Discussion topic: How to register as a vulnerable customer for a Sky analogue phone?

StephenSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky

Re: How to register as a vulnerable customer for a Sky analogue phone?

@Mark39 wrote:

@Hesley Sky have not yet moved existing customers to a digital landline and I've seen no plan yet for them to do so. Currently only new customers and customers upgrading their broadband package are migrated. 

However, it would be sensible to contact the provider of his care alarm to find out how they accommodate the switchover.

I got the attached letter a few weeks ago threatening to cut my broadband off on 21st September unless I 'upgrade'!

I am currently in discussion with the Sky accessibility team to see how to prevent this nonsense...

I am really genuinely worried.

sky termination.jpg

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@StephenSky thanks for that. I hadn't seen that before your post. Looks like some customers with a fibre,optic cable to their home will be losing the old copper based service.

This message was authored by cymru123 This message was authored by: cymru123

@StephenSky 

You are in an exchange area which is retiring the copper network and would seem you have full fibre available to you hence you will be required to move to full fibre as the copper infrastructure in your area is being decommissioned.

More info here on retiring the copper network: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

StephenSky
Topic Author
This message was authored by StephenSky This message was authored by: StephenSky

@cymru123 wrote:

@StephenSky 

You are in an exchange area which is retiring the copper network and would seem you have full fibre available to you hence you will be required to move to full fibre as the copper infrastructure in your area is being decommissioned.

More info here on retiring the copper network: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

I do have full fiber available to me, however, when converted, my landline will be converted to digital. which in a power outage I will have NO comms (I do not get a mobile signal). How is that an improved service? This is exactly the situation that BT/OpenReach stated a few years back would not happen with the roll out.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@StephenSky wrote:
This is exactly the situation that BT/OpenReach stated a few years back would not happen with the roll out.

If they did state that (which would have been foolish) then things have moved on.

The Ofcom requirement is that service providers identify potentially vulnerable users and then take steps to mitigate risk: typically where there's no mobile signal this would be a battery power supply to keep the optical ONT and ISP router going (for an extremely inadequate one hour of runtime)

The move towards the end of PSTN and its accompanying loss of exchange power is an inevitably at this point, although the target deadline has recently slipped by two years.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@StephenSky 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-and-broadband/telecoms-infrastructure/access-emergency-organisations... 

@StephenSky 

Interestingly while BT Broadband has currently suspended involuntary migration to FTTP, Sky and other Openreach ISPs have not.

StephenSky
Topic Author

Just thought I'd update this thread. Yesterday I ordered Sky Fiber broadband as my local copper exchange is closing in 5 weeks. I called this morning to the 'accessibilty' team requesting that the installer also provide some kind of UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply)  so that when I have a power outage I can still use landline in an emergency. (I have no mobile signal at home)

I was told tht SKY do not supply anything like that, and it would be up to myself to compensate any emergency. Now, I was under the assumption that OfCom had advised ISPs that for vulnerable customers they must offer some kind of battery backup to allow for emergency use in a power outage.

This morning, I called both BT Broadband and Fibrus Broadband, and both would supply me with a UPS FREE because of my circumstances.

I am at an absolute loss as to why Sky are ignoring such a critical issue. I have now sub,itted a complaint against them with OfCom, who told me due to the urgency of this and my 'vulnerable' staus, the priority email will be sent to Sky today, and they have 5 days to respond.

Can't beileive the amount of stress Sky is putting me under on this issue.

I've been with sky for 32 years - I expected better...

StephenSky
Topic Author

Final post on the UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) . Within 48 hours of me submitting a complaint to OfCom about this, I am now in receipt, from Sky, a UPS. Just posting here for all the ;'superusers' on this forum who may come across a similar issue on Sky initially not fulfilling their obligation (as ordered by OfCom) to ensure vulnerable customers still have access to emergency communication should they suffer a power outage. Maybe you can advise other customers who post on this forum seeking similar help.

With this device, my router will continue working (with additional power socket for Fiber ONT), allowing me the facility of WiFi calling. No, I don't know how long for, but Sky suggest it's about 2 hours, maybe longer as the power draw is very low.

UPS 1.jpgUPS 2.jpgUPS 3.jpg

Interesting....thank you for that. It's the first occasion I've seen where Sky have provided this.

@Mark39 

Interesting that Sky is choosing to use a very generic UPS (2x UK mains and an irrelevant USB connection for PC shutdown) while the EE offering is twin UPS each with only a dedicated cable outlet to match the ONT and Smart Hub power pins.

At least the Sky leaflet looks like it's been specifically commissioned for the task ; )

StephenSky
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Mark39 

At least the Sky leaflet looks like it's been specifically commissioned for the task ; )

Your post made me smile. Yes, there is a dedicated 'Sky' instruction leaflet, but, it's printed out on a laser printer and stapled together! I'm guessing they're not planning to issue too many UPS 🤣

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Mark39 

Interesting that Sky is choosing to use a very generic UPS (2x UK mains and an irrelevant USB connection for PC shutdown) while the EE offering is twin UPS each with only a dedicated cable outlet to match the ONT and Smart Hub power pins.

It certainly doesn't look like a 'final solution'. As with other providers, it appears Sky haven't got their corporate head around it yet (perhaps they're hoping the requirement will go away).

StephenSky
Topic Author

@Mark39 wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Mark39

It certainly doesn't look like a 'final solution'. As with other providers, it appears Sky haven't got their corporate head around it yet (perhaps they're hoping the requirement will go away).

I absolutely agree, it's very 'Heath Robinson' looking!' I have been aware of this 'power' issue since OpenReach made their 1st press release on digital years ago. I immediately saw the flaw in it and tried to lobby Age Concern, and SilverLine on the issue, both gave me a shrug of their collective shoulders as I'm positive they didn't fully realise the consequence.

According to Mr Google, Sky has just under 6 Million broadband customers. Even if just 2% were registered as 'vulnerable' that means 120,000 potential users that would benefit from a UPS. You'd think that one of the 'brains' of the outfit would be preparing for, 'D' day (digital) and do some rapid preparation...

Now being a primary carer for my 86 year old mum recovering from a stroke, I have become acutely aware of 'digital' consequences on elderly & vulnerable. If you think the communication industry doesn't care, you should see what they have to cope with the banking industry...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion