Discussion topic: Using Sky HD box without Sky subscription

This message was authored by Lara12345678 This message was authored by: Lara12345678

Re: Using Sky HD box without Sky subscription

Hi

single channel worked!! Thankyou

And thanks very much to everyone who replied!!

This message was authored by marshdp This message was authored by: marshdp

Per the discussion below, do terrestrial channels still work in HD if a Sky contract is cancelled. I have a Sky HD+ box. I know most of the functionalities won't work. I'm thinking of channels for BBC1 HD page 115, BBC 2 page 102 and ITV page 103.

Thanks you.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@marshdp yes, you'll still receive BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and 5 in HD.

This message was authored by marshdp This message was authored by: marshdp

That's great, thanks Mark.

I wondered if it would only play the channels in SD so that's welcome news.

Darren

This message was authored by Sean+J+B This message was authored by: Sean+J+B

If I keep the box and don't use Sky, will the recordings (football matches) still work?

@Sean+J+B wrote:

If I keep the box and don't use Sky, will the recordings (football matches) still work?

No, you'll lose the record/playback functions.

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@Sean+J+B wrote:

@Sean+J+B  No you need a valid subscription to the relevant channel to watch recordings 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
This message was authored by girasoldawn18 This message was authored by: girasoldawn18

I stayed in two houses due to work, paid for sky in both houses, then sold one cancelled the subscription for that but I was told the 2t box was mine to keep. Original house the dish rusted so got skyQ. Bought another house put up a sky dish and connected my old box everything was going great I could not record but it did have pause and playback then one morning the dream was gone the card had a burn mark across it. The box still works great but only basic. The skyQ is a nightmare the box makes so much noise. Selling that house soon and SkyQ will be gone forever unless they get a quiet box.

@girasoldawn18  I imagine Sky disabled the Viewing Card. The brown stain is completely normal and isn't a burn mark. It's just discoluration of the resin that glues the two halves of the card together. 

Hzve you reported your noisy Sky Q box? It shouldn't be that noisy. Mine was nearly silent, except when starting up after a power down. 

This message was authored by girasoldawn18 This message was authored by: girasoldawn18

I thought they might disable the card so no hard feelings. The skyQ box clunks and from what I've read most of them do make a noise, you must be one of the lucky ones. I've retired now so when I move I am going to get rid of sky I can't justify the price increases they have made. 

This message was authored by phuqwitz This message was authored by: phuqwitz

A slightly different question after reading the above;

A friend has a (satellite) HD box but no subscription.

The card that is in the box is not paired. We have tried to pair it, but cannot find a way to pair the card and box without having a subscription as we are reuired to enter the last four numbers of the bank account from which the subsciption is paid!

Is there a way to do this please? He is disabled and cannot afford a subscription but needs to be able to receive the HD channels as the SD ones are ending soon.

@phuqwitz wrote:

A slightly different question after reading the above;

A friend has a (satellite) HD box but no subscription.

The card that is in the box is not paired. We have tried to pair it, but cannot find a way to pair the card and box without having a subscription as we are reuired to enter the last four numbers of the bank account from which the subsciption is paid!

Is there a way to do this please? He is disabled and cannot afford a subscription but needs to be able to receive the HD channels as the SD ones are ending soon.

This has come up before, and as I recall was unresolved. It appears there's no way to pair VIewing Card and box where there's no subscription. By the way, Viewing Cards aren't transferable and remain Sky property.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@phuqwitz wrote:

The card that is in the box is not paired.

Any such card was not legitimately transferred, so activation cannot be expected to be viable.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by phuqwitz This message was authored by: phuqwitz

Incorrect.

Some years ago Sky would send customers in Jersey (possibly elsewhere) one of the 'blue' viewing cards to allow reception without a subscription.

From memory I think there was a small charge of roughly £4...

Whether this is still the property of Sky is immaterial, as it still needs to work for the pourpose for which it was supplied.

Since the original box is faulty, there should be a way to transfer the card into another box and pair it.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@phuqwitz wrote:

Incorrect.

Some years ago Sky would send customers in Jersey (possibly elsewhere) one of the 'blue' viewing cards to allow reception without a subscription.

From memory I think there was a small charge of roughly £4...

Whether this is still the property of Sky is immaterial, as it still needs to work for the pourpose for which it was supplied.

Since the original box is faulty, there should be a way to transfer the card into another box and pair it.

In that case, phone Sky

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion