Discussion topic: Italian TV Channels

This message was authored by SarahSunflower This message was authored by: SarahSunflower

Italian TV Channels

Hi everyone, 

Bit of a random question, but does anyone know if it's possible to have Italian TV channels added to my Sky package? And if so, a rough idea of the additional cost?

Thank you 🙂 

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Italian TV Channels

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SarahSunflower wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Bit of a random question, but does anyone know if it's possible to have Italian TV channels added to my Sky package? And if so, a rough idea of the additional cost?

Thank you 🙂 

hi @SarahSunflower 

Unfortunately the Italian Satellite channels use a different set of Satellites (at 13E)  which are directed at Europe rather than the ones used by SKY UK / Ireland (at 28E) directed at the UK & Ireland

SarahSunflower
Topic Author
This message was authored by SarahSunflower This message was authored by: SarahSunflower

Hi @nigea99 ,

That's a real shame, but thank you! 🙂 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

The only way to view Italian channels in the UK is this, as many UK independent satellite installers offer;

To access Italian TV in the UK is by using a 60/80cm dish aligned to the Hotbird satellite at 13 degrees east. You will also need a Tivusat decoder and card which will give you access to Rai 1, Rai 2, Rai 3, Rete 4, Canale 5, Italia 1, La 7, Rai Premium, Rai Movie and Rai Sport.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@lettice wrote:

The only way to view Italian channels in the UK is this, as many UK independent satellite installers offer;

To access Italian TV in the UK is by using a 60/80cm dish aligned to the Hotbird satellite at 13 degrees east. You will also need a Tivusat decoder and card which will give you access to Rai 1, Rai 2, Rai 3, Rete 4, Canale 5, Italia 1, La 7, Rai Premium, Rai Movie and Rai Sport.

The 1st 3 are FTA along with RAI Storia, RAI Scuola, RAI News, RAI Gulp and of course all the RAI radio stations, so should keep costs down 🙂

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@GD1 wrote:

@lettice wrote:

The 1st 3 are FTA along with RAI Storia, RAI Scuola, RAI News, RAI Gulp and of course all the RAI radio stations, so should keep costs down 🙂

But still need the addiional dish of course

I haven't looked - I wonder if the FTA channels are available via the internet.

I know when the French speaking TV5 Monde ceased on 28.2 they  pushed the web version - but that is a channel deliberately targetted outside Francophone countries 

@nigea99  They have RAI Play which is like iplayer, not sure if content is restricted outside Italy though

Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@nigea99 wrote:

@SarahSunflower wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you 🙂 

hi @SarahSunflower 

Unfortunately the Italian Satellite channels use a different set of Satellites (at 13E)  which are directed at Europe rather than the ones used by SKY UK / Ireland (at 28E) directed at the UK & Ireland

In addition the channel owners won't have UK broadcasting licences or be signed up to the Broadcasting Code, so a UK regulated EPG couldn't list them even if they were on the same orbiting platform.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Sg8686 This message was authored by: Sg8686

Is it possible to get UK sky in Italy? If I took my old Sky box and installed a dish? Buying a property in Palermo so would really like to have at least BBC etc 

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Sg8686 wrote:

Is it possible to get UK sky in Italy? If I took my old Sky box and installed a dish? Buying a property in Palermo so would really like to have at least BBC etc 

@Sg8686 no it's not possible, using hardware to access it outside the uk is a breach of contract and cannot be discussed especially on a forum operated and owned by sky themselves 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Sg8686 

No. Sky here is only available for UK or ROI subscribers plus your Sky Q box cannot be taken and used away from the account address.,

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

The footprint from the satellites would not reach Italy

See: https://satfi.co.uk/coverage/

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
Sky support for Sky+HD and earlier systems has ended, you can still get support if you already have Sky Protect insurance otherwise you'll have to find your own 3rd party company to get support from at your own expense

@Sg8686  If it's just the free channels you want you'll need a suitably sized dish 2 meter+ for Italy as many of the transponders are UK focused, even then your likely at a push to only get anything on the European focused transponders, which rule out the BBC channels. 

You may get the news channels, however that being the case your better off looking at 13e & 19E as these satellites have a much wider footprint and carry a cluster of english news channels.

As mentioned by other posters you can't take your Sky box with you, it's breach of the T & C's, you can however purchase a cheap generic FTA HD satellite receiver for use in Italy.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sg8686 wrote:

Buying a property in Palermo so would really like to have at least BBC etc 

Access to UK media sources is widely discussed in internet forums for expat and overseas second home owners.

As noted, Sicily is really a long way south and east (something like 1000 miles) which presents a basic challenge for reception of Free To Air satellite broadcast intended for UK dishes.  Of course, the Licence Fee which legitimises BBC viewing only licences a UK address anyway.

@Sg8686 

I'd note while Italy is one of the half dozen European countries in which Sky Group has a substantial presence as a major broadcast and online platform, Sky Italia is of course an Italian language service.

https://www.sky.it/ 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion