Discussion topic: Wrong source selected when turning on Sky Puck

This message was authored by Jami3UK This message was authored by: Jami3UK

Wrong source selected when turning on Sky Puck

Hello everyone,

I have an issue where when I turn the Sky Puck on, it turns my TV on fine but it selects a different HDMI source, so for me it's the source the Xbox is connected to. So I have to manually select the source on another controller to get Sky on screen.

This doesn't happen all the time though. It's only when it's been turned off for a while. Say, overnight for example. It's strange.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?

Many thanks,

Jamie

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Wrong source selected when turning on Sky Puck

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jami3UK you are right the TV is getting confused. You can speed up the start of the puck by selecting it to remain networked in standby but it will take 10 to 15 seconds. 

I occasionally have the same issue with a Firestick but I have programmed the Harmony remote I use to control,my main system to power  on the TV before the puck which works for me. Devices like xBox can be brought out of standby by HDMI control. 

None of these things should happen but unfortunately they do. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Jami3UK the selection of input is down to a system called HDMI CEC which is an incomplete standard so you can get different things happening when you mix different manufacturers kit. The Sky puck will send a handshake message to the TV when you take it out of standby which turns the TV on and switches it to the correct HDMI but as part of the TVs start-up process it checks the other devices connected and the x-box's response is switching the input.

Fixing it is another matter but you can try strating the TV with a  long press of the Sky remote's power button followed by pressing the Home button to wake the puck.  That way the TV will do itts start up routine and then the puck wakes and sends its handshake.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Jami3UK
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jami3UK This message was authored by: Jami3UK

Thanks @Chrisee. Could this then be down to the way the Xbox is in standby and not actually 'off' (even though in the source menu the Xbox is regarded as being turned off). Technically it shouldn't switch to that source. 

Also, when I turn the TV on it goes to the TV's homepage for a good 20 seconds before switching to the Sky puck.

I feel like the signals for each device are getting confused?

Jamie

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Jami3UK you are right the TV is getting confused. You can speed up the start of the puck by selecting it to remain networked in standby but it will take 10 to 15 seconds. 

I occasionally have the same issue with a Firestick but I have programmed the Harmony remote I use to control,my main system to power  on the TV before the puck which works for me. Devices like xBox can be brought out of standby by HDMI control. 

None of these things should happen but unfortunately they do. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion