0

Discussion topic: Stream Issues

Reply
Reply
This message was authored by CF79 This message was authored by: CF79

Re: Stream Issues

This is frustrating.  I've just returned to sky after getting a deal with broadband.  Thought stream would be a good option.  We've had the box 4 hours.  It has powered itself off twice,  become non responsive to the remote several times and now glitching and frozen trying to watch Disney.  The only way to correct is to power off.  

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Stream Issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CF79 wrote:

This is frustrating.  I've just returned to sky after getting a deal with broadband.  Thought stream would be a good option.  We've had the box 4 hours.  It has powered itself off twice,  become non responsive to the remote several times and now glitching and frozen trying to watch Disney.  The only way to correct is to power off.  


Do you have it connected to the internet via WiFi? If so I'd suggest trying to disable the WiFi via the pucks settings and connecting via an Ethernet cable and see if that helps. 

it's also worth opening the Netflix app on the puck go to get help and check your network. This will show the download speed the puck is getting. Best trying this when you start to see freezing issues.



Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue


NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by CF79 This message was authored by: CF79

Re: Stream Issues

Connected by Ethernet.  Connection speed 65Mbps. I've now disabled WiFi as well.  Disney just crashed again after about 3 seconds. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Stream Issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CF79 wrote:

Connected by Ethernet.  Connection speed 65Mbps. I've now disabled WiFi as well.  Disney just crashed again after about 3 seconds. 


Yeah disabling WiFi is a good thing as it keeps switching between the 2 otherwise.

 

its possible the reboot now will help, i know i had to reboot when i disabled WiFi for it to take affect.

 

is it only Disney + that does this? If it is perhaps trying an app refresh will help.

 

Settings > System Management > Resets & Updates > refresh apps. This process is not instant and is carried out in the background so don't expect an instant solution.



Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue


NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Stream Issues

Well, I was considering switching to Stream from Q when I do the annual dance in May but you lot are putting me right off.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Re: Stream Issues

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@CF79 wrote:

Connected by Ethernet.  Connection speed 65Mbps. I've now disabled WiFi as well.  Disney just crashed again after about 3 seconds. 


If you haven't already try connecting via WiFi ..... you never know you could have a dodgy ethernet cable. Providing you have a good signal strength where your puck is located you may be surprised......

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. Gibson les paul tribute. Gibson les paul junior. Fender telecaster. Epiphone billie joe .. rock on
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Stream Issues


@CF79 wrote:

This is frustrating.  I've just returned to sky after getting a deal with broadband.  Thought stream would be a good option.  We've had the box 4 hours.  It has powered itself off twice,  become non responsive to the remote several times and now glitching and frozen trying to watch Disney.  The only way to correct is to power off.  


As others have noted, the Sky Stream experience can be somewhat glitchy. Some days it works fine, others it can be a right pain. Regular rebooting at the socket is pretty much inevitable - it shouldn't be, but it is. 
Some have a better experience than others but I think most people feel the pucks could do with some hardware improvements to make them more stable. Hopefully that'll happen at some point... but probably not soon. 

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Stream Issues


@Padam_Padam wrote:

@CF79 wrote:

This is frustrating.  I've just returned to sky after getting a deal with broadband.  Thought stream would be a good option.  We've had the box 4 hours.  It has powered itself off twice,  become non responsive to the remote several times and now glitching and frozen trying to watch Disney.  The only way to correct is to power off.  


As others have noted, the Sky Stream experience can be somewhat glitchy. Some days it works fine, others it can be a right pain. Regular rebooting at the socket is pretty much inevitable - it shouldn't be, but it is. 
Some have a better experience than others but I think most people feel the pucks could do with some hardware improvements to make them more stable. Hopefully that'll happen at some point... but probably not soon. 


Weren't the Stream boxes first launched about a year ago in Germany or do they use different hardware?

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Stream Issues


@Colin0000 wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@CF79 wrote:

This is frustrating.  I've just returned to sky after getting a deal with broadband.  Thought stream would be a good option.  We've had the box 4 hours.  It has powered itself off twice,  become non responsive to the remote several times and now glitching and frozen trying to watch Disney.  The only way to correct is to power off.  


As others have noted, the Sky Stream experience can be somewhat glitchy. Some days it works fine, others it can be a right pain. Regular rebooting at the socket is pretty much inevitable - it shouldn't be, but it is. 
Some have a better experience than others but I think most people feel the pucks could do with some hardware improvements to make them more stable. Hopefully that'll happen at some point... but probably not soon. 


Weren't the Stream boxes first launched about a year ago in Germany or do they use different hardware?


The Stream pucks were launched in the UK more than two and a half years ago in Oct 2021, at the same time as Glass. They became available as standalone devices a year later in Oct 2022. 

They are based on the Comcast XiOne boxes launched in the USA around the same time. 
Comcast have also recently just launched the Xumo Stream Box which is the same hardware again with a different remote, but this time running a variant of the same Entertainment OS we have on the Stream puck. It's not exactly getting glowing reviews in the states either... 

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

Re: Stream Issues


@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Colin0000 wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@CF79 wrote:

This is frustrating.  I've just returned to sky after getting a deal with broadband.  Thought stream would be a good option.  We've had the box 4 hours.  It has powered itself off twice,  become non responsive to the remote several times and now glitching and frozen trying to watch Disney.  The only way to correct is to power off.  


As others have noted, the Sky Stream experience can be somewhat glitchy. Some days it works fine, others it can be a right pain. Regular rebooting at the socket is pretty much inevitable - it shouldn't be, but it is. 
Some have a better experience than others but I think most people feel the pucks could do with some hardware improvements to make them more stable. Hopefully that'll happen at some point... but probably not soon. 


Weren't the Stream boxes first launched about a year ago in Germany or do they use different hardware?


The Stream pucks were launched in the UK more than two and a half years ago in Oct 2021, at the same time as Glass. They became available as standalone devices a year later in Oct 2022. 

They are based on the Comcast XiOne boxes launched in the USA around the same time. 
Comcast have also recently just launched the Xumo Stream Box which is the same hardware again with a different remote, but this time running a variant of the same Entertainment OS we have on the Stream puck. It's not exactly getting glowing reviews in the states either... 


Ahh, of course, I'd forgotten the Glass multi-room pucks. I've still got a pending order of a Glass TV from Oct 2021 on my account as I cancelled it before it arrived and broke their system 🙂 Took me forever to get the refund too.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"
This message was authored by CF79 This message was authored by: CF79

Re: Stream Issues

We've done several reboots and still having the same issues.

 

I've tried a different ethernet cable direct to the router with no other devices wired and still havng the same issue.  Netflix shows 90Mbps speed.  We rebooted it last night while watching something else via another device.  After about 15 minutes we tried the Sky puck again but it was non responsive after not even using it.  I can't believe it is this bad for everyone, but seems like some level of issue is very common.  I asked yesterday for a Sky Q box instead, but they don't provide them anymore.  I'm very relucatnt to continue into a 18 month contract with this product.  Added to my issues is Sky incorrectly opening my new account under my wifes name.  Seems like because I used an existing userid on Sky.com they have reactivated our old account.  Thus when I ask to cancel this new contract they are saying they can't as they need to speak to the account holder.  Frustrating would be a polite way to describe the situation.  

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: Stream Issues


@CF79 wrote:

We've done several reboots and still having the same issues.

 

I've tried a different ethernet cable direct to the router with no other devices wired and still havng the same issue.  Netflix shows 90Mbps speed.  We rebooted it last night while watching something else via another device.  After about 15 minutes we tried the Sky puck again but it was non responsive after not even using it.  I can't believe it is this bad for everyone, but seems like some level of issue is very common.  I asked yesterday for a Sky Q box instead, but they don't provide them anymore.  I'm very relucatnt to continue into a 18 month contract with this product.  Added to my issues is Sky incorrectly opening my new account under my wifes name.  Seems like because I used an existing userid on Sky.com they have reactivated our old account.  Thus when I ask to cancel this new contract they are saying they can't as they need to speak to the account holder.  Frustrating would be a polite way to describe the situation.  


I sympathise with your frustration. 

Whoever told you that Sky Q is no longer provided is mistaken. You can absolutely still order Sky Q. If you really still want a Sky subscription then you should get back in touch with them and ask to speak to someone who knows about Q. 

This message was authored by CF79 This message was authored by: CF79

Re: Stream Issues

Following further discussion we decided to cancel the service.  Sky were requiring me to contact my ISP to ensure there was no issue with my broadband (When every other device in my house works fine) and then suggested that I change the password on my router to see if that worked (connected by ethernet anyway).  When we proceeded to cancelling my Wife had to verify her ID, but then had to give my email instead of her own as it was me that opened the account.  Just a ridiculous state of affairs.  Then we've had an email stating we will be charged for the time we had the service.  I've cancelled the direct debits as no way am I paying for the unusable service we've had.  Really disappointing service from Sky.  

This message was authored by WogerB This message was authored by: WogerB

Re: Stream Issues

@Dunlop73 Did you receive your replacement Sky Stream Puck? I've had all of the same types of problems, tried all of the fault finding suggestions and gave up. I spoke to Sky on 9th February and they said they would send me a replacement puck. Called them again on 15th as I'd heard nothing and they said it could take up to 10 working days. Here we are 13 working days on and not a peep out of them.

This message was authored by Mikeabc1 This message was authored by: Mikeabc1

Re: Stream Issues

Had Sky in its various guises forever and was fine with Sky Q. I was there increasingly using streaming services and Apple TV and wanted to go full streaming and get rid of the satellite dish and Sky Q hardware. 
I've got 2 rooms with TV. One is a media room with a full Sonos setup and Apple TV and the other in the lounge  with Sky Soundbox. 
Initially I went with Sky Glass but as soon as it arrived I hated it and switched to a new 4k TV in the media room and Sky Stream on both. 
Its fair to say it was not an easy switch from Q but I'm now sold on streaming. 
From the off I had massive problems with the puck in the lounge. These have now largely disappeared, partly as a result of settings changes and some I suspect with software upgrades to the puck. 
Oddly I have never had an issue with the one in the media room. 
If you are wedded to the idea of watching recorded programmes then stick to Q, but I have to say I am now happy that I made the switch. I've got my head around advert skipping and have not to reboot for about a month. 
I'm watching 4k on an 83" 4k TV with no problem on a 35MPS feed whilst simultaneously watching HD on the lounge TV. In a 3 storey Victorian house so have the router on the middle floor so it only has to punch the signal through the floor to the lounge or ceiling to the media room. No thick walls.

Hope this helps. 

Reply

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion