Discussion topic: Stream Issues

This message was authored by WogerB This message was authored by: WogerB

Re: Stream Issues

Update: Called Sky and it appears they'd tried to order the replacement Sky Stream Puck for me, but for some reason it had failed. It looks like it just stopped at that point. A new puck has now been ordered and should be hear by Tuesday 5th March. (They said.) Let's hope it fixes the problems otherwise it will probably be the end of Sky.

This message was authored by Adrianp77 This message was authored by: Adrianp77

Just about had enough of Sky Stream. My puck has crashed 3 times in the last hour. Have to unplug and reset every time. Crashes on average 15 times a day. Not fit for purpose. 

Further Update: New puck arrived Saturday morning. Results so far are that it seems as if the 'crashing' and black scren issues are resolved. I would also say that it 'feels' more responsive, i.e. quicker to do things when you press a button on the remote. However, the TV/Soundbar, both LG and working fine together and before, lost sound from the Sky Streak puck. Unless I set the puck sound output to Auto, PCM or Passthrough, I don't get any audio from it. Very strange. Haven't changed any settings on the TV and doing so when there is no sound from the Sky Stream puck makes no difference unless the puck is set to one of the three options  listed. TV and its built in Netflix, Prime etc. seems to work fine. Need to do some more investigating. Unless anyone has an obvious answer?

This message was authored by MarkC08 This message was authored by: MarkC08

Am I missing something obvious:  because of increasingly frequent "waiting for programme to load...", and before I cancel and go to another means, I thought I'd try connecting the puck to my (BT) router via ethernet cable.  The respective sockets in the puck and router are different and I cannot plug the cable into the puck.

What's going on?

This message was authored by Case This message was authored by: Case

Something must be wrong at Sky Streams end, couple of freezes watching Liverpool game today, rebooted Sky Steam puck, after 1st Black Scream with Sky Logo nothing,  hard reset puck now I cannot get Network Setup screen to connect to Internet either Hard Wired or Wireless.

Same HardWire works fine when plugged directly into TV Netfix checks OK, wireless to amazon Fire Stick also works fine. Please Sky tell uis whats going on tonight ???

@MarkC08 Not sure what cable your using, but router and Sky Puck are RJ45 Ethernet connectors. Are you maybe looking at the smaller socket for direct phone connection to the router? The Ethernet connectors are usually in a row together. 

Final update. Started to have a few of the issues with the new Sky Stream Puck. Tried a few things, but no change. Found that because of the issues we'd gravitated away from Sky to using the TV for Netflix, Prime, Apple etc. and after looking at what we were watching, as well as the cost, we've decide to cancel Sky. Shame after 20 years, but even the guy I spoke to at Sky sounded like he'd had the conversation a lot recently. 

This message was authored by Case This message was authored by: Case

I am now back online with Sky stream. Nothing changed on my network, but after a 30min powerdown of Sky Stream Puck, on reset startup a software update initiated itsself on the Puck after a couple of more reboots I was able to conmplete the startup sequenece and link my account.

This message was authored by Mtb66 This message was authored by: Mtb66

I swapped from Virgin last July 

Was convinced to take stream option and not box. Nothing but trouble. Can't think of anything positive about service. Never had these issues when with sky previously and had box . Would never recommend and can't wait for date that can change and get a box. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mtb66 Have you tried calling Sky to discuss the possibility or moving to Sky Q instead of Stream.  If you argue strongly enough (but politely) they may agree to you changing mid contract.  I have read of others on the forum who have done this well into their Stream contract.  You would most likely have to sign up for a further 18 month contract though.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

@Fothergill1 I don't think @Mtb66 would need to argue too strongly. When I called up to cancel they offered switching to Sky Q becasue I said I wasn't happy with the ongoing issues with Sky Stream. Sadly by the time I called them we'd decided to ditch Sky due to content and cost, so Sky Q wouldn't have changed our minds.

This message was authored by Jason+Golding This message was authored by: Jason+Golding

You can currently leave Sky stream free of charge even if your are in a 'contract' no need to swap to another Sky product. 

Sky Stream x 2
LG C2 OLED 55inch
Sonos Playbar
Virgin 1 Gig
Virgin Stream Box
Xbox X
Apple TV 4K
Amazon 4K Firestick Roku 4K Google Chromecast
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Jason+Golding wrote:

You can currently leave Sky stream free of charge even if your are in a 'contract' no need to swap to another Sky product. 

Is this still true do you know?

I wonder if it's just down to the issues Sky Stream has had or perhaps influenced by the Virgin Stream box which is available for a one off £35 fee as long as you have VM BB. No monthly fee unless you add various rolling monthly packages which you manage yourself via your account so no dodgy VM customer service needed 🙂

Of course if your TV has the Apps you need then you don't even need their puck but if you do need it for a specific App(s) then it is very good. I'm running it alongside my Q box for now.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jason+Golding wrote:

I wonder if it's just down to the issues Sky Stream has had or perhaps influenced by the Virgin Stream box which is available for a one off £35 fee as long as you have VM BB. No monthly fee unless you add various rolling monthly packages which you manage yourself via your account so no dodgy VM customer service needed 🙂

Of course if your TV has the Apps you need then you don't even need their puck but if you do need it for a specific App(s) then it is very good. I'm running it alongside my Q box for now.

It's not influenced by the Virgin Stream box - it's a legal requirement for Sky to release any customer from a long term streaming TV contract with just 31 days notice. 

The Digital Markets, Competition and Consumers Act 2024 is a government bill which has a clause which basically allows a customer to leave any streaming contract that isn't paid for fully in advance. No customer pays for a full 18 months of Sky Entertainment in advance so there is a legal requirement for Sky to allow you to leave such a contract early.

The 18 month Sky streaming TV contracts are basically just the offer of a discount for 18 months, seemingly not binding you to have to pay the full amount of that contract.    

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jason+Golding wrote:

It's not influenced by the Virgin Stream box - it's a legal requirement for Sky to release any customer from a long term streaming TV contract with just 31 days notice. 

The Digital Markets, Competition and Consumers Act 2024 is a government bill which has a clause which basically allows a customer to leave any streaming contract that isn't paid for fully in advance. No customer pays for a full 18 months of Sky Entertainment in advance so there is a legal requirement for Sky to allow you to leave such a contract early.

The 18 month Sky streaming TV contracts are basically just the offer of a discount for 18 months, seemingly not binding you to have to pay the full amount of that contract.    

Ahh, cheers I wasn't aware of that. It looks to be active now if I'm reading that right?

This will affect us at work as I work at a call centre, nobody has every mentioned it either.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion