Discussion topic: Thinking of switching from Sky Q to Stream.

This message was authored by gerry-4 This message was authored by: gerry-4

Thinking of switching from Sky Q to Stream.

I am thinking of switching to stream but wonder about the interface. For the live TV is there a daily schedule? Is there the option to channel hop to see whats on? I have spent past 70 years watching old fashioned TV & not sure I could get used to not looking at a channels schedule & just watching it 'live' & made quickly flick between 2 channels, i.e. a football game & F1? Can you do that on Stream. I feel not.

Best Answers
gerry-4
Topic Author
This message was authored by gerry-4 This message was authored by: gerry-4 Answer

Re: Thinking of switching from Sky Q to Stream.

Thanks for all of the replies. I found all of them informative. I have now decided to stay with Sky Q  even though it is more expensive.

Thanks again

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

For your immediate question.

Yes there is a tv guide and yes you can channel hop.

There is no recording as it all revolves around streaming and on demand. It is not like TV as we know it.

My advice look at the newest videos on YouTube or better still go into a Sky Store at you local retail outlet and play with the equipment.

From your question I'd say Sky Q would be best for you.

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @gerry-4 

See: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/your-playlist-and-tv-guide-sky-glass

There is a video under TV Guide that will help show you how it works. But there is a full EPG (Electronic Program Guide) and you can switch between channels using the channel numbers or channel up/down on the remote.

The back button won't take you to the previous channel like Q, you would need to enter the channel numbers (I.e 401 for Sky Sports Main Event and 406 for SS F1).

If you record extensively, Glass / Stream may not be for you as there is no recording locally and you have to use catchup services like iplayer or Skys cloud where available.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
gerry-4
Topic Author
This message was authored by gerry-4 This message was authored by: gerry-4

Thanks for the replies. I would love to go and play with it but closest time is 2.5 hours away, so that option is not available.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Take a look on YouTube there are Sky videos, reviews and user experiences, it's well worth spending a few hours checking them out first.

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@gerry-4 

Be wary of some review videos, and particularly Sky's own videos about Stream. They are cleverly edited to make features such as voice search appear to work instantaneously. They do not. There is a short lag in much of the Stream user interface, including channel hopping. It takes longer to buffer & play a stream than it does to switch to a satellite transponder frequency. Only by a fraction of a second in most cases, but it can be frustrating depending on what you're used to. 
Also make sure you have fast & stable broadband, otherwise the Stream experience can be very poor. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Hi @gerry-4 

I see you have mentioned flipping between sports channels. Unfortunately I found that sport on Sky Glass was so dire I cancelled my sports subscription as soon as the F1 season was over.

Generally I like the concept of Glass / stream despite it's problems and am more than happy to persevere.  It has improved significantly with updates over the last few months and I'm sure it will continue to do so. However, I have been advising family & friends to hold off for now and to stay with Sky Q a little while longer whilst Sky iron out a few more of the problems.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@gerry-4 wrote:

not sure I could get used to not looking at a channels schedule & just watching it 'live' & made quickly flick between 2 channels, i.e. a football game & F1?

A streaming service may not be for you: changing the tuning on a broadcast system is always likely to be (and more importantly, feel) quicker and smoother.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
gerry-4
Topic Author
This message was authored by gerry-4 This message was authored by: gerry-4 Answer

Thanks for all of the replies. I found all of them informative. I have now decided to stay with Sky Q  even though it is more expensive.

Thanks again

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@gerry-4 Glad you have been able to make an informed decision.

I imagine streaming is the future of TV viewing but it's not quite there yet so maybe have another look in a few months time 😀.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Kenzy This message was authored by: Kenzy

DONT DO IT!!

Check comments and reviews on here but also on Google.

This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@Kenzy wrote:

DONT DO IT!!

Check comments and reviews on here but also on Google.

@Kenzy I take it you didn't see/read  @gerry-4 post earlier that says they have decided to stay with Sky Q 

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion