Discussion topic: Sky Stream Playlist not tracking Disney+ progress

This message was authored by unadopted This message was authored by: unadopted

Sky Stream Playlist not tracking Disney+ progress

Hi all,

Recently joined Disney+ and noticed when I add a show from this service to my Playlist on Sky Stream, it doesn't track my progress through a season/show like other apps do. It always offers me season 1, episode 1 for Disney+ shows, others take me back to the episode I was on, or even show if I stopped part way through an episode.

Is this just how things are with Disney+ on Sky Stream? Did I miss a setting somewhere? Or stumbled on a bug perhaps?

Best Answers
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice Answer

Re: Sky Stream Playlist not tracking Disney+ progress

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Yes, Disney+ does not offer any playlist or continue watching rail connection on Sky Stream.

A deal for it to work has not been struck between Sky and Disney +, so we have heard.

As many of us have done and it may help in the future would suggest sending an email to the Sky Viewer relations team to request it;

ViewerR@sky.uk

They do respond to emails with any updates for your queries or problems.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@unadopted wrote:

Hi all,

Recently joined Disney+ and noticed when I add a show from this service to my Playlist on Sky Stream, it doesn't track my progress through a season/show like other apps do. It always offers me season 1, episode 1 for Disney+ shows, others take me back to the episode I was on, or even show if I stopped part way through an episode.

Is this just how things are with Disney+ on Sky Stream? Did I miss a setting somewhere? Or stumbled on a bug perhaps?

This is just how it is with Disney+ on Stream. 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice Answer

Yes, Disney+ does not offer any playlist or continue watching rail connection on Sky Stream.

A deal for it to work has not been struck between Sky and Disney +, so we have heard.

As many of us have done and it may help in the future would suggest sending an email to the Sky Viewer relations team to request it;

ViewerR@sky.uk

They do respond to emails with any updates for your queries or problems.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
unadopted
Topic Author
This message was authored by unadopted This message was authored by: unadopted

That's a shame, but thanks to you both for confirming! Maybe one day...

This message was authored by IWTD This message was authored by: IWTD

It beggars belief a deal between Sky and Disney is required,, so who exactly is paying who for this functionality with other services, common sense would dictate it benefits both parties, but then common sense is now a dirty word and generally considered a 'hate crime' in the dystopian 2020s, and there was me crossing my fingers that Sky would get it working in 1.3 🤦‍♂️

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@IWTD appardntly its not for the want of asking by Sky but corporations like Disney tend to think they know best. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@IWTD wrote:

It beggars belief a deal between Sky and Disney is required,, so who exactly is paying who for this functionality with other services, common sense would dictate it benefits both parties, but then common sense is now a dirty word and generally considered a 'hate crime' in the dystopian 2020s, and there was me crossing my fingers that Sky would get it working in 1.3 🤦‍♂️

Of course it requires Disney to share this information with Sky. If Disney won't provide a mechanism for Sky to extract this information from the Disney+ then Sky won't be able to track which shows have been started (and thus can appear on the Continue Watching rail) from the Sky OS.

To be honest not really that surprising as Disney do have a habit of doing some strange things. (i.e the recent removing of epsiode/film  running times).  I can understand why initially they may have been hesitant but they fact that all their other app competitors are allowing Sky to access this information and they still cant/won't is a bit bemusing.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Astongooner This message was authored by: Astongooner

It is frustrating especially as they share data with others to enable tracking to take place such as Apple TV 

Ex Sky Q current Sky Stream user
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@IWTD wrote:

Of course it requires Disney to share this information with Sky. If Disney won't provide a mechanism for Sky to extract this information from the Disney+ then Sky won't be able to track which shows have been started (and thus can appear on the Continue Watching rail) from the Sky OS.

To be honest not really that surprising as Disney do have a habit of doing some strange things. (i.e the recent removing of epsiode/film  running times).  I can understand why initially they may have been hesitant but they fact that all their other app competitors are allowing Sky to access this information and they still cant/won't is a bit bemusing.

Disney allow Apple to track viewing progress via the Up Next rail on the Apple TV box, so there must be some beef between Disney & Comcast, or their app developers are just lazy, but there's no legitimate reason why it can't be on Sky's platform too. 

@Padam_Padam Yep when we still had Q we used the Apple TV for all the apps, of course it swings and roundabouts as the Apple TV up next does not support Netflix, we just find that entertainment os is just superior in content discovery and bringing together the different services, Disney missing has been the elephant in the room for us. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

The Amazon Prime tracking could also be a lot better. I've always found it odd that whilst you can watch the "Freevee" branded shows via the Amazon Prime app and not require a specific Freevee app, Freevee shows do not track under the Continue Watching nor are they searchable and thus able to be playlisted on the Sky streaming platform.

Most likely purely a software limitation with the API used to return data from Amazon Prime, but i'm surprised Amazon haven't fixed that to allow the Freevee tagged shows to returned and act in the same way as pure Prime shows are.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

@IWTD wrote:

@Padam_Padam Yep when we still had Q we used the Apple TV for all the apps, of course it swings and roundabouts as the Apple TV up next does not support Netflix, we just find that entertainment os is just superior in content discovery and bringing together the different services, Disney missing has been the elephant in the room for us. 

Swings and roundabouts indeed. I much prefer the cleaner & faster tvOS on the Apple TV box. Much more versatile and I personally don't like being thrust content to 'discover' all the time. Netflix has its own continue watching rail on the top shelf of tvOS so it's no big deal not having it on the Up Next rail. 

Entertainment OS is excellent for those that want a steady stream of fresh content thrown at them all the time - it's a good way to discover new series if you don't read newspapers, magazines, blogs, or websites, or listen to TV/movie podcasts.  

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

The Amazon Prime tracking could also be a lot better. I've always found it odd that whilst you can watch the "Freevee" branded shows via the Amazon Prime app and not require a specific Freevee app, Freevee shows do not track under the Continue Watching nor are they searchable and thus able to be playlisted on the Sky streaming platform.

Most likely purely a software limitation with the API used to return data from Amazon Prime, but i'm surprised Amazon haven't fixed that to allow the Freevee tagged shows to returned and act in the same way as pure Prime shows are.

Prime shows and movies themselves can act funny when they are first added, sometimes in my experience it takes 24-72 hours for them to fully integrate into the continue watching rail,  watching them on day of release can result in weird issues, the new Saw film only showed as half watched on the continue watching rail, it was fully watched on the prime app, and this was not a case of the puck needing a power cycle as it was occurring on every puck in the house, where playing the last couple of seconds of show on different puck will get rid of it from continue watching in that scenario, going back and playing it again and skipping through to the end a couple of days later got rid of it, in other cases both the newest episode of The Grand Tour and Clarkson's Farm has resulted in continue watching acting as if nothing is being watched then suddenly picking it perfectly within the 24-72 hour time period in the case of Clarckson's Farm. 

@Padam_Padam wrote

Entertainment OS is excellent for those that want a steady stream of fresh content thrown at them all the time - it's a good way to discover new series if you don't read newspapers, magazines, blogs, or websites, or listen to TV/movie podcasts.  

That comes pretty close to us in a nutshell bar a digital newspaper subscription, we have also completely abandoned all social media with the current insanity on both sides, we have the newest model of Apple TV and it blows stream out of the water in terms of hardware and sheer performance, but it's all personal preference, I suppose it will also depend on taste and we find the shows Sky put forward are mostly what we would watch anyway. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion