Discussion topic: Ive upgraded my broadband to ultrafast fibre +

This message was authored by beno50 This message was authored by: beno50

Ive upgraded my broadband to ultrafast fibre +

I have upgraded my broadband to ultrafast fibre + and been given a date of the 4th of January for it to be connected. An open reach engineer is due to attend on the same day. However, last week 2 engineers arrived and asked if they could run the cable from the road to my house. No problem, that's done. My question is, will An engineer still visit to add an additional cable from the new box to my new hub as I live in a town house? My hub will be sitting in the middle floor (1st floor) 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Ive upgraded my broadband to ultrafast fibre +

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@beno50 

ONT is Optical Network Terminal (aka 'fibre modem') : it's the powered Openreach indoor box which is the last/first point on the optical connection 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@beno50 i assume the Openreach engineers have run the new fibre supply to a grey plastic box on an external wall? If so you can discuss where you want the ONT unit  the installation engineer will fit inside your home. A fibre lead is then run fom the point to the external supply box and the fibre joined by a weld. The fibre lead is quite long and can be attached to an external wall so there is some but not total flexibility so potentially fitting on the first floor is acievable. The fibre lead cleverly is white inside your home and black outside which is achieved by stripping the outer white jacket. It need not be unslightly. 

Your Sky hub links to the ONT by an ethernet lead and while the lead Sky supply is quite short you can use an length you want. Place the hub in the open so it is above furniture and radiators to getvthe best wifi signal.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@beno50 wrote:

My hub will be sitting in the middle floor (1st floor) 

The default location for an ONT would be ground floor installation: Openreach isn't obliged to go above that.  The link between ONT and router is ethernet cable, so that can be extended.

beno50
Topic Author

Can I ask what ONT means? 

Yes, there is a larger box above my existing connection point outside my property. I'm hoping the engineer will be able to put the next cable from that up the wall and through the hole also used by my sky dish. Otherwise cabling from the ground floor upwards will be an absolute nightmare. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@beno50 

ONT is Optical Network Terminal (aka 'fibre modem') : it's the powered Openreach indoor box which is the last/first point on the optical connection 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@beno50 wrote:

I'm hoping the engineer will be able to put the next cable from that up the wall and through the hole also used by my sky dish. 

As I mentioned, they might be prepared to do that, but don't have to.  It's even possible that the fibre-splicing personnel who arrive aren't equipped or trained for ladder work, and so wouldn't be permitted to carry out such an installation.

beno50
Topic Author

Thankyou, I understand now. Cheers.

beno50
Topic Author

I'll keep my fingers crossed and ask nicely. 

beno50
Topic Author

Thankyou, hopefully the new hub arrives soon too. No sign of it yet. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion