Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky stream , honest review

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mufngruf wrote:

And if BT can figger out how to put a box on tTHEIR streaming service that I can record on, I don't see why Sky couldn't. 

Sky could have done that by specifying a box with local storage: they chose not to do so.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mufngruf This message was authored by: mufngruf

And it cost them a diamond customer

mirrors90
Topic Author
This message was authored by mirrors90 This message was authored by: mirrors90

Follow up to my review - 

The Pro: full 4k experience in any room with the multiple boxes - this is the key - as anyone with a small child would know - watching the football in 4k HDR usually started off well but ended up with watching it on a sky Q mini box - this has been a godsend. 

The Con: My fibre isn't the best whilst Openreach upgrade the area to FTTP - so i've had some days i've not been able to watch unless I've connected the sky box to my phone and watched over 5G.

There's not been anything that it hasn't found as a recorded show - i've always been able to search (the voice search is brilliant on it) - and click play - then it's been there. lack of local storage has not been an issue throughout the 4 months. It's something you are concerned about when you order - but it's fine in real world useage.

Sky Stream x 3
This message was authored by vinnyboy33 This message was authored by: vinnyboy33

Hi all. I love sport and used to record most of it on to my Q box. Now with sky stream could i still do that and be able to watch it all at a later date or will it just put it as highlights. I want to know before i go onto steam if i can record live sport or sort of record as i know you can't technically but say i record a full days tennis will it be there for me to watch later or will it be like Now TV and only show highlights i need an honest awnser for this thanks.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@vinnyboy33 wrote:

Hi all. I love sport and used to record most of it on to my Q box. Now with sky stream could i still do that and be able to watch it all at a later date or will it just put it as highlights. I want to know before i go onto steam if i can record live sport or sort of record as i know you can't technically but say i record a full days tennis will it be there for me to watch later or will it be like Now TV and only show highlights i need an honest awnser for this thanks.

It's impossible to say with 100% certainty that all sport you add to your Sky Stream playlist will be available for you to watch later. Reliability seems to vary between sports and whatever service the sport is streamed from. Sky Stream supports Sky's own sports services as well as TNT Sports, DAZN, and others, all of which have differences in their streaming rights. 

The only way to get 100% certainty of having all the sport you want available to you at a time that's convenient is to make a physical recording of a broadcast onto a hard drive. The only way to do that is with Sky Q. 

No.. actually one can do exactly that with  a BT box

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@vinnyboy33 wrote:

So yes you can record sport. Whether it will work for some of the more fringe and less main-stream sports thats down to the broadcaster.

I've "recorded" numerous sporting events from Sky Sports and TNT Sports. The Sky Sports ones you do get a cloud recording, although these may expire within a few days ( a good example i've found is with the pool broadcasts on Sky Sports, you can cloud record the sessions and watch them but each recording is only availalbe for 48 hours after broadcast before Sky have to delete the recording due to the broadcasting rights they have). I've never had a issue with anything like Cricket, F1 or Football broadcast on the Sky Sports channels.

TNT Sports, i've found you don't tend to get a cloud recording, but instead the content will be opened and viewable from within Discovery + which is typically just a recording TNT have taken and uploaded to the platform (including the ad breaks from the channel).

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Moggey This message was authored by: Moggey

I had the move from from Sky Q the Sky stream as new flat don't allow dishes and must say I hate it with a passion , once my contract up will move too ee where you can record programs .

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

I personally think it's a great improvement, but we all entitled to our opinions. Just out of interest, why do you not like it? @Moggey 

can't speak for anyone else but MY reason is simply because you can't record the full item to watch later.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Moggey When moving from Sky Q to the Streaming platform there is certainly a learning curve but once I was used to the new system I would not consider returning to Sky Q as I find streaming so much more convenient.  It's a personal viewpoint of course as I know many people like you are not happy and just want to return to Q.  

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

@mufngruf Fully understand but I have to say the picture and sound quality is far better

well.. let's be realistic... the picture and sound quality on a recording you can't make or watch in full, doesn't really matter.
The undeniable fact is that most people aren't able to even see the difference in picture quality....  between streaming and a dish.. but we sure understand the loss of the ability to record one channel while watching another... or middle of the night sports events.

This message was authored by Moggey This message was authored by: Moggey

Can't see why sky can't have stream box that records as EE and Virgin do so I'll move over to them , plus I've had to cancel Prem Sports as it's not on sky stream witch is a must for me with the URC rugby on there.

and BT do also.... I think that this is a real foot-shooting on Sky's part.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion