Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Re: Sky stream , honest review

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DazLad1 wrote:

@Rushy64 

No you can't record...single program or series.

You set the program or series as a favourite...then, if they bother to stream what you've favourited, you can watch it.

Warning***

They don't always save programs...sometimes one or two programs will be missing in a series.  Some programs you need to have another app...such as watching the Tour de France...you need to pay for Discovery+ app...extra cost & that's only one example.

Sometimes, they stream whatever is on at the set time for the program...if it's not what you want to watch tough **bleep**.

All in all, DO NOT expect streaming to be anywhere near as good as being able to record...you'll be very disappointed, as I am.

Discovery + is free for sky subscribers currently 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by DazLad1 This message was authored by: DazLad1

@Jporch316 

How do I go about getting that & is it permanent or just a free for a bit, then pay offer?

@DazLad1 wrote:

@Jporch316 

How do I go about getting that & is it permanent or just a free for a bit, then pay offer?

Try this 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-marketplace-subscribe-to-discovery-plus

43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

@Jporch316 thanks, I'll try this when I get home on Wednesday.

@DazLad1 

I've had it for over a year .... just a note it's not the premium version which I think you only get with a TNT sub. I have watched the tennis, champ league final and olympics on there 

@Jporch316 ahhhh...I think that may just be discovery then, as opposed to discovery+ but I'll check it out anyway.

@DazLad1 

as far as I can tell there's threelevels of sub - you get the standard level with sky 

Discovery + basic 

discovery + standard 

discovery + premium 

Basic

• Stream our on-demand catalogue, plus the following live channels: Animal Planet, Discovery, Discovery History, Discovery Science, DMAX, Food Network, HGTV, ID, Quest, Quest Red, TLC, and Turbo.
    (This plan was previously called Entertainment).

Standard

• Stream everything included with the Basic plan, plus sports content: Eurosport 1 & 2, cycling, tennis, snooker, motorsports, and the Olympic Games Paris 2024.
    (This plan was previously called Entertainment & Sport).

Premium (incl. TNT Sports*)

• Stream everything included with the Standard plan, plus TNT Sports: UEFA Champions League and Europa League matches, Premier League games, Premiership Rugby, MotoGP, boxing, UFC, WWE and more.
This message was authored by 1TC This message was authored by: 1TC

Hi, thank you for your honest review. Assuming that you had unwatched recordings on sky Q, were these on the streaming service?

TC

@1TC 

I was with VM & had loads of series recorded, with quite a bit not seen.  I checked with Sky that these would be available & the answer was, everything is available on our streaming service. 

Technically, it is available but what they don't tell you is, a lot of the time, programs are missing & a lot of what I had recorded, I need to purchase another app to be able to watch. 

Moving to the streaming system is the worst thing I could have done & I completely regret it.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@DazLad1 wrote:

@1TC 

I was with VM & had loads of series recorded, with quite a bit not seen.  I checked with Sky that these would be available & the answer was, everything is available on our streaming service. 

Technically, it is available but what they don't tell you is, a lot of the time, programs are missing & a lot of what I had recorded, I need to purchase another app to be able to watch. 

Moving to the streaming system is the worst thing I could have done & I completely regret it.

Just to add to this ,things aren't necessarily truly missing. What sometimes happens is that from the playlist it fails to pick up an episode. This is more common from shows being played back on some on-demand apps ( in particular i've noticed it happening a lot on ITVX and sometimes on Discovery + but only those apps) than others and is usually caused by missing or incorrect metadata on the episode listed on that app. However even if an episode is missing from the playlist, you can just open the corresponding app the show is available on and watch it from there. ( so the episodes are watchable).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Rushy64 This message was authored by: Rushy64

Many thanks for that info.

Now confirmed it's time for me and Sky to part ways completely. I've been prepared to put up with their price hikes whilever they were continuing to cover the programs I wanted to watch - particularly Rugby League - but now they have significantly reduced the offer available from all 6 matches a week to only two (as I've been with them forever and have an old Sky+HD box so streaming doesn't work at all), I'll look for what the future is bringing - without Sky!

@MarkGoldsmith useful response. That's exactly my position!!

what use is the red button when it doesn't work across all sky equipment (I have a terabyte box), and if you're going to be late for a kick off but can't set the system to record if you do have red button access.

I certainly wouldn't have signed up for this version of sky sports when all 6 RL fixtures cannot be watched. I feel let down and conned.

@Rushy64 

useful response. That's exactly my position!!

what use is the red button when it doesn't work across all sky equipment (I have a terabyte box), and if you're going to be late for a kick off but can't set the system to record if you do have red button access.

I certainly wouldn't have signed up for this version of sky sports when all 6 RL fixtures cannot be watched. I feel let down and conned.

mirrors90
Topic Author
This message was authored by mirrors90 This message was authored by: mirrors90

As a follow up to my review, there is one thing nagging me, and that is the hardware.

The hardware is substandard and that shows - the lag between pressing option and it happening is quite substancial (especially for Sky Sports + or any third party app) - it loads like a 1998 video game running on your intel pentium PC. If you use an apple TV box or a firestick - you'd notice it's smooth and quick to flick between menus - Sky Stream lacks that.

It's a great service which is hamstrung by the sheer lack of processing power in the box.

You do kinda get used to it - but for a "premium streaming service" it does wonder why we aren't getting boxes capable of delivering a smooth , fast service.

Sky Stream x 3
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@1TC wrote:

what use is the red button when it doesn't work across all sky equipment 

Sky+ HD was superceded by Sky Q from 2016 onwards, and is itself approaching end-of-life.  Sky+ cannot host apps: it's an antique platform going back nearly a quarter of a century.  Should Sky not have released Sports+ for the 90% of subscribers who can receive it because of 10% who have chosen to remain on legacy hardware,?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion