Discussion topic: WiFi vs Ethernet

Super+Anthony
Topic Author
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

Re: WiFi vs Ethernet

@Floydianslip Using one from my provider

This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Super+Anthony 

Worth considering investing in your own router, I gave up on ISP provided routers three years ago and haven't looked back. My WiFi is very stable and my router (Asus AX6000) covers the entire house , connecting 4 pucks,without the need for mesh systems or boosters. 

Worth trying imho.

Super+Anthony
Topic Author
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

My router is fine though. I have 500 daily at present. The question was really whether I should change from the Ethernet to using the WiFi, but thank you though

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Super+Anthony wrote:

My router is fine though. I have 500 daily at present. The question was really whether I should change from the Ethernet to using the WiFi, but thank you though

Have you tried it yet ?

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

If your WiFi connection is robust and without issues, and an Ethernet cable is  inconvenient, use WiFi😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@Exiled-in-HH wrote:

If your WiFi connection is robust and without issues, and an Ethernet cable is  inconvenient , use WiFi😉

Yes! The less cables and clutter the better for me ....

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Floydianslip This message was authored by: Floydianslip

@Super+Anthony 

It isn't about the speed your router is capable of, it's about the range of the WiFi signal your router is capable of.

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

.... and that depends on the construction of the property😉

Exiled in HH
Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Thank you for all your help

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Will stick to my Ethernet. No need to change. I have a top of the range router and it's also next to my TV and puck 

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Still having issues that the puck freezes on either the TV menu, the channel or anywhere else. My speeds are fine. 90 via Ethernet and 500 via WiFi. I have also spoken to my broadband provider and they have said everything is fine with the tests.. There must be a software issue that is needed. Also it's not just me that it's happening to and I know some of my friends have same issue and people on here

Also my router is next to the puck and both are next to the TV

I love the stream system and hopefully the tech team can do an update. Sky have been very helpful on the phone

This message was authored by Nigelb1972 This message was authored by: Nigelb1972

Have you ran a speed test via the Netflix app? Because those speeds you're quoting are not to the Puck because it's technically impossible for the Puck to have a 500mbps WiFi connection as it's only a 100mbps network adapter... 

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

Yes I have, that's why I included them. Thank you though. On the WiFi it's come up with 497 speed. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Nigelb1972 wrote:

Have you ran a speed test via the Netflix app? Because those speeds you're quoting are not to the Puck because it's technically impossible for the Puck to have a 500mbps WiFi connection as it's only a 100mbps network adapter... 

Thats the ethernet port that is capped at 100 mbps. Although the Glass/Puck won't use anything even close to 100 mbps so its possible to have a 500 mbps connection via WIFI from the puck but it will only use less than 10% of that available bandwidth.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Super+Anthony
Topic Author

@MarkGoldsmith Indeed, was about to write the same, but helpful as always 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion