Discussion topic: Extending wifi to back of house and garden

This message was authored by Ifonefreek This message was authored by: Ifonefreek

Extending wifi to back of house and garden

Hello everyone,

I am looking to extend the wifi in my house to the back of the house and the garden.  I have a Sky SR204 routrer with ultrafast fibre Band.  The house has 3 floors and so the router is placed in the office toward the front of the house.  I have thought of moving the router towards the centre but this is not possible as we have things like Hive, and ethernet cables plugged into it.

I am looking to work in the garden when summer (finally) arrives.  Also, I like to browse the internet on my wifi only iPad in the garden.  We have also just bought and installed new RING stick up Cams in the garden.  WiFi out there is really not great.  So I am looking for a way to extend the wifi.  If anyone can help I would really appreciate it as I 've been iving with it for so long it's really becoming unbearable now. 😢

Thanks in advance everyone! 😊

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Extending wifi to back of house and garden

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ifonefreek 

Sky boosters would cover the interior of your house but not the exterior. If you want exterior WiFi coverage then you'll need an ethernet cable run from the router to the the garden with an Access Point attached to it.

You could also look at getting a mesh system and place a node in a window that faces your garden but good mesh systems can be costly. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@Ifonefreek 

Sky boosters would cover the interior of your house but not the exterior. If you want exterior WiFi coverage then you'll need an ethernet cable run from the router to the the garden with an Access Point attached to it.

You could also look at getting a mesh system and place a node in a window that faces your garden but good mesh systems can be costly. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Ifonefreek
Topic Author
This message was authored by Ifonefreek This message was authored by: Ifonefreek

Thanks @jamesn123 

Would installing a TP Link N300 help to boost my wifi in the garden? That’s all i am trying to do 😁

Thanks

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Ifonefreek 

Not really, those things belong in a bin and often never work with Sky hubs

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Ifonefreek
Topic Author

@jamesn123  - This is an access point and you mentioned installing one of these.  It takes an ethernet cable from the router to the TPLink to broadcast the signal

What kind of (other) access point were you referring to?  If you have any models etc in mind could you share please?

Many thanks!

Hi @Ifonefreek 

The TP-Link N300 is a range extender not an access point. It attempts to take an exisiting signal and rebroadcast it for a longer range. Its the same way Sky boosters work execept they almost never work and are even worse when trying to pair with Sky kit.

What I was referring to is something like a TP-Link AC1200 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Ifonefreek
Topic Author

Hi @jamesn123 thanks for coming back.

I think I'm being a bit stupid here but the link you sent was for another router.  Does that mean then that I would connecting a third party router to my exisiting Sky SR204 router?  If so, then would I simply connect an ethernet cable into one of the ethernet ports on the back of my existing Sky router to one of the ethernet ports on the back of the new one?

This does all sound a bit confusing for something that seems a bit straightforward.

Really appreciate your help and patience with me on this 🙂

Hi @Ifonefreek 

It would simply be Sky Router > Ethernet cable > TP-Link AP. 

Its difficult to recommend something when I dont know the layout of the home or garden but if you have a good window view to the back garden and the garden itself is not too long then the most simple solution would be to get a Sky booster and place it in the window. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Ifonefreek
Topic Author

Thank you once again @jamesn123  for your time and patience.  That does kind of make sense now.

So house is a basic 3 bed mid terraced 1930s with loft conversion.  Garden is around 45ft long from back wall of house to the very end of garden.

The router is placed on 2nd floor in box room (office) at front of house so as to ensure reasonable signal to all floors.  However, back of house (as I mentioned) doesn't get that great a signal.  In fact if I sit on bench that is right against back wall of house i have to use data on iPhone rather that wifi as it doesen't work

Back bedroom and bathroom directloy overlook the rear garden.  Hope this helps a little 😁

@Ifonefreek 

At a guess then I'd say your best option would be to run an ethernet cable from the router to the back bedroom or the loft conversion and then connect a Sky booster on the other end. This should hopefully provide a signal to the garden.

You could also try using powerline adapters if you would rather not run the cable. If you bought them from somewhere like Amazon then you could always easily return them if they dont do the job.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by Amogill1 This message was authored by: Amogill1

U don't need a cable at all. My summer house is about  80 ft (24) meters away. Router in front room. I do have sky glass, u need a sky puck with another TV. 1 sky booster  in central bedroom another 1 in summer house. Works brill. Just use your PRS button to link them. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion