Discussion topic: Landline phone number now incorrect after full fibre installation

This message was authored by Broseley89 This message was authored by: Broseley89

Landline phone number now incorrect after full fibre installation

We had full fibre installed 2 days ago. The techician connected everything and it's all OK, and we can make calls from the landline phone. However when I tried to ring my husband on it today it says "You have dialled an incorrect number" even though the number is saved on my mobile phone. I have tried this over and over. Has the number been changed?

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Landline phone number now incorrect after full fibre installation

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Have you made a call from your landline phone to the mobile so you can see what number comes up on its display ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by DanDanDanDanDanDa This message was authored by: DanDanDanDanDanDa

See my other posts here, exactly this happened to me. They change your landline number without telling you and there's absolutely no way to get it back. A complete disaster. Imagine if you were running a business and you lost your landline number?

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@DanDanDanDanDanDa wrote:

Imagine if you were running a business and you lost your landline number?

@DanDanDanDanDanDa 

If the OP was running a business they should be on a business subscription not one for domestic customers. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Broseley89
Topic Author
This message was authored by Broseley89 This message was authored by: Broseley89

Thanks, that's  a great idea. It came up with two zeros added on the end of the usual number. However when I dialled this number, it still gives the incorrect number message!

This message was authored by DanDanDanDanDanDa This message was authored by: DanDanDanDanDanDa

I don't see how that makes a difference. According to the rep I was just talking to you always lose your landline number when you go to full fibre. I even asked what a business would do and he said it's the same: you lose your number.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@DanDanDanDanDanDa 

What I mean is they wouldn't have posted on here in the first place. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Broseley89
Topic Author

First of all, I Googled the issue and found Ofcom have a rule that landline numbers must be kept.

Secondly, I rang Sky help. He tested everything and got the same result. Then he said that when the fibre is installed they switch the broadband on first, then the landline up to a few days later. He said its due to be switched on at midnight tonight and to try it again tomorrow morning. 

We'll see if he's right and I'll let you know. However they could have warned us about this and about the fact that we've had to reset all our WiFi enabled and smart gadgets which has taken ages to do, mainly because the instructions for most of them aren't detailed enough!

Broseley89
Topic Author

Well, it didn't work. We still have a non- working land line phone.

So I'll be phoning Sky again tomorrow.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Broseley89 wrote:

First of all, I Googled the issue and found Ofcom have a rule that landline numbers must be kept.

Ofcom has a regulation that telcos must attempt to permit  number portability: that's rather different to a 'rule' (which, frankly, they prefer to avoid making where this may restrict technical innovation or competition)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by CISCRH This message was authored by: CISCRH

I also had Sky FTTP broadband installed last week. I noticed that our landline had a dial tone but  didn't carry out any phone tests at that time.  All the installation work on site was carried out by a BT engineer. We have no issues with the upgraded broadband service.

Today my wife informed me that she can't get through to our landline using her mobile. I quickly confirmed the same problem when using my mobile. I then tapped in my mobile number on the landline phone & it rang my mobile. On checking the recent calls the mobile confirmed that the test call was from our existing 20 year old landline number.

I've raised a support call with Sky.

Broseley89
Topic Author

Hi @CISCRH the same happened to us exactly. The Sky tech advisor said to switch everything off and on again. Still no joy. Let me know if you get anywhere.

Power bounce always worth a try, but it made no difference this time... 2 minutes later I turned back on the ONT first & waited 5+ minutes to let it stabilise before turning on the SR203 hub & attached telephone. The hub returned 4 green lights after another 3 minutes. A test call from my mobile to the landline number resulted in the "number not known" automated response again.

Broseley89
Topic Author

@CISCRH I've just been on the phone to Sky Tech again for an hour. He tried the same things again. Then asked me to send a photo of the back of the router. Then he said it's a regional outage and possibly the fault of Openreach. I just have to wait while it's sorted out and they'll keep me updated by text.

I'm in Cheshire.

South Yorkshire here, nowhere near Chesire. I'll do some more checks tomorrow, otherwise wait for Sky to get back to me.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion