Discussion topic: 3rd party router instead of Sky router

This message was authored by Thompson20009 This message was authored by: Thompson20009

3rd party router instead of Sky router

Hi

Can someone help please. I am looking at using a 3rd party router instead on my Sky router, is this possible, does Sky allow this.

The reason is I want to access my home network from anywhere but want very strict mac adddess security access control, which the sky router does not offer. I really don't fancy opening my home network on the very basic Sky router.

Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: 3rd party router instead of Sky router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Thompson20009 Ofcom require thst Sky cannot prevent you from using whatever router you want but they decline to offer any support to systems not using the Sky hubs.

In practice as Sky use slightly different authentication methods from other ISPs not all routers support . These vary according to whether you are in Ireland or the UK. In the UK most Sky products use DHCPv4 Option 61 to connect which Asus and Netgear units mainly support but TP-Link router don't.

You will have reasons why you have chosen to use mac address security but I assume you know about the ease of spoofing mac addresses. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Thompson20009 Ofcom require thst Sky cannot prevent you from using whatever router you want but they decline to offer any support to systems not using the Sky hubs.

In practice as Sky use slightly different authentication methods from other ISPs not all routers support . These vary according to whether you are in Ireland or the UK. In the UK most Sky products use DHCPv4 Option 61 to connect which Asus and Netgear units mainly support but TP-Link router don't.

You will have reasons why you have chosen to use mac address security but I assume you know about the ease of spoofing mac addresses. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Thompson20009
Topic Author
This message was authored by Thompson20009 This message was authored by: Thompson20009

Hi Thanks a lot, well I am still looking into the best way to secure the network and if it's even possible using Sky. 

It's crazy now the lengths you have to go to just to access your own stuff.

This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

@Thompson20009 wrote:

Hi Thanks a lot, well I am still looking into the best way to secure the network and if it's even possible using Sky. 

It's crazy now the lengths you have to go to just to access your own stuff.

Well you can bet you're bottom dollar that if you can access your network remotely then the risk is so can someone else.

If you can setup protection against mac spoofing then hopefully it'll be more secure..

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Thompson20009 your primary defence is a  strong password for the router admin function.whatever router you choose as surely the main risk is from outside your home network not from rogue devices connecting to your home network?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Thompson20009 

Opening your network up to remote access then using MAC addresses to secure it is crazy in 2024. It isnt a valid security step and hasnt been for years.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion