Discussion topic: Fibre BB speeds

This message was authored by John+B1 This message was authored by: John+B1

Fibre BB speeds

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this for me please.

I have sky Q with one mini box and booster.  All of my sky gear is off of a TP link switch. Additionally a Pc is also connected to this switch. The switch itself is connected to a port off of the sky router. My Bb is sky 1gig full fibre to the prem.

Now when I carry out a speed test on the pc I am only getting around 200 meg. If I disconnect the booster and mini box the speed test goes to around 900 Meg. This I find rather strange. Why would the booster and mini box have such a dramatic effect on a speed test from a browser.

I have used several different BB speed testers and all have the same results.

Any clues?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Fibre BB speeds

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@John+B1 you are not the first to report issues with ethernet speeds when Sky Q boxes are on the network. Sky Q is getting to be old technology and its networking used a system which predates the concept of home gigabit networks which I presume is the issue.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
John+B1
Topic Author

Ethernet has been around for many years before any sky equiptment ever existed. 

It conforms to 802 frame formats. The switch will adapt to the relevant speeds any equiptment is operating at, neither 10,100 or 1000.

The issue here is the Internet access speeds are falling off when the sky devices are plugged into the switch. Not the ethernet speeds.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@John+B1 wrote:

Ethernet has been around for many years before any sky equiptment ever existed. 

It conforms to 802 frame formats.

Q uses an additional set of proprietary networking licenced from AirTies back in 2015: this was supposed to use built-in Powerline to supplement WiFi but appears to now cause significant issues with home networks unanticipated at that time.

As @Chrisee indicates, you'll find similar posts in this forum.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
John+B1
Topic Author

So are these devices communication outside of the network ?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@John+B1 Dky have never explained what is going on but it is observable that Sky Q boxes can prevent ethernet devices from connecting at full speed. There are no planned changes to Sky Q as it is getting to the end of its life.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@John+B1 

It is well documented that Sky Q gear & Sky boosters can often slow down the speed of your entire wired network. There is no explanation as to why this happens despite numerous reports being raised to Sky.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion