Discussion topic: Openreach

This message was authored by Nearmoor This message was authored by: Nearmoor

Openreach

Can anyone help I have a land line with Sky, but what happens in 2025 when Open Reach stops using all the old copper cables. Because my Broadband and land line come in to my property this way, does it mean I will loose everything??

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Openreach

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Nearmoor  You will find that ADSL only linesif that is what you are on will become more expensive than those that are either partial fibre ( fibre to the cabinet ) and fibre to the home. You will find ISPs will move customers from the older technology to newer technology.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Nearmoor Openreach are ending their analogue phone service but your existing copper cables will still be used for your broadband service. You'll be able to continue to use your phone by plugging it into a socket at the back of your broadband Hub

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Nearmoor wrote:

what happens in 2025 when Open Reach stops using all the old copper cables. 

The deadline for national PSTN switch-off has just been revised to January 2027

https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/21/bt_delays_deadline_for_digital/ 

The intention of this project is not to 'stop using all the old copper cables', although the timescale now coincides with the target of reaching 80% optical rollout.  As @Mark39 indicates, it's the removal of analogue signalling: some properties will continue to use copper 'phone line' to carry digital service for years to come.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion