Discussion topic: Programmes being changed to pay channels

This message was authored by Pat19 This message was authored by: Pat19

Programmes being changed to pay channels

Why is Greys anatomy been changed to Disney+ channel?  this is disgraceful as if we don't pay enough for channels, we are now asked to pay for Disney+ to watch this programme. I have tried to look to see where I can email my complaint but can't find anywhere, I say we should all get in touch with sky and demand this programme is put back to where it belongs and not on Disney+

Best Answers
This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

Re: Programmes being changed to pay channels

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Pat19  Sky can't do anything about it as Disney own the rights to the show and have decided to pull it from sky and put it on Disney + which is their right to do if they wish 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf Answer

@Pat19  Sky can't do anything about it as Disney own the rights to the show and have decided to pull it from sky and put it on Disney + which is their right to do if they wish 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

Because Disney own the show, Disney aren't selling any of their own content (ABC Signature/FX Productions/20th Television) to international broadcasters anymore.

Pat19
Topic Author

thankyou for your reply

Pat19
Topic Author

Thank you for your answer, well both the answers here was very helpful

This message was authored by CardiffMan1992 This message was authored by: CardiffMan1992

Think Simpsons is the last big Disney/Fox show that is still on Sky now and honestly surprised that hasn't moved to Disney+

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@Pat19 wrote:

Thank you for your answer, well both the answers here was very helpful

@Pat19  you could try contacting Disney and demanding they give Greys Anatomy back to Sky ! 🤠

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

Might as well get used to it, it looks like GA isn't the only show that Disney has taken away from Sky. Also, there's Yellowjackets which had one season on Sky but will be on Paramount+ in the future. Maybe if Sky loses enough shows we can all stop paying them & use the money for the other platforms.😀

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@merv60 wrote:

Maybe if Sky loses enough shows we can all stop paying them & use the money for the other platforms.😀

A crunch point will be in 2025* when the end of the exclusive deal between HBO and Sky Atlantic arrives: Warner Bros. Discovery are itching to launch HBO Max (probably merged with Discovery+) into the European territories which have a Sky Group presence, and it seems very unlikely they would continue to supply a Sky-badged broadcast channel with their products after that. 

* right about the time something actually happens in House of the Dragon ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by christhedj This message was authored by: christhedj

Before streaming, Sky was able to cherry pick from any broadcaster they liked to buy programming.

By 2025, they'll be limited largely to stuff from the Comcast stable (and that assumes they don't decide to have another try at making a proper go at Peacock here), and ad-hoc deals. 

That's why they've invested so much in original programming in recent years, and worked to add all the main streaming services to Sky Q, a box that wasn't designed for it. 

Telly is changing. The current deal for carriage on satellite ends in 2028. Freeview is only protected until 2030. These dates may well be extended but the reality is that producers want to have control of their own content, so we're all going to have to make our peace with streaming.

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

I suspect they will acquire more programming from Sony aswell (who don't have a streaming service), although it got mixed reviews , Alert on 'new Fox' in the US would be a good example, 

It's unfortunately stuff like Will Trent or Criminal Minds  Evolution they would be of acquired if Disney+ didn't exist 

This message was authored by christhedj This message was authored by: christhedj

Sony has Crackle which is currently geoblocked here (they came and left the UK before Netflix took off!). It's possible they'll revive that, so even there, nothing is certain.

Sony sold its remaining stake in Crackle in December 2020.

Yeah just discovered that. I stand corrected.

Sony prefer to produce or co produce programming for other streaming services or broadcasters.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion