Discussion topic: Sky Cinema subscribers now get access to Vue Cinema tickets

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Using free vip cinema tickets in Northern Ireland. We don’t have vue cinemas

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Earthmother @SanderCohen 

I've brought this to the attention of Sky elsewhere, as it does seem unfortunate to be widely promoting a scheme where the only (three*) qualifying venues are in another country.

*Dublin, Limerick, Ashbourne (near Dublin)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by SanderCohen This message was authored by: SanderCohen

Re: Using free vip cinema tickets in Northern Ireland. We don’t have vue cinemas

Thanks @TimmyBGood 

Seems a bit silly that they approved so much advertising (billboards/posters/ads in local papers) for something they cannot deliver in this country.

This message was authored by Earthmother This message was authored by: Earthmother

The that would entail a 200 mile round trip and toll fees.  Wise up sky,  use a second chain.  Ie; omiplex.

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Re: Sky Cinema subscribers now get access to Vue Cinema tickets

I wonder if Sky will be able to provide the offer so you can watch the new movies in Sky store, rather than going to the cinema? Some folks might live too far as mentioned above. Also what about people with well-being or health issues which prevents one from going.

Hopefully Sky will be able to do something 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Super+Anthony wrote:

I wonder if Sky will be able to provide the offer so you can watch the new movies in Sky store, rather than going to the cinema?

Very different business models: a physical cinema can attempt to recoup some of the 'lost' ticket income by selling over-priced drinks and snacks to people who otherwise wouldn't be there, and they would have to staff the building and show the film whether or not anyone was in the seats.  Vue may also be motivated by trying to get audiences back into the 'cinema habit', or just teaching them that such places still exist (except in Northern Ireland ; )

Giving away a movie on Sky Store is an absolute loss to either Sky or the distributor / studio: it also further undermines the basic reason for a cinema to exist in the first place.

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Valid points.

My only question if it is one, is whether cinemas are going to survive with the way one watches films etc. 

1. Sky

2. Apps like Amazon and Disney

The high street is changing or has changed

This message was authored by Earthmother This message was authored by: Earthmother

@Super+Anthony  Fair point,  but if they make it impossible to go,  then people will stop.  They are cutting their own throat 

@Super+Anthony wrote:

My only question if it is one, is whether cinemas are going to survive

The world managed reasonably well before 28 December 1895, and probably would do so again.

For a full time operation, you will need to generate annual average admissions of at least 20,000 to 30,000 per screen, substantially more than this in a single screen venue – some would argue 50,000 admissions per screen is the minimum viable level. This means you need access to a substantial catchment population and a substantial proportion of these must be people who are regular or heavy cinema-goers...

https://www.independentcinemaoffice.org.uk/advice-support/how-to-start-a-cinema/ 

Apparently providing micro-cinema can be a (kind of) viable 'experience' business model, but not based on actual ticket sales.

This message was authored by AshandMacy This message was authored by: AshandMacy

I subscribe to sky cinema and pay monthly through virgin but not entitled to free cinema tickets. Very very annoying. 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@AshandMacy 

This offer is available to Sky paying customers only via the VIP program which as a Virgin customer you wouldn't have access to.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

@caesarome  I am a diamond vip and still can't access,  vip is only good if you live in London 

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Earthmother wrote:

@caesarome  I am a diamond vip and still can't access,  vip is only good if you live in London 

Plenty of Vue Cinemas outside of London 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

@oj01  None in Northern Ireland, and all previous experiences and treats were in London.  I know, I used to look at them and sigh.  I was told they were doing something more inclusive, and we get this.  Still locked out.

This message was authored by garethm101 This message was authored by: garethm101

Completely agree with you! I'm fed up with telling sky we don't get about 90% of the VIP offfers over here in Northern Ireland. But they'll happily charge us the same as anyone else in the rest of the UK for the services.

Never anything g decent for us over here, and the closest shows etc I've seen are all in Dublin, a different country. Don't think this is good enough, Sky.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@garethm101 wrote:

I'm fed up with telling sky we don't get about 90% of the VIP offfers over here in Northern Ireland. But they'll happily charge us the same as anyone else in the rest of the UK for the services.

Nothing to do with your subscription charges. I imagine Sky are simply passing on promotional offers they've received.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion