Discussion topic: Sky Sports Premier League on-screen graphics

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: Sky Sports Premier League on-screen graphics

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

BT still had the 3 letter abbreviations, so it's something Sky have decided to do to be a bit different. 

I'm in the camp of knowing all the crests and knowing who's playing so it doesn't affect me. 

I do remember, though, when Sky first introduced having the score and time permanently on screen (I believe it was Richard Keys' idea). There was uproar from fans saying why do we need that on the screen. How times change. It would seem so strange now not to have it at all. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@oj01 wrote:

I do remember, though, when Sky first introduced having the score and time permanently on screen (I believe it was Richard Keys' idea). There was uproar from fans saying why do we need that on the screen. How times change. It would seem so strange now not to have it at all. 

So true and often on here many asking for the permanent time and score on screen for all highlights - not so easy accomplished.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
Miss+Liz
Topic Author
This message was authored by Miss+Liz This message was authored by: Miss+Liz

I would hate to still be watching in SD.

See images below. Simple screen shots from my iPhone, but I  thinkl you get the idea.

Sky needs to be considering all viewers, and making it work as well as possible for everyone.

The old way worked for everyone, and also provided the information needed  in a smaller screen space. That's always a good thing too.

UHD

UHD.jpg

HD

HD.jpg

SD

SD.jpg

Liz

This message was authored by june010644 This message was authored by: june010644

Why has sky stopped naming the football team playing and only showing their football badge ?

Why has sky stopped showing the names of the playing teams and only showing the Badge of that team. It is too small to make out. Also I do not recognise the badge emblem but do recognise the team names.

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

Re: Why has sky stopped naming the football team playing and only showing their football badge ?

@june010644 wrote:

Why has sky stopped showing the names of the playing teams and only showing the Badge of that team. It is too small to make out. Also I do not recognise the badge emblem but do recognise the team names.

Surely once they start playing you will know who's who ?

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
Miss+Liz
Topic Author

Re: Why has sky stopped naming the football team playing and only showing their football badge ?

If you follow that argument, why not just show the score and the time and no other information?

The graphics on-screen is to aid the viewer in working out what's going on, and it's no longer fulfilling that purpose for some viewers.

This message was authored by june010644 This message was authored by: june010644

Miss +Liz,

i agree entirely. I have asked the same question and same problem recognising the emblem. Why change what was already good.

eyesight or memory doesn’t get better with age.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@d2h wrote:

@Miss+Liz wrote:

An abbreviation is much more use to work out which team is which, compared to some impossible to read text.

Taking last night's match as the example, whether the scoreboard says EVE / CHE or has the 2 crests, from what you've said so far, you'd still have trouble working out the teams. 

I'd go out on a limb here and say that you're not the target audience either way. Perhaps you're the type of person they add the kit colours to the scoreboard for. Casual viewer / non-football watcher can simply look at the scoreboard colour and say 'Team in white has scored a goal'...

@d2h completely disagree I am quite capable of working out who Eve or Che is but have no idea of either club badge so tell me if Sky do the same with Scottish football would you know from the club badges who was playing ? but bet if they put 3 letters up you would work it out 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Have you informed Sky by emailing viewerR@sky.uk 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
Miss+Liz
Topic Author

@oj01 wrote:

I have.

The reply (condensed) was

We have considered the points you raised in your email and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views with us.

A few more emails from others wouldn't hurt, I'm sure.

Liz

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Miss+Liz wrote:

@oj01 wrote:

I have.

The reply (condensed) was

We have considered the points you raised in your email and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views with us.

A few more emails from others wouldn't hurt, I'm sure.

Liz

@Miss+Liz  that's the only way sky will get the message but it'll take a lot more emails than a few to get them to change it imo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@Laing1 wrote:

@d2h wrote:

@Miss+Liz wrote:

An abbreviation is much more use to work out which team is which, compared to some impossible to read text.

Taking last night's match as the example, whether the scoreboard says EVE / CHE or has the 2 crests, from what you've said so far, you'd still have trouble working out the teams. 

I'd go out on a limb here and say that you're not the target audience either way. Perhaps you're the type of person they add the kit colours to the scoreboard for. Casual viewer / non-football watcher can simply look at the scoreboard colour and say 'Team in white has scored a goal'...

@d2h completely disagree I am quite capable of working out who Eve or Che is but have no idea of either club badge so tell me if Sky do the same with Scottish football would you know from the club badges who was playing ? but bet if they put 3 letters up you would work it out 

I wouldn't watch Scottish football if you paid me. So no issue there. 

I have such little interest in Scottish football that Celtic and Rangers aside, I'd be struggling with anything other than full team names on the screen. 

Miss+Liz
Topic Author

@SKY1992bf wrote:

@Miss+Liz  that's the only way sky will get the message but it'll take a lot more emails than a few to get them to change it imo

Sadly, I think you are correct 😡

This message was authored by Grilly This message was authored by: Grilly

I quite like them... they aren’t used by BT Sport so its not down to the PL, so is a decision Sky made.

SkyQ HDR 2TB box
Sky Customer since 1990

Perhaps someone from sky can tell me why they changed the graphics, what benefit had it had on viewers. Not being sarcastic but I don’t know of anything that has improved watching the match’s. I’m afraid I have now got BT sports which show the three letters of each team which is all I ask for. Been a sky custom er for over 40 years.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion