Discussion topic: Dead landline

This message was authored by Rodent15 This message was authored by: Rodent15

Dead landline

Broadband works fine, but landline stone dead for a couple of weeks. Tried two different phones, no difference. If I call the number I get 1571 service, but no dial tone and no ringing from the phone. Troubleshooter diagnostics all say services are fine and there are no outages in my area.

If I call the 0333 number on my mobile, O2 will charge me 35p/minute.

The router is an old-ish ER115 with two internet ports but no socket to plug in a landline. I have tried changing the microfilter, but that doesn't make any difference.

Is there any way of getting this sorted without a ruinously expensive phone call? Thankyou.

Best Answers
Rodent15
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rodent15 This message was authored by: Rodent15 Answer

Re: Dead landline

So as expected a line fault outside my house that will need to be fixed by Openreach. It is ridiculous that Sky don't have a simple way of reporting a fault without having to post here and hope that somebody from the firm will respond. Why not a simple fault reporting tool?

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

First try the simple connection test here, even though your broadband is working ok.

Let us know the result.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/broadband-diagnostic-start

Rodent15
Topic Author

Hi Mark,

I have tried this, and it just says everything is good, broadband speed 75Mb/s. There's nothing about how to check the landline connection, as far as I can see. I tried the chatbot thing but that didn't go anywhere either.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Hi @Rodent15 broadband and phone are delivered via the same cable, so sometimes both can be affected by a fault. 

Best report it to Sky.We can ask Sky's messaging team to contact you here so that you can report it tomorrow via a private online chat, if you wish?

Rodent15
Topic Author

Hi Mark,

Yes, please, thankyou.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Rodent15 
I’ve escalated your post to Sky and their Messaging Team should contact you later today.

If an external fault is found Sky will pass it to Openreach for further investigation. 

You need to watch out for a post from one of the team inviting you to a private chat and then you should see a blue/red speech bubble at the bottom of your forum page. You’ll have 48 hours to click on it and start the private chat or it will close automatically. If you fail to respond to a chat reply within 48 hours the chat will again close down automatically even if your issue hasn’t been resolved. Replies from Sky aren’t instant so you’ll need to check the chat thread fairly regularly.

This link explains what happens.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent Rodent15 an invite to chat.

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
Rodent15
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rodent15 This message was authored by: Rodent15 Answer

So as expected a line fault outside my house that will need to be fixed by Openreach. It is ridiculous that Sky don't have a simple way of reporting a fault without having to post here and hope that somebody from the firm will respond. Why not a simple fault reporting tool?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion