (associated with my Sky TV) for nearly 40 years. I don't want to muddy the waters with Sky having another number.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@MightyQuinn  You are able to bring your number that you have had with your old provider with you.

MightyQuinn
Topic Author

@Highlinder wrote:

@MightyQuinn  You are able to bring your number that you have had with your old provider with you.

Hi @Highlinder   I don't have any number associated with my old provider. My existing number of 40 years is safe and sound with Voipfone. The last thing I want is for it to be associated with any ISP.

@MightyQuinn  You are not going to be able to come to Sky without them giving you a number. wether you use it or not it is something that they give you as part of your broadband with Sky. If you are not happy with that I am sure you can find a provider that can do this for you.

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Does your existing VoIP service use the openreach network? If so you would not be able to switch to sky without losing that service and number 

you would need to transfer the service with a port order to keep your number as openreach would flag any order as a VoIP to VoIP migration

MightyQuinn
Topic Author

@mormegil wrote:

Does your existing VoIP service use the openreach network? If so you would not be able to switch to sky without losing that service and number 

you would need to transfer the service with a port order to keep your number as openreach would flag any order as a VoIP to VoIP migration

Hi @mormegil   My existing telephone service (Voipfone) is delivered via the internet. It doesn't matter if the internet is provided by Openreach or any other Network provider. I am currently using a Gigaset Go 100 box which is very versatile ATA, answering machine and DECT base station. In the past I have had it connected to BT (Openreach) but now using it with a Full Fibre provider (broadband only). It has both RJ11 & RJ45 connections. Detaching your "landline" number from a Internet Service Provider is the way to go. No more porting nonsense.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@MightyQuinn while I can see the logic of your chosen solution you are in a very small minority using VOIP most users either use the landline or just use their mobile number. What puzzles me is why you simply dont ignore having the voice line.  Having the availability doesn't mean you ever have to use it or of course share the number. However using the Sky Talk line for supprt calls to Sky is  free.

As @TimmyBGood's  post implies Sky like having a simple pricing structure.  The standing cost of providing a voice service, which these days is normally over IP, is tiny and will be built into the call charges that customers who use the service pay. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
MightyQuinn
Topic Author

@Chrisee wrote:

@MightyQuinn What puzzles me is why you simply dont ignore having the voice line

Hi @Chrisee   Please see https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/No-option-for-broadband-without-a-phone-line/m-p/4596362#M383...

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@MightyQuinn whatever. I use multiple mobile sims for data each has a mobile phone number attached but as nobody knows them they are no problem. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion