Discussion topic: Sky Stream Ads in OnDemand Vs Now TV Commercial Free, Really Why?

This message was authored by Mr+Michael+P This message was authored by: Mr+Michael+P

Sky Stream Ads in OnDemand Vs Now TV Commercial Free, Really Why?

I know im discussing another platform in Now TV but because its owned by Sky although run seperatly I think it will be ok to prove the point?

Why is it Sky Stream on demand content is littered with poorly implemented adverts at what i would consider a premium price but the Now TV platform has the same on demand library totallty commecial free with the appropriate addon? Why is this? is it simply because we except it, because I truly dont understand how this makes sense?

I wanted to watch season 1 of true detective on Sky Stream full of adverts that are implement fairly poorly mid conversation in a scene for example then even with the ad skip option not exactly easy to skip to get it perfectly to get back into the show you always miss abit of dialogue for example or go back slightly further then get some of the ads its a mess for a paid add on.

Take Now TV watching true detective offered a deal for entertainment + Movies plus HD Boost for about £13 this let me watch the same totally commerical free much more enjoyable experience. So the only reason to stay on Sky Stream would be 4K TV shows and sport which i do enjoy just dont make sense to keep paying a premium as sky stream costs much more than Now TV but littered with ads which just should not exist, at least there should be a paid option to remove ads such as they already do on Netflix, Disney+ and soon Prime Video. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Jones_The_Cat This message was authored by: Jones_The_Cat

Re: Sky Stream Ads in OnDemand Vs Now TV Commercial Free, Really Why?

@Mr+Michael+P 

I agree with you. I find advertising to be abhorrent and whilst I realise that it is necessary in order for channels to operate, I am perfectly happy to pay for their removal. As a result I pay for Netflix Premium, ITVX Premium and Channel 4+ in order to get a truly ad-free experience. 

Ad skipping on Sky Stream is, in my opinion, an abomination. £5pm should remove all ads, not offer you the option of fast forwarding through them in a glitchy, imprecise manner. 

It is for this reason that I too took up a subscription to NOW Entertainment for the princely sum of £2.99pm + £1pm for Boost. The Sky shows we watch are much better viewed this way, without the incessant advertising breaks. 

The experience has led me to decide to cancel my Sky Stream subscription at the earliest opportunity as it's just not worth the cost. 

Mr+Michael+P
Topic Author
This message was authored by Mr+Michael+P This message was authored by: Mr+Michael+P

I am sadly reaching the same conclusion to cancel sky stream in July once my contract is due just on the basis of these ads with on demand if NOW tv had 4k it would make sky stream totally pointless I just can't get my head around that they market sky stream as there more premium product but the truth is that the better experience watching HD shows through on demand is on Now TV at a better price as it's commercial free. 

Mr+Michael+P
Topic Author

Just gone to watch landscape artist of the year also now as adverts episode 1 never, if you want to watch portrait artist of the year in UHD it will be ad free which is great why are they picking between sky made shows some do have ads and some do not, switched over to now tv can watch landscape artist no adverts at all,  this is so stupid from the powers above or just greedy. 

The poor old BBC struggling for money these days and the country would go up in uproar if they started including adverts whilst still charging a licence fee, but I say why dont they do just that if its ok for sky stream to do exactly that charge a large fee and shovel adverts into on demand. Disgraceful. I will really miss 4K football as you cant get that on Now TV but i will do without it after my contract is up in July.

This message was authored by Darth2603 This message was authored by: Darth2603

I too will be cancelling Sky Stream when my contract ends in July. The ad-skipping feature is just terrible. For £5 per month, it should be removing adverts entirely. It is a real shame because otherwise I have found Sky Stream to be a great product. It is however sufficiently annoying to persuade me to switch to NowTV and give up 4k. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jones_The_Cat You may recall from a discussion we had on another thread that I am also thinking of taking a NOW subscription.  Although I have not done so yet I am getting more and more tempted and initially I would have both Sky & NOW in order to make comparisons.  I would not mind the Add skipping if the FF/RW worked decently on Glass/Stream but it is absolutely useless.  I have found that generally it is better to use the voice commands.

The BBC claim to not have adverts which is true in the commercial sense but they simply advertise their own programmes ALL the time.  The occasional one is OK but the other day I counted five BBC adverts between two programmes which to me is taking the proverbial.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
This message was authored by Ripleys_Cat This message was authored by: Ripleys_Cat

@Fothergill1 wrote:

@Jones_The_Cat You may recall from a discussion we had on another thread that I am also thinking of taking a NOW subscription.  Although I have not done so yet I am getting more and more tempted and initially I would have both Sky & NOW in order to make comparisons.  I would not mind the Add skipping if the FF/RW worked decently on Glass/Stream but it is absolutely useless.  I have found that generally it is better to use the voice commands.

The BBC claim to not have adverts which is true in the commercial sense but they simply advertise their own programmes ALL the time.  The occasional one is OK but the other day I counted five BBC adverts between two programmes which to me is taking the proverbial.

I'm afraid @Jones_The_Cat got banned yesterday for trying to be helpful but I'm back... until they decide to ban me again anyway! 
If you've not tried NOW before then it's definitely worth giving it a whirl. The lack of ads makes such a difference (for me at least) as I find them utterly intolerable, and the woeful ad-skipping on Stream only made it worse. 
I get what you mean about the BBC - I suppose the only thing they can advertise is their own content! 
To be honest we never watch anything live so we rarely, if ever, see any ads at all. ITVX Premium & Channel 4+ both remove ads completely & work well so they're worth paying for an annual sub if you watch a lot of their content. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion