Discussion topic: Sky cinema UHD

This message was authored by dangledowns This message was authored by: dangledowns

Sky cinema UHD

Hi all

just switched to sky stream, I have UHD on my account and the settings are correct for the picture quality. And when I go to Sky Sports Maij Evebt it is listed as ME UHD on the guide and streams in UHD

On sky cinema though, do they not also broadcast in UHD automatically or do I need ti do what I used to on Sky Q and search for the UHD version

juat though that maybe cinema would be like Sports and have a default UHD stream 

All Replies

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Re: Sky cinema UHD

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @dangledowns 

Sky cinema don't have a UHD version like Sky Sports. All cinema UHD content is on demand. You will see the UHD and HDR labels on each movie where available. You can also say UHD voice command to be shown UHD content.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@dangledowns wrote:

Hi all

just switched to sky stream, I have UHD on my account and the settings are correct for the picture quality. And when I go to Sky Sports Maij Evebt it is listed as ME UHD on the guide and streams in UHD

On sky cinema though, do they not also broadcast in UHD automatically or do I need ti do what I used to on Sky Q and search for the UHD version

juat though that maybe cinema would be like Sports and have a default UHD stream 

You need to use the On Demand section same as Sky Q.  Thre is  no Live UHD channel for Sky Cinema.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@dangledowns 

I think the assumption would be there's a UHD Sports Main Event on Glass/Stream to match the broadcast UHD channel on Q over the satellite link. There's no broadcast Sky Cinema in UHD via satellite.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
dangledowns
Topic Author
This message was authored by dangledowns This message was authored by: dangledowns

Thanks everyone for the answers

This message was authored by WC1989 This message was authored by: WC1989

What a shame I just subscribed to Sky Cinema on Stream thinking there would be lots of UHD channels! As I was disappointed with Sky sports only having F1 and Main event in UHD.. Now I find out there are no live channels in UHD I feel conned 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@WC1989  Not sure how you feel conned as nowhere on the Sky website does it state cinema has a UHD channel.  Perhaps more research should have been carried out before signing up?

There is plenty of Info about Glass and Stream on the Sky help pages, even a channel list

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

yes it does, under UHD & Dolby Atmos it says "applies to sky entertainment, sky cinema and sky sports only" pathetic that no channels are UHD only on demand, if they actually mentioned that specifically I wouldn't have bothered subscribing to cinema. So don't sprout nonsense at me. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@WC1989 simply do what many others including me do which is to watch movies on demand where the UHD version should show up automatically if you have set UHD as your default. The linear Sky Cinema channels are effectively redundant on a streaming platform.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Dazzasky This message was authored by: Dazzasky

@WC1989 wrote:

yes it does, under UHD & Dolby Atmos it says "applies to sky entertainment, sky cinema and sky sports only" pathetic that no channels are UHD only on demand, if they actually mentioned that specifically I wouldn't have bothered subscribing to cinema. So don't sprout nonsense at me. 

It doesn't actually state a "live " channel and it also states " where available" you can just stream the content, so I'm not really sure what the problem is. 

If you start live movies from the beginning, funnily enough some of them turn UHD. Guess it'll do 🤷‍♂️ 

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

@WC1989 that's because watching from start is watching on demand and as many already advised this is how UHD for cinema works on ALL Sky platforms.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion