Discussion topic: Sky stream pixelating

This message was authored by John19642 This message was authored by: John19642

Sky stream pixelating

Hi , i new to sky , 3 months , have 2 pucks , the last week or so , 1 of the pucks is pixelating really bad , i not called sky yet , i have read many of the threads on here and on google , i not tech minded , so some of the jargon confuses me.  😅

So is there a simple solution , do sky acknowledge the issue , any help , pkease 🙋‍♂️

All Replies

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Re: Sky stream pixelating

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@John19642  This is a known issue at the moment and Sky are looking for a solution.  I very occasionally see the pixelation mostly on the History channel.  Some subscribers have a much more serious problem than me.  Sky Sport seems to be particularly bad for the pixelation according to some of the threads.

There is a very comprehensive thread with over 500 posts at this LINK

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
John19642
Topic Author

@Fothergill1 thankyou for your reply , i looked through that thread earlier , 👍 its got to the point with my tv , its not watchable , i on the verge of disconecting the sky box , i hope sky comes up with a solution soon , 

Thanks again 🙋‍♂️☺️

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

BUT first .... what is your Puck's connection speed to Sky's servers measured using the Netflix Network check on your Puck?

Who is your ISP?

Exiled in HH
John19642
Topic Author

@Exiled-in-HH 

My speed is 45 ish , measured through AVG and Sky Checker

My internet is with sky , all new 3 months ago

We have 2 pucks only one is playing up tho

☺️🙋‍♂️

This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Since one is having issues and the other is not is why you need to use the Netflix Network check on the Pucks to measure the connection speed😉

Exiled in HH
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Having good broadband throughput is key to a Sky Stream puck.
 Your 45Mbps could be close to the limit at times for what we would recommend for Sky stream, if your household local bandwidth is heavily hogged..
Sky recommended minimum broadband speed of 25Mbps. Or 30Mbps if you add an extra Sky Stream puck or to watch in UHD. Using the new Live Sync option (Sky Sports Main event channel selectable option) adds a few more Mbps to each puck when in use.

Can you do a network speed test on each of your Pucks.
Launch Netflix on your pucks (you do not need to be logged into it, if you do not use netflix) and scroll down the left menu to Get help.
Choose Check Network.
Would suggest running the test a few times, say a few minutes between tests.
What is your speed for each puck?

Also, the Sky Stream pucks can suffering from interference,, the puck much like a Sky Q box can for some customers suffer from this at times. More often seen as an intermittent blip.
Not always a cure, but the following may help to resolve;
Make sure you have a good 6-8 inches free on all sides of the puck.
Do not stack the puck on top of any other device.
Best not to sit it on a glass shelf. Wood is generally the best.
Make sure the puck is in the open, not tucked away in a cabinet or sat directly behind the TV.
Make sure you have no other devices that can cause interference closeby, like cordless phones, radiators, baby monitors, microwaves and the like.
Assume you are using the Sky supplied hdmi cable or a high speed equivalent one.

Plus, change both your pucks to following recommended settings set in Settings>
Turn wifi OFF under Network (f connected via ethernet).
Set Network standby mode to ON and Overnight power saving is OFF.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
John19642
Topic Author

@lettice   @Exiled-in-HH 

Thank you both for your replies.

I will run a netflix speed test tonight , after work 

We only use 1 puck at a time not both together.  They are not hidden away , covered up or on top of any other electrical equipment ,  they both sit behind the tv with plenty of space around them . The puck worked fine for a couple of months , on thinking more about it , it doesnt pixelate if we watch netflix movie or discovery plus , i think its just live TV.

☺️🙋‍♂️

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion