Discussion topic: Sky stream , honest review

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

Re: Sky stream , honest review

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Mitch16 wrote:

Mmmm.. Intriguing.. Looks like I need to do some heavy googling..

And YouTubing ....

sky has it own YouTube channel that has lots of videos of the stream UI in action 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Jporch316 wrote:

@Mitch16 wrote:

Mmmm.. Intriguing.. Looks like I need to do some heavy googling..

And YouTubing ....

sky has it own YouTube channel that has lots of videos of the stream UI in action 

Many of which are edited to remove the lag when using voice commands, and aren't a true representation of the speed or effectiveness of the UI.
It's better to look at real world independent reviewers who don't edit their videos as much, and to look at comparisons with other streaming devices for a truer picture of how these services work. 
By far the best thing to do though is to try it for yourself. It's why Sky offer the free trial - some people just don't like Stream... and some people love it.  

This message was authored by Stewpot72 This message was authored by: Stewpot72

Continuing the theme of an honest review of Sky Stream, I can't wait to end my contract and move to a better service. 
My main issues are with the playlist facility. A perfect example is setting my rugby league match to "record". The game was played yesterday, Saturday, but only now at around 11 am on Sunday is it available to watch AND it's only highlights, which the associated blurb doesn't tell you. 
And, if I do manage to get a proper "recording" of a programme, I invariably have to scroll through all of the other assciated programmes that Sky has so helpfully put in my playlist in order to find the actual programme I really wanted to watch. Frustrating beyond words. 

This message was authored by Rebelfairy This message was authored by: Rebelfairy

Hi, I'm looking at switching from Sky q to Sky stream because I don't want a dish at the house we're moving to. 

I called customer services and the price quoted was just under £150 per month (I was also upgrading my broadband from super fast 35 to ultrafast 500). This also included sky boost which I have read I probably don't need with fibre broadband.

when I have looked at prices on independent websites it appears that the sky stream price should be much lower than sky q. 

have I misunderstood or is it because I am an existing customer that I pay a huge monthLy fee. I can't help but feel I am getting ripped off or at least not being given the best advice about what package I need.

any advice gratefully received, thanks.

This message was authored by Mitch16 This message was authored by: Mitch16

I think that you're correct. You are an existing customer so they will continue to fleece you for as long as they can. £150 per month to watch telly? I mean, come on. There just has to be cheaper options than that.

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Rebelfairy 

Q and Stream usually end up being more or less the same price if you're getting as close to a like for like package as possible. 
The best Stream deals are always reserved for new Sky customers, not those switching from Q or +HD. You can try and haggle with customer services but they don't offer as big discounts on Stream as they used to on Q. 
The streaming TV market is much more competitive than the satellite market and it's actually a lot easier to get excellent deals on both broadband and streaming TV services from various companies, not just Sky. 
Personally, I took the switch from Q to Stream as an exercise in working out what exactly we watched and how much we were paying for it. It became apparent that most of what we watch came from streaming services we could get for free or very cheap elsewhere.
The best thing about Sky Stream is that it cleverly packages everything up in a neat user interface and single monthly bill which is great for many people, but you can get a lot of the same content elsewhere for less money if that's a priority for you. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Rebelfairy wrote:

Hi, I'm looking at switching from Sky q to Sky stream because I don't want a dish at the house we're moving to. 

I called customer services and the price quoted was just under £150 per month (I was also upgrading my broadband from super fast 35 to ultrafast 500). This also included sky boost which I have read I probably don't need with fibre broadband.

when I have looked at prices on independent websites it appears that the sky stream price should be much lower than sky q. 

have I misunderstood or is it because I am an existing customer that I pay a huge monthLy fee. I can't help but feel I am getting ripped off or at least not being given the best advice about what package I need.

any advice gratefully received, thanks.

So it depends, but i suspect there may have been confusion and mis-selling from the agent you were speaking to.

To give you an idea the list prices for Sky Stream packages are:

Ultimate TV - £31

Sky Sports - £30

TNT Sports - £30

Sky Cinema -> £13

Agreeing to sign up to an 18 month contract should get you some discounts on these packages, typically they advert Sky Cinema at £9/10 per month, Sky Sports should be attainable for between £22-25.month on an 18 month contract as well.

Existing customers can tend to negoiate discounts on the TV side, from my experience its the broadband side that its hard to get discounts on as an existing customer, so it may be worth moving your broadband to a different provider to get use of a new customer deal and then switch to Sky Stream if you want and negoitate a new 18 month contract which depending on which packages you add you should be able to get from somewhere between £30-80/month

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Niguel1 This message was authored by: Niguel1

So my partner for instance has Q set up to record Emmerdale each day....is this still possible???

@Niguel1 wrote:

So my partner for instance has Q set up to record Emmerdale each day....is this still possible???

Sort of. You would add it to a playlist then Emmerdale will play back from the ITVX app. You will only be able to fast forward through the ads if you have the ad-skipping pack on Sky Stream. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Niguel1 wrote:

Sort of. You would add it to a playlist then Emmerdale will play back from the ITVX app. You will only be able to fast forward through the ads if you have the ad-skipping pack on Sky Stream.  Or pay for ITV X Premium. 

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Rebelfairy This message was authored by: Rebelfairy

Thanks everyone who has replied - much appreciated, and @Mitch16  that is exactly what I thought.

I did phone Sky back to cancel and the rep said I had got through to a sales rep on my previous call which is why he wasn't offering me any discounts. That  didn't make me want to continue with Sky at all.

I think my conclusion is that we shall swap suppliers for broadband and tv and get the offers for being new customers from a new supplier.

I have been with Sky for 11 years and they go on about my being a loyal customer, but it seems to count for nothing  when I am looking to  upgrade my package because of a house move, and the loyalty rewards they offer are of no interest to me so are worthless. Needles to say I have no loyalty to Sky. 

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@Padam_Padam wrote:

@Niguel1 wrote:

Sort of. You would add it to a playlist then Emmerdale will play back from the ITVX app. You will only be able to fast forward through the ads if you have the ad-skipping pack on Sky Stream.  Or pay for ITV X Premium. 

Which, if you watch a lot of ITV content, I strongly urge people to do as it removes ads, rather than makes them clumsily fast forwardable.... 

This message was authored by Niguel1 This message was authored by: Niguel1

So how much extra is the Ad free pack

So you may as well just put it in your watchlist on ITVX and save yourself wads of money. It seems like you pay heaps of cash just to have things in one place. Doesn't seem like great value to me.

£5 per month. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion