Discussion topic: Is there a Sky Plus End of Service date?

This message was authored by bettyh02 This message was authored by: bettyh02

Is there a Sky Plus End of Service date?

My 88 year old mother in law is a very happy sky subscriber. She has been with Sky since 1988.

She finds it very difficult to learn new things.

18 months ago I bought her the latest rev Sky+ hardware (£50) 2TB disk and onboard wifi. I also switched her to Sky Telephony and Broadband.

She loves the package she has right now. She's figured out how the "Catchup TV" works. She loves downloading TV shows when she's forgottent to record them. She understands that if I see a program she might enjoy I hop on the  Sky Go app and download it for her.

Now that she has good wifi in her home - she's getting used to the smart tvs she has. She still hasn't watched anything on them yet (other than DTT - Digital Terrestial Television) although she keep hitting the netflix launch screen - I've even set up a profile for her,

I need a long time for her to come to terms with the eventual end of SKY+ service and for her to come to terms with the SKY Glass offer. I think she'd be OK with it eventually

Am I right in thinking that she'd be wise to skip the SKY Q generation of hardware?

Please Can someone advise the anticipated SKY+ end of service date.?

Best Answers
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01 Answer

Re: Is there a Sky Plus End of Service date?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bettyh02 Theoretically, there's no reason why Sky+ can't keep going for as long as satellite transmission does. Whilst Sky stopped actively updating the software some years ago, it still works fine and there are plenty of second hand boxes available on E Bay.

Sky Glass is a very different system (there's no recording for a start) and I would suggest doing a lot of research before going down that route. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

There is no publicised end of service date for Sky Plus

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01 Answer

@bettyh02 Theoretically, there's no reason why Sky+ can't keep going for as long as satellite transmission does. Whilst Sky stopped actively updating the software some years ago, it still works fine and there are plenty of second hand boxes available on E Bay.

Sky Glass is a very different system (there's no recording for a start) and I would suggest doing a lot of research before going down that route. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@bettyh02 wrote:

She understands that if I see a program she might enjoy I hop on the  Sky Go app and download it for her.

Be aware that's not possible with Sky Glass.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
bettyh02
Topic Author

I agree with you. Incidentally there was a bug last year with the switch from BST to GMT where the displayed time in the UI was incorrect. A patch was rolled out within about 48 hours.

So although there'll be no new features. The box is maintained when there is a defect

bettyh02
Topic Author

I had a great conversation with the SKY agent. That was one of his points about SKY glass while emphasising his need to sell SKY GLASS. The other point he made is no internet - no TV, I implicitly knew that and I'd be OK with that, but of course MIL regards internet as a non-essential frippery. She can live without catchup TV for 2 or 3 days. However her SKY satellite is rock solid (never fails) so it would be awkward explaining that she's missing Emmerdale because there was a "certificate" issue on the devices on the core SKY network. 🙂

So if you want to store programmes, or worry about Internet outage then SKY Glass is not for you

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 100 minutes

New Discussion