Discussion topic: Elsbeth

This message was authored by Mr+Ripley This message was authored by: Mr+Ripley

Elsbeth

If anyone is wondering what Elsbeth is about ( on Sky Witness next Tuesday ), it is a spin-off from The Good Wife & The Good Fight. It features the quirky attorney from those series, Elsbeth Tascioni (Carrie Preston ) in her own series. It is a bit like Columbo & Monk whereby you see the crime at the beginning & then follow how it is solved. She was always a good character in TGW & TGF, so this should be good.

It has already been renewed for S2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extraordinary Attorney Woo is THE BEST foreign series on Netflix

All Replies

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

Re: Elsbeth

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mr+Ripley wrote:

If anyone is wondering what Elsbeth is about ( on Sky Witness next Tuesday ), it is a spin-off from The Good Wife & The Good Fight. It features the quirky attorney from those series, Elsbeth Tascioni (Carrie Preston ) in her own series. It is a bit like Columbo & Monk whereby you see the crime at the beginning & then follow how it is solved. She was always a good character in TGW & TGF, so this should be good.

It has already been renewed for S2.

@Mr+Ripley 

Many thanks for this post - it saves me checking. 

When I saw a trailer for it I wondered if it was the same the Character I had seen (& enjoyed seeing) in The Good Wife & had been meaning to do some searches.  

Mr+Ripley
Topic Author

@nigea99  You're welcome. Funnily enough, we are currently watching Monk on Netflix, we're on S2 & really enjoying it. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr+Ripley
Topic Author

I should probably add that it doesn't matter if you haven't seen The Good Wife or The Good Fight as Elsbeth is a standalone series.

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

Interesting enough they acquired the Matlock reboot at the same time

https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/article/hit-us-drama-elsbeth-and-highly-anticipated-series-matlock-co...

Mr+Ripley
Topic Author

Elsbeth S1 E1 is available to download from On Demand in UHD. I'm guessing it is ad-free as the episode is only 42 minutes long.

This message was authored by JonD1492 This message was authored by: JonD1492

What's more frustrating is that More4 still have the UK rights to the sixth and final season of THE GOOD FIGHT, but in the three years since it originally aired in the USA, More4 have refused to show it, and you can't buy the series on DVD/Blu-Ray in the UK, and no one else is streaming Season 6 either.

So, as much as I want to see ELSPETH, and think it will be great, I'd really like to see what happens to her beforehand, in THE GOOD FIGHT's final Season first!

This message was authored by japitts This message was authored by: japitts

Pretty sure The Good Fight S6 was shown in Sept 2022 in the UK.

This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@japitts wrote:

Pretty sure The Good Fight S6 was shown in Sept 2022 in the UK.

Hasn't been broadcast in the UK, it isn't even on Paramount+ in the UK, season 6 was registered on BBFC a year ago and still no release and 1-3 left Prime during April.

Not quite sure why Digiguide has season 6 listed not sure when that was added.

I wouldn't actually rule Sky acquiring seasons 1-6 with the final season getting a linear broadcast.

@JonD1492 wrote:

What's more frustrating is that More4 still have the UK rights to the sixth and final season of THE GOOD FIGHT, but in the three years since it originally aired in the USA, More4 have refused to show it, and you can't buy the series on DVD/Blu-Ray in the UK, and no one else is streaming Season 6 either.

I am not sure about them still holding the UK rights, they could of chosen not to acquire the final season.

Mr+Ripley
Topic Author

While looking for some information on S6 of TGF, I came across these two reviews of Elsbeth: From The Guardian - "Elsbeth review – a tedious spinoff for the Good Wife character who makes you want to smash your TV. " 

From inews - "Elsbeth is yet another brilliant Good Wife spin-off. "

Critics eh? Gotta love 'em. It's like reading reviews on Amazon or Tesco.

I did see this: The Good Fight season 6 will premiere exclusively on Paramount Plus on Sept. 8, 2022. Paramount Plus is available in several locations worldwide, including the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the U.K., Italy, Denmark, Brazil, Chile and Australia. 

This does back up what @japitts said. Whether it's right or not is another matter.

Having been in contact with More4 on several occasions @Timelord2018 r.e. THE GOOD FIGHT Season 6, I can assure you, they've said that they do still have the free-to-air rights, but still haven't found a "suitable timeslot for it" - which is complete ****, seeing as much of their programming is repeats.  They could easily show it between Midnight and 5am, if they just want to get it over-and-done-with, but at least that would give the fans a chance to see it.

TV schedulers these days seem to have no respect for TV shows that they buy.  It's always about ratings, and that's it!  Channel 4 (and its offshoot channels), BBC, and Channel 5 are the three worst terrestrial offenders for screwing up with schedules of imported shows.  And then they complain that no one watches their output.  Well, if they didn't keep messing shows about, maybe we would!

@Mr+RipleyTo be fair, having now watched the first couple of episodes of ELSBETH, I have to say it's hugely disappointing and bland.  There's no "oomph" to the show; no excitement.  It's so pedestrian, and by the end of each episode, I honestly don't care why the murderer has done what they've done.  It's definitely not a show I think I'll stick with for much longer, unless there's a significant improvement to it.  Considering this is from the same team behind THE GOOD WIFE and THE GOOD FIGHT, I was expecting something really substantial.  ELSBETH is very poor, in my opinion.

After 2 years I would find it incredibly if More4 actually aired it now.

@Timelord2018True, but seeing as we can't even buy the series on DVD here in the UK either, and it won't get released until More4 do air it, then it leaves UK fans really wanting to find out what happens, and it also clearly has plot-strands that explain and lead into ELSBETH as well (e.g. why she's come to New York on a job, that appears to be trying to expose a potentially corrupt goverment official).

TV channels need to do better than this, if they want us to watch stuff on their outlets.  I don't expect every show to go out at primetime, but I do want it to be aired, so I can see what happens, rather than a channel just sitting on it for months/years!

Mr+Ripley
Topic Author

@JonD1492 wrote:

Having been in contact with More4 on several occasions @Timelord2018 r.e. THE GOOD FIGHT Season 6, I can assure you, they've said that they do still have the free-to-air rights, but still haven't found a "suitable timeslot for it" - which is complete ****, seeing as much of their programming is repeats.  They could easily show it between Midnight and 5am, if they just want to get it over-and-done-with, but at least that would give the fans a chance to see it.

TV schedulers these days seem to have no respect for TV shows that they buy.  It's always about ratings, and that's it!  Channel 4 (and its offshoot channels), BBC, and Channel 5 are the three worst terrestrial offenders for screwing up with schedules of imported shows.  And then they complain that no one watches their output.  Well, if they didn't keep messing shows about, maybe we would!

@Mr+RipleyTo be fair, having now watched the first couple of episodes of ELSBETH, I have to say it's hugely disappointing and bland.  There's no "oomph" to the show; no excitement.  It's so pedestrian, and by the end of each episode, I honestly don't care why the murderer has done what they've done.  It's definitely not a show I think I'll stick with for much longer, unless there's a significant improvement to it.  Considering this is from the same team behind THE GOOD WIFE and THE GOOD FIGHT, I was expecting something really substantial.  ELSBETH is very poor, in my opinion.

@JonD1492 Regarding your review, that's a shame, especially, as you say, it's the same team as the other shows. Elsbeth was an interesting, & fun character in TGW & TGF, so I was looking forward to this spin-off. It's still sitting on my Recordings, so I can't comment yet.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion