Discussion topic: Disgustingly slow speeds with Sky.

This message was authored by Lum This message was authored by: Lum

Disgustingly slow speeds with Sky.

On average it takes a few days to download games which are {relatively} small! Practically, this just is not acceptable as when I am downloading a game I have purchased my Sky WiFi goes down anyway and requires the whole family to 'sign in' and 'fix the connection'. Why won't my Sky WiFi reach the potential I was promised?Screenshot 2023-12-26 193009.png

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Disgustingly slow speeds with Sky.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lum 

Your Hub stats appear to show you are on an ADSL connection, which is now the oldest and slowest broadband technology still available (and only now in use by a few percent of households, having been almost entirely replaced nationally by FTTC and FTTP).  At 12Mbs inbound and 0.7Mbs outbound, which is entirely plausible for ADSL, any significant modern game might well take many hours or even days to arrive.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Lum 

Your Hub stats appear to show you are on an ADSL connection, which is now the oldest and slowest broadband technology still available (and only now in use by a few percent of households, having been almost entirely replaced nationally by FTTC and FTTP).  At 12Mbs inbound and 0.7Mbs outbound, which is entirely plausible for ADSL, any significant modern game might well take many hours or even days to arrive.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lum 

Note that ISPs typically don't migrate customers onto newer/faster technology automatically: the customer has to request that.

Lum
Topic Author

Thanks @TimmyBGood, I'll see about upgrading... just to check, thats obviously not free of charge, right?

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Upgrading from adsl to fttc would be free as it uses the same lines into your property 

superfast product are a similar price to your current adsl as your no longer need to pay separately for the line and broadband

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

If full fibre is available in your area the that may require more time and cost but it is rare to go over the spend threshold when there is already a copper service present

Lum
Topic Author

Thank you! That is most helpful.

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@Lum 

Further note for you, there is a possibilty that FTTC may not be available to you for various reasons

but you will not find out until you talk with a SKY advisor regarding your line/broadband to your home.

My example is my Father is now 86yrs young, Internet and Broadband are WAY out off his scope

of working, so i have him on the same as you Broadband Essential package BUT this is 100% only

because of the LANDLINE, it is so hard to now get a phone line only package at a reasonable cost!

He can understand that the phone plugs into the socket but the Broadband Router that sits

next to the phone well ????? and luckly he can get FTTC as it is available for him, who knows what

will happen when they have the digital switch over but will address at that time....

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Lum wrote:

I'll see about upgrading... just to check, thats obviously not free of charge, right?

Openreach cover the first £2800 of work at any particular address, which typically is sufficient for all 'normal' deployment of FTTP (where available ).   An ISP may well charge a higher monthly subscription for the taster broadband service but that's different.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion