Discussion topic: Death in Paradise. Deleted scenes.

This message was authored by bclass This message was authored by: bclass

Death in Paradise. Deleted scenes.

I am watching season 2 of Death in Paradise on sky q catch up and the episodes are 53 minutes long including adverts. On BBC iPlayer they are 59 minutes long with no adverts. Are Sky deleting scenes and if so why.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Re: Death in Paradise. Deleted scenes.

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @bclass,

Thanks for the spot! I checked with our teams internally who confirmed due to the length of the latest series of Death in Paradise this was compressed to fit our 1-hour slot with adverts. You can download the full version by going to On Demand > Channels > Alibi > Death in Paradise.

Thanks,

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bclass wrote:

Are Sky deleting scenes and if so why.

@bclass 

It is nothing to do with Sky but if the version you are watching has adverts then you must be watching it via Albi catchup, the episodes are also available advert free via the BBC iplayer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@bclass wrote:

That would seem unlikely, particularly in a procedural where it could leave plot holes.  If it's a consistent change across every episode then I'd suggest there's been a frame rate conversion carried out somewhere, with the 'shorter' version simply playing slightly faster.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@bclass wrote:

I am watching season 2 of Death in Paradise on sky q catch up and the episodes are 53 minutes long including adverts. On BBC iPlayer they are 59 minutes long with no adverts. Are Sky deleting scenes and if so why.

I found this Tweet:

" US shows and movies are routinely sped up by 4% when they are shown in the UK/Europe/Aus/NZ etc. They are shot at 24fps but shown here at 25fps. Blu-rays usually run at 24fps, but European DVDs at 25. It's called 'PAL Speed Up'." (Note: fps is frames per second)

[Source]

This could be the case why one is 53 minutes lone and the other 59 minutes long. 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Sky would take the episode as provided to them by Alibi/uk tv.

Alibi on their own station show them mostly in 1 hour slots (sometimes 1 hour 5), do they show adverts in those slots?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey @bclass,

Thanks for the spot! I checked with our teams internally who confirmed due to the length of the latest series of Death in Paradise this was compressed to fit our 1-hour slot with adverts. You can download the full version by going to On Demand > Channels > Alibi > Death in Paradise.

Thanks,

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

This message was authored by Holly17 This message was authored by: Holly17

The beginning of each episode is missing. The 5 mins before the opening credits.  So we miss the whole plot line. This only seemed to start from season 8. I have to keep watching the start on you tube. Is this going to be amended? 

This message was authored by Mr+Ramsden This message was authored by: Mr+Ramsden

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@bclass wrote:

That would seem unlikely, particularly in a procedural where it could leave plot holes.  If it's a consistent change across every episode then I'd suggest there's been a frame rate conversion carried out somewhere, with the 'shorter' version simply playing slightly faster.

They do cut scenes on Alibi, often the comedy bits, however they often cut the pre title scene which is the actual murder

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Mr+Ramsden wrote:

however they often cut the pre title scene which is the actual murder

Outstanding ; )

Makes me think of the (probably apocryphal) edit of Brokeback Mountain shown on some airlines, about two cowboys who go fishing.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion