Discussion topic: Why do Sky keep falsely advertising movies in uhd when they are not available

This message was authored by mirdragon This message was authored by: mirdragon

Why do Sky keep falsely advertising movies in uhd when they are not available

Was looking at watching 'The Hanging Sun' on Saturday, which is listed as being available in UHD, but guess what it's not available.

Checked last night and tonight and the same, its still not available in UHD.

Why do Sky keep advertising it is available in UHD on the platform when it isn't, surely this is false advertising....

Zen Internet: G.Fast (330/50)|OpnSense + Deco X50
Mobile: Samsung S20 FE 5G 256GB|Samsung Tab S6
TV: LG OLED55C24LA|SkyQ HDR 2TB + Minis|2xHDHR Quatro
AVR: Marantz NR1711
Streaming Devices: Xbox Series X|Apple 4K TV|Fire TV Cube|Shield TV Pro|Roku 3

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Why do Sky keep falsely advertising movies in uhd when they are not available

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The Advertising Standards Agency deal with advert complaints

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
mirdragon
Topic Author

Re: Why do Sky keep falsely advertising movies in uhd when they are not available

that maybe true, but constantly Sky advertise a movie in UHD but it's not available, surely they should not advertise UHD version until it's available on their platform

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @mirdragon 

Do you really mean advertising (i.e. an advert on other channels) or just links (e.g. tiles on the Home page or SKY Cinema pages) on SKY Q which are added before the UHD version is actually available.

If the latter, I think it is because the links are set up by a completely separate section on the expectation that the UHD versions are available on time & then problems occur during the film rendering (or whatever the process is) meaning it gets delayed.

Of course, the two should be in synch but, unfortunately, it does seem to happen more often than I think it should 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@mirdragon wrote:

Was looking at watching 'The Hanging Sun' on Saturday, which is listed as being available in UHD, but guess what it's not available.

Why do Sky keep advertising it is available in UHD on the platform when it isn't, surely this is false advertising....

I'm assuming The Hanging Sun is on Sky Cinema.
If this is the case, you need the Sky Cinema and the UHD & Dolby Atmos packs, as well as a UHD compatible TV

Note: The UHD & Dolby Atmos pack is different to the Sky HD pack and costs an extra £6/€8 per month. 

Also, I don't know if you're trying to get it in the Sky Store. Maybe it's not available there? 

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@nigea99 wrote:

Hi @mirdragon 

Do you really mean advertising (i.e. an advert on other channels) or just links (e.g. tiles on the Home page or SKY Cinema pages) on SKY Q which are added before the UHD version is actually available.

If the latter, I think it is because the links are set up by a completely separate section on the expectation that the UHD versions are available on time & then problems occur during the film rendering (or whatever the process is) meaning it gets delayed.

Of course, the two should be in synch but, unfortunately, it does seem to happen more often than I think it should 

Looks like it , it says available in UHD on Home page tile, but it's available to download in HD and SD

Also listed under ' Ultra HD' and 'latest movies in HDR'

mirdragon
Topic Author

@AnonymousI am aware of which package is required to watch in UHD/HDR and have the relevant package to watch, thus the reason for my post. so thanks for pointing out the obvious

@nigea99 @Timelord2018 yeh it's still not showing as available in UHD

@mirdragon wrote:

@AnonymousI am aware of which package is required to watch in UHD/HDR and have the relevant package to watch, thus the reason for my post. so thanks for pointing out the obvious

[...]

@mirdragon, that's an awfully nasty comment. Wow. I was trying to help and you throw that back at me. Wow. You're a great person! (sarcasm)

mirdragon
Topic Author

I don't think it was a nasty comment, I was stating the fact that for my post your response was not helpful at all.

@Anonymous wrote:

@mirdragon wrote:

If this is the case, you need the Sky Cinema and the UHD & Dolby Atmos packs, as well as a UHD compatible TV

Note: The UHD & Dolby Atmos pack is different to the Sky HD pack and costs an extra £6/€8 per month. 

Also, I don't know if you're trying to get it in the Sky Store. Maybe it's not available there? 

Your comment came across as though you're telling me I need that particular package, compatible TV and its different to the HD package and need to pay extra to watch that content and thus reason why you can't see it.

I would have not mentioned anything about it not being available in UHD/HDR if I never had the required package or hardware to watch the title in UHD as I wouldn't have been bothered about it.

@mirdragon wrote:

I don't think it was a nasty comment, I was stating the fact that for my post your response was not helpful at all.

@Anonymous wrote:

@mirdragon wrote:

Your comment came across as though you're telling me I need that particular package, compatible TV and its different to the HD package and need to pay extra to watch that content and thus reason why you can't see it.

I would have not mentioned anything about it not being available in UHD/HDR if I never had the required package or hardware to watch the title in UHD as I wouldn't have been bothered about it.

And I'm magically supposed to know you have the required subscription and TV? You've made as assumption that people would understand you have the required subscription and device. (removed) Be clear and concise and maybe this won't happen again. 

All you needed to say was something like "I have the right packages and devices, this is not my issue" instead of saying "thanks for pointing out the obvious". Or say nothing at all. I find that highly disrespectful when all I'm doing is trying to help. 

What about those who see this post in a month or two and are wondering the exact same thing as you, but they don't have the UHD & Dolby Atmos pack? Maybe they think the HD and UHD packs are the same. Maybe my answer will solve someone's issue in the future. 

Moderator comments: removed inappropriate language

This message was authored by Kirsty+S27 This message was authored by: Kirsty+S27

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

Remember the Community Rules especially Rule 1 - Be nice to each other. 

Thanks 

Kirsty

Community Manager
mirdragon
Topic Author

@Kirsty+S27 is there any news when this title will be available in UHD or Sky remove it from the UHD section?

This message was authored by Plektrum This message was authored by: Plektrum

Looks like it was removed for some reason as I watched it in UHD HDR over the weekend and still have it in my deleted items...

IMG_3471.jpg

—————————————————————————————————————————————————
Still in search of a great signature! I’ll get there one day!
This message was authored by Kirsty+S27 This message was authored by: Kirsty+S27

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

Thank you for bringing to our attention I have raised this to be investigated and will keep you updated once The Hanging Sun is available in UHD.

Thank you. 

Kirsty

Community Manager
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

Father Stu is another one (after 2 days) , listed under ' Latest !movies in HDR' even though it isn't.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion