Discussion topic: Select Local TV area (ITV, bbc and news etc)

This message was authored by Adamf1987 This message was authored by: Adamf1987

Select Local TV area (ITV, bbc and news etc)

I live in Dartford, technically in Kent, and so based on postcode it appears sky have defaulted my stream puck to pick up BBC south east and Kent local news. However for my entire life our local TV has always been BBC London as we pick up from the Crystal Palace transmitter. It may seem immaterial, but to not have the local news be from BBC London is really irritating given that that is more relevant to us with the train and tube updates in the morning before work, local news and local weather etc.

I can't see in the settings how to select my local transmitter, or which department in sky I need to call their website very much directs you to this forum first before you can speak to them. 

thanks in advance

Best Answers
This message was authored by GordonTGopher This message was authored by: GordonTGopher Answer

Re: Select Local TV area (ITV, bbc and news etc)

Posted by a Sky employee

Your regional channels are fixed to your postcode. With terrestrial TV there will be overlapping transmitter coverage but with satellite, cable and streaming services your correct region can be applied to how the country was broken down regionally.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Adamf1987 wrote:

I can't see in the settings how to select my local transmitter, 

There is no 'local transmitter' for Glass/Stream: it's a service delivered from Sky servers, and regional variations are set by the subscription address postcode registered against the Sky account.  

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Adamf1987
Topic Author
This message was authored by Adamf1987 This message was authored by: Adamf1987

How do I get them to change the stream they send to my postcode?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Adamf1987 

I suspect there's no mechanism for doing so without actually moving house.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by GordonTGopher This message was authored by: GordonTGopher Answer

Posted by a Sky employee

Your regional channels are fixed to your postcode. With terrestrial TV there will be overlapping transmitter coverage but with satellite, cable and streaming services your correct region can be applied to how the country was broken down regionally.

This message was authored by OpinionatedChas This message was authored by: OpinionatedChas

Fixed? I don't think so. Some days my BBC local news is from East Anglian region and other days its from the London region. So something else other than Postcode influences this.

This message was authored by Kerry9991 This message was authored by: Kerry9991

I recently got sky Stream and I live in DA1 postcode but have to put up with London local news, the following comes from the post office clearly stating that DA1 is in Kent not London (and never has been) 

The DA1 postcode area is located in the Dartford postcode town region, within the county of Kent, and contains a total of 1744 individual postcodes.

If as stated above that sky select your news channels by post codes then surely sky should replace the London news with the more relevant south east news which covers the DA1 post code as highlighted by tonight's news. You probably don't realise how frustrating it was to put up with London mayoral elections especially when you can't vote as you not in London.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Kerry9991 this is not something Sky have any control of the regional programmes that each post code is set to are determined by the BBC and ITV. It can be furustrating but for the BBC you can find BBC1 South East on ch 959 which if you set up,a favourite chanbel list you can set to be ch1. You cant do the same with ITV variants though.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Bill051 This message was authored by: Bill051

@Adamf1987 

What channel . There are a whole range of regional cahannels starting at 951 for london. Not sure if they work . Will check after 10 o'clock news.

Sky Broadband, Sky Stream via ethernet
Amazon Firestick
Previously VM
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Bill051  All BBC Regions starting from 951 are clearly labeled which region each one is for, they are not all for London 🙂

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

On channel 951  after the headlines there was a preview of the London news.

I'm in Liverpool.

@Adamf1987 

Amazon Firestick
Previously VM

@GD1.

@Adamf1987  wants London News so it's 951.

Amazon Firestick
Previously VM
This message was authored by Petra7 This message was authored by: Petra7

I've moved from south east to east anglia, near Dias. I am still getting south east as my local news. Sky has my new postcode so why am I still getting south east news?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion