Discussion topic: SkyQ AND Stream at address?

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Re: SkyQ AND Stream at address?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@grahamdg 

I can't see your logic ? Why not save yourself some money and get 5 or 6 sky stream pucks?

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by grahamdg This message was authored by: grahamdg

Logic was simple (at least to me), SkyQ master box works fine,  existing mini box doesn't, mini box is connected to a 4k kitchen tv, SkyQ master to living room tv (all hard wired), fed up with the minibox and if I've recorded something in UHD, can't watch it on Minibox, unless its on catchup/demand and I download it again in HD...... So Reduce the cost of the existing SkyQ package (remove movies/sport/minibox/multiroom) obtain refund for the many months of being overchanrged, install Stream with new account which includes Netflix, add the UHD stream option and sorted.... It was actually cheaper as well.... Having a record function is still important (Stream proves this as it isn't anywhere near as complete as SkyQ) after that it is just a streaming box addition to a home network (just like you would with Roku/FireTV/AppleTV)..

This message was authored by SlenderRobert This message was authored by: SlenderRobert

@grahamdg wrote:

Logic was simple (at least to me), SkyQ master box works fine,  existing mini box doesn't, mini box is connected to a 4k kitchen tv, SkyQ master to living room tv (all hard wired), fed up with the minibox and if I've recorded something in UHD, can't watch it on Minibox, unless its on catchup/demand and I download it again in HD...... So Reduce the cost of the existing SkyQ package (remove movies/sport/minibox/multiroom) obtain refund for the many months of being overchanrged, install Stream with new account which includes Netflix, add the UHD stream option and sorted.... It was actually cheaper as well.... Having a record function is still important (Stream proves this as it isn't anywhere near as complete as SkyQ) after that it is just a streaming box addition to a home network (just like you would with Roku/FireTV/AppleTV)..

Why not just get a dedicated streaming device like a Roku/FireTV/Apple TV 4K for your 4K kitchen TV?

A Q box can't talk to a Stream puck so even if you still record something in UHD on your master Q box, you'd need to playlist it separately on Stream or search for it on demand to watch it on your second TV. 

If you're getting rid of movies and sports from your package then there also won't be a lot to see in 4K on Stream - some box sets and occasional Sky Original series but that's about it. 

A Firestick, Roku or Apple TV box will give you much more control of what apps you can download and use too. Sky control everything about Stream - including the choice of apps. 

This message was authored by grahamdg This message was authored by: grahamdg

The reason for wanting to stay within the Sky system was that I always liked Sky (even in the Thompson STB era) and it was supposed to be easier (turned out anything but..) but yes I am seriously considering just having a 2Tb portable USB SSD drive behind each tv and record most things that way and fit Roku's for Stream,ing Netflix  apps, etc... A couple of our Tv's happily stream Netflix UHD/iPlayer 4k etc. direct via their inbuilt apps so might just settle for that at this rate..... Cost about 2 months current sky sub to do....... I'll await an answer to the complaint but essentially already made up my mind, their losss.....

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion